How do you pee?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.

How do you pee?

Wideband Caths
10%
Freedom Caths
8%
She-P
4%
Foley (you're crazy)
No votes
It Depends
8%
Wetsuit
8%
Hold It & Sprint
61%

Total votes: 49

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: How do you pee?

Post by CaptnJack »

Kalatin wrote:Here is my worry with a She-P - I can't pee in a wetsuit. Seriously. I've tried and I just get major stage fright. I have some weird mental block when it comes to peeing in my clothes, even when it results in a mad dash to the bathroom immediately upon exiting the water. Has anyone else overcome stage fright to move onto well-hydrated diving joy? Anyone install a P-valve and find that they have a weird mental block against using it?
1) Seems to be more common with the girls, go figure lol
2) You'll get over it, trust in the force
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Gooch wrote:Hold it...I noticed, however, that doing that changes my behaviour though for both warm and cold diving. I tend to watch more of what I drink before the dives in the cold so I don't drink that thirstytwo ouncer 1 hour before hitting the water. In the warm water, I find I have a hard time going at all since I have conditioned myself not to go in my suit at all. Though, I noticed the warm water thing changes pretty quickly once you are diving a bit there :)
Sounds like you are rationing fluids and keeping yourself on the edge of dehydration. Peeing ALOT really is optimal and one of the best ways to help prevent "undeserved" DCS.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

I'm aware of the whole DCS angle and because of that, I tend to bulk up with fluids in the days before I know I'm going diving and as long as I know I have some time to "off gas" the liquids (in time). The hydration thing is more than a just-before-the-dive- drink right? And I don't try to overdo the not drinking thing; I know that no matter what, if I go right b4 the dive, I can hold out for the measly 45-60 minutes I can do on an AL80. 'course, that all could change if I go to the next phase of diving :)

Laura, I think the work you have done with both the posts on your site and the she-p are really great. Diving does tend to be too much of a guy dominated sport and I think its really cool to have brave women go out there and show everyone how it's done.

.....and, what this post really needs is more cowbell. (sorry-couldn't help myself) :neener:
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Kate, I find it pretty difficult to pee WHILE I'm diving, even with the She-P (or in a wetsuit, for that matter). I usually have to stop for a moment, as kicking and peeing don't seem to go well together at all. I don't actually use the She-P that often WHILE I'm on a dive, but when you are floating and waiting your turn to get back on the boat, or before you begin the walk out of the water, that's a great time to let go. Being in a vertical orientation seems to help my mental block a lot.

Lizard0923, you don't have to do long dives to wish you had a way to pee. The first time I was invited out on rjack's boat for a day of diving, I was appalled to realize that BECAUSE OF ME, we had to put in somewhere where I could get off the boat and use a restroom (because the options on a 12 foot RIB with two guys I'd never met before simply weren't appetizing). She-Ps make days on head-less boats a snap, and make you no more irritating than anybody else to invite out to go diving.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well I just installed a Grommet in the groin area of my dry suit and I tie a piece of twine to well you know. Then when I just about get into the wateer I pull on the twine and pull myself thru and it amazingly self seals.The hard part is at the end of the dive I have to exit facing away from the shore and I will not explain the technic that I use to get myself back to normal.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: OK now did anyone actually believe that I hope not.

:banplz:
Jeff Castor
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

pogiguy05 wrote:Well I just installed a Grommet in the groin area of my dry suit and I tie a piece of twine to well you know. Then when I just about get into the wateer I pull on the twine and pull myself thru and it amazingly self seals.The hard part is at the end of the dive I have to exit facing away from the shore and I will not explain the technic that I use to get myself back to normal.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: OK now did anyone actually believe that I hope not.

:banplz:
Careful, Sounder is contemplating avoiding the whole band-aid action as we speak...
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Norris wrote:
dwashbur wrote:
dsteding, I'm not a beer drinker, but if this is a successful hijack you could buy me a screwdriver :roll:

:dontknow:
Okay, make it a vodka Collins instead (I really want to see what you do with that one!)...

Kalatin, I didn't go in my wetsuit for nearly 2 years simply because I didn't want to "soil" it. Then one day I had no choice, and after that it got easy. Then I went dry and had to start holding it again.

We're working on getting a book we discovered about wet and dry suit repair etc. and one of the things it includes is how to install a P-valve. It's definitely on my list, but the $$$ only goes so far and it's not especially high on the list. So for now, I try to watch my fluid intake, and use a Depends in case of emergency. Still, I'm taking notes on the various brands of valves, costs, reviews, etc. and am interested in as many opinions as folks want to offer.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

OK, I'm inspired to try this out this weekend. I'll connect the plumbing, charge the system, and drink until my eyeballs float on Saturday!

I'll report my experiences back...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

scottsax wrote:OK, I'm inspired to try this out this weekend. I'll connect the plumbing, charge the system, and drink until my eyeballs float on Saturday!

I wondered whether stacking the deck (drinking a ton of fluids) would help one learn to combat stage fright. I look forward to your report!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:
scottsax wrote:OK, I'm inspired to try this out this weekend. I'll connect the plumbing, charge the system, and drink until my eyeballs float on Saturday!

I wondered whether stacking the deck (drinking a ton of fluids) would help one learn to combat stage fright. I look forward to your report!
That was my thought. I had to overload in Bonaire to go in my wetsuit...
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

scottsax wrote:
Sounder wrote:

That was my thought. I had to overload in Bonaire to go in my wetsuit...
I didn't have ANY trouble in Bonaire... here's to hoping the same goes here. :mmmbeer: The trouble with the wetsuit is that when I peed, I would then want to flush the suit with water to get all the pee out... then all my warmth went away. I guess if it was really cold, I'd get over the "I'm laying in my own piss" thing.

I've got some caths and I'm going to do a dry-run this weekend.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

as a side note proper hydration cant be done on the way to a dive, it really helps to start the night before.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:I guess if it was really cold, I'd get over the "I'm laying in my own piss" thing.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbFTdiBa9cg[/youtube]
Sounder wrote:I've got some caths and I'm going to do a dry-run this weekend.
Jeesh all this practice over a condom?? Just put the dang thing on and pee, done.

If anyone deserves to practice a bit in the shower it would be the girls. Getting a she-p stuck on isn't that hard (based on what the Mrs. tells me) but does take a minor amount of positioning skill where she can't see.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

CaptnJack wrote: Jeesh all this practice over a condom?? Just put the dang thing on and pee, done.
Maybe it is a Foley . . . that was an option.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

dsteding wrote:
CaptnJack wrote: Jeesh all this practice over a condom?? Just put the dang thing on and pee, done.
OW! :eek:

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

scottsax wrote:
dsteding wrote:
OW! :eek:
Yeah, that's not even a funny joke. :yipes:
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Sounder, does all this fretting and "practicing" make you a Cove 2 Condom Commando?

:rocket:
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

dsteding wrote:Sounder, does all this fretting and "practicing" make you a Cove 2 Condom Commando?

At this point, it makes me a Snoqualmie Ridge Cyper Condom Commando... I haven't actually tried yet.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Sounder wrote:
dsteding wrote:Sounder, does all this fretting and "practicing" make you a Cove 2 Condom Commando?

At this point, it makes me a Snoqualmie Ridge Cyper Condom Commando... I haven't actually tried yet.
I can see it now :smt064
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:

Don't worry they peel right off

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DsEpNOQ ... re=related[/youtube]
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

=D> :rofl:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Burntchef wrote:as a side note proper hydration cant be done on the way to a dive, it really helps to start the night before.
Duly noted, Howard. Commencing hydration as we speak...

:salute:

pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

For those who might not know with the external condom catheter and I would say she p. You can also buy what is called a BARD protective wipes that you put on before to protect your skin from the adhesive. A box of 50 cost about $14 at A&H Pharmacy in Renton. Also they sell adhesive remover wipes also but I have not used this type.
Jeff Castor
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Happy Independence Day!!!

Post by ljjames »

News flash!

so those of you who saw our 'mini-booth' at DEMA or the tacoma dive and travel show may have seen the "blue she-p" and have been curious regarding our release date for the 'next gen' of slightly softer, colored she-p's

well, that time is NOW!

We are doing a limited edition run of the Blue-P!!! (sorry, no red/white/blue She-P yet)

to kick off this and to celebrate our INDEPENDENCE from DEPENDS!!, She-P North America is offering free shipping for orders placed in the months of June and July!

Should also have a rough cut of the new application and cleaning video in the next week... Stay tuned!!

happy diving!!

-Laura
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
kagey747
Avid Diver

Post by kagey747 »

Here is my experience FWIW, I have a Halcyon balanced streamlined and use Freedom catheter-condoms. The Freedom because that's what my local pharmacy sells, although I'd like to try the widebands.

1. Change the stock neoprene hose for one that is smoother and a bit more flexible. The neoprene hose pulls hair when it rubs and, although I don't mind shaving my unit, I'll be d-mned if I'll shave nipples-to-knees.

2. Dress UP. Although I dress left in cloths, and the valve is on my left thigh, when I trimmed the hose for a down-left dress, it just didn't work all that well. Several times a kink developed between the catheter nipple and the hose, causing the condom to blow up like a balloon, putting undue pressure on the adhesive strip and a resulting in a decrease in my drysuit detergent stocks. Plan on a sufficient length of hose to describe a shepherd's crook from the valve, up and over your briefs, connecting to the catheter.

3. I have found a QD to be well worth the cost. I often dress/undress in a fairly public location (parking lots, boat ramps) and while standing in my skivvies seldom raises eybrows, fumbling around with both hands in my crotch while trying to stretch the condom nipple over the barbs and sliding them home would probably get me arrested. With the QD it's a quick and discreet click.

4. I don my condom catheter in the privacy of my home. As the name implies, it's much easier and efficient to put the thing on with a , um, well, firm base, to work with. After donning, I trim the extended nipple and install the male portion of the QD so that it basically forms a single unit- much more resistant to kinking. You will still be able to relieve yourself normally before the dive, although the fine control necessary for writing your name in the snow will be lost.

5. Wear briefs while diving. I personally prefer the freedom of boxers, but freedom of movement is the last thing you want with your plumbing hooked up to the suit's, and with the added complication of diving squeeze. After taking the time to ensure everything is properly situated before the dive, you really want it to stay that way.

6. My deco instructor showed me how to connect the hose to my suspenders with a loop of rubber band, string, or velcro. It makes a world of difference while donning the suit. Few things will raise eyebrows faster than to be doubled over, cussing, with both hands down your drysuit leg trying to fish the hose out from behind your thigh.

7. Once you are all hooked up, remember to pee often. Don't wait 'till you can't hold it any more and let loose with a mini-Niagra. The plumbing is designed for constant-flow, not sudden surge. Pee often. Pee small. Pee with confidence. Trust me, you may get away with gushing once or twice, but if you make a habit of it you WILL be washing.

8. I like the QD with a check-valve. After the dive, a quick click and I'm free, without splattering the 2 tablespoons of anti-DCI fluid all over my Weezles. A quick flush with a squeeze bottle of alcohol solution finishes the suit portion.

9. Removing the condom is painless if you take your time and simply roll it back off. Maintain tension on the skin with your other hand and there is very little discomfort. Since you will have both hands in your crotch and a great deal of concentration for this operation, I normally wait until I am in the privacy of my home or at least a bathroom to do it.

Now you can experience long deco-stops in comfort, paddle about waiting for your turn to board the boat with ease, and smile as your non-p-valve-equipped buddies frantically shed gear and run for the head.