Whidbey Island Critters

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Scott G
Aquaphile

Re: Whidbey Island Critters

Post by Scott G »

Yeah, I have no idea...

I've ID'd a Aleutian and another (tranparent maybe?) moon snail in the past, both were from ~600' depth... and i think thats where they most probably live... however, on vague remembrence's they look roughly like yours.... kind of pinkish and dainty.

I think the ID was related to the opercular aperture...

Anyway, i would still agree with your ID primarily, but just wondered... I have some books i can check monday.

again, cool find,
Scott
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Wow, I just saw an adult moon snail yesterday at Les Davis, and was wondering what it was. Lo and behold, there's a pic up when I got home... Awesome!

D(B)
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I didn't know we had any other moonsnails in this area at recreational depths.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

WylerBear wrote:I didn't know we had any other moonsnails in this area at recreational depths.
I have no idea, that's probably why it caught my eye. It was sitting there on the bottom, maybe around 30fws. I was eyeballing it because I thought it was a white anenome all chewed up, but then I saw that is seemed more like a big slug than remains. I saw the (antennae?) poking out, and stopped to check it out. Then I moved on, and didn't think about it until I saw the picture in this thread.

D(B)
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

We saw our first Lewis' moonsnail at Sund Rock while doing our AOW about 3 years ago. The official dive was "underwater naturalist," which in this case meant "I need a specialty dive for these guys to do so I'll pull this out of my butt." When I asked what an Underwater Naturalist dive was, the instructor's wife said "That's where you go down and look at critters, then come back up and ask him what they were." We said, okay, we can do that, so we did. We found at least half a dozen critters that we took (very bad, newbie-type) pictures of, and when we asked him what they were we learned that at least half a dozen critters at Sund Rock are called "Idunno." The moonsnail was one of them. Be thankful all over again that you have this group to help you along in your critter knowledge!!!!!!!!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Thanks Greg for your input, it would be interesting to see if your books reveal the true identity of the small snail.
At least, we know the name of this one, although it too is sometimes confusing, going from Metridium giganteum, to misnome Metridium senile in latin to White metridium, Frilled anemone, Giant metridium .... in common names.
The shrinking anemone:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Glad you like them :)
Anemones create some interesting objects when they deflate ...They sure don't resemble the
"normal" animal...

Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Harbo's shellfish book has this small, brown-spotted moonsnail as 'Arctic moonsnail' Euspira pallida; Lamb's book has it as the 'Aleutian moonsnail Cryptonatica aleutica. Lamb's is newer so probably more up to date on the taxonomy. These have a thick, calcareous operculum while our usual common Lewis's moonsnail has a thin, flexible brown operculum.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Greg Jensen wrote:Harbo's shellfish book has this small, brown-spotted moonsnail as 'Arctic moonsnail' Euspira pallida; Lamb's book has it as the 'Aleutian moonsnail Cryptonatica aleutica. Lamb's is newer so probably more up to date on the taxonomy. These have a thick, calcareous operculum while our usual common Lewis's moonsnail has a thin, flexible brown operculum.
Greg, thank you very much for your help. I am always happy to add new critter to my list. Maybe the cold weather we are having is bringing down some of the "arctic" species :) And since Cardiver found one also, maybe we will see now more of them...

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

It is sure great to have experts helping out with ID. First Scott G allerted us about the possibility this was probably not a baby Lewis's moonsnail and today we got confirmation from Greg. So back to the drawing board and correct the page. So fellow NWDC divers, look for the mottled foot and don't be fooled by the similarity as I was.
ALEUTIAN MOONSNAIL added to my list:

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Another one to add to my list of new critters found. Very small, living in the muck of Lagoon Point canal. With the help of Leslie who helped to ID it for me (thanks again).

dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Jan,
Can you define "very small" a little more precisely? I'm wondering if I've seen any of these :dontknow:
Dave

--
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

dwashbur wrote:Jan,
Can you define "very small" a little more precisely? I'm wondering if I've seen any of these :dontknow:
half inch, which for my old eyes equals "very small". The book (Lamb's) says up to 3 inches long .

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Dave I'm pretty sure you have because they are present at Les Davis and I know you have done it allot. They are usually down on the sides of the slabs near the bottom and kind of remind me of angles.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Thanks to both of you. I would have looked it up but all my books are packed; we head back west bright and early tomorrow morning!!!!!!!!!! YEEEEEEHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

I thought they looked a lot like some worms we've seen elsewhere, and especially at Les Davis. Now I know what to call them!
Dave

--
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Another critter of the muck. And another slug to add to my list. It was a chance encounter as I was swimming over the muddy bottom in less the 5 foot visibility at the end of dive, returning to my entry point when I spotted a dark dot on light colored mud. So I stopped and got off one shot before the water turbulance reached us and lifted the small (about 10mm) slug and whirled it around. Point and shoot, trying to get second shot, well, not well focused. Of course the fine mud provided a great cover for the critter and I did not get another chance. Well, maybe next time..

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Jan, you're a treasure.

On my dive last night, I saw two kinds of tubeworms that I recognized, simply because of your beautiful photographs and text. Reading these pages enriches all my dives. Thank you again for the work you put into doing this!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Jan K wrote:It is sure great to have experts helping out with ID. First Scott G allerted us about the possibility this was probably not a baby Lewis's moonsnail and today we got confirmation from Greg. So back to the drawing board and correct the page. So fellow NWDC divers, look for the mottled foot and don't be fooled by the similarity as I was.
ALEUTIAN MOONSNAIL added to my list:
Jan, I've seen those too, at both Redondo and 3 Tree, and just assumed they were wee Lewis' Moon Snails. Who knew? Very cool!

-Valerie
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Zen Diver 2 wrote: Jan, I've seen those too, at both Redondo and 3 Tree, and just assumed they were wee Lewis' Moon Snails. Who knew? Very cool! -Valerie
Now I saw four of them on my last dive in Holmes Harbor. Helps to get familiar with the critter. But all of them were very small, maybe little over half inch, so now, after I finally invested into corrected lenses in my mask, I am seeing more of the small stuff... Now I need camera which will focus on that small stuff better then my old Olympus..
Anyway, here is a worm I found on the same dive on Friday, thanks to Leslie who told me it is still an undescribed species, but she got some at Friday Harbor, so hopefully soon they will have their own scientific name.. I want to thank her for all the help she is giving us divers in identifying marine creatures we come across on our dives. And she is not even a certified diver! So once again, THANK YOU LESLIE !

Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Jan,
You never cease to amaze me!
Your photos and collages are fantastic!
As for the worm in the previous pic....How cool is that? It should be Jans' xxxxworm :)
And thanks for clarifying the Aluetian (sp) snail...too cool!
Thanks again. I get an education everytime with you and your pics.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I love the Leslie cartoon! But more of the centiped-y worms.... eeeeuuuuwwwww!!!! They are the one critter around here that really creep me out.

-Valerie
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Not trying to hijack, but it seems to me that since she already has such a massive level of knowledge, we need to get Leslie certified so we can go enjoy it all with her!!!!!!!!
Dave

--
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Finally, found the Cloud sponges close enough to be included in Whidbey Critters. Saturday was a perfect day to search for them, as the seas were smooth and sun was shining. I know for many of you Cloud sponges are an old hat, but for my buddy Todd and I, what a treat. Down in 92 feet the visibility was about 30 feet, so we had no trouble finding them, once we were in the right area. I had some issues with my strobe (isn't it always that way?) and I would like to spent more time with some of the clusters. Since it was our first, exploratory dive, we clicked here and there and kept going. Since some of the sponges show signs of breakage, I wonder if it might be caused by downrigger lead weights as this is a very favorite fishing spot. Plenty of small boats trawling here on Saturday... And so another critter is added to my personal list :)

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Fantastic! Cloud sponges are one of the reasons I wanted to get into doing deeper dives ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Cloud sponges are one of the reasons I wanted to get into doing deeper dives ...
Me, too!

Jan, you've done it again -- even after my reading about cloud sponges before our Saanich Inlet trip, I still didn't know that their soft tissue was a syncytium. I always learn something from your pages!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames