AOW Certification

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: AOW Certification

Post by Grateful Diver »

Mongo wrote:FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY

GUNS ARE GIVEN TO 18 YEAR OLDS TO FIGHT IN FOREIGN LANDS

16 YEAR OLDS ARE GIVEN THE ABILITY TO DRIVE

TWO YEAR OLDS ARE GIVEN LOLLIPOPS

MOST OF US HAVE KNOWN SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN KILLED BY ANY ONE OF THESE.

AS A COMMUNITY, DO WE REALLY WANT TO EAT OUR YOUNG?
Maybe ... with lemon ginger sauce, a side of sauteed mushrooms and a nice Belgian white ... :partyman:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Grateful Diver wrote:

Maybe ... with lemon ginger sauce, a side of sauteed mushrooms and a nice Belgian white ... :partyman:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I'm partaking in a nice Belgian white as I type.....
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

or with a good Tabasco sauce.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

cardiver wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I'm partaking in a nice Belgian white as I type.....
Had a Shock Top earlier this evening ... mmmmm ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

That's what I'm drinking.
Attachments
shock top.jpg
shock top.jpg (14.26 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
mz53480 wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:.....That left a stink for instructors ever since.
no, that was your drysuit because you didn't hook up your p-valve.
:penelope:
Hey I own a new shell suit now, and it has an H pee valve for when I start cave diving and other types needing it =D
Get yourself two P-valves with an isolation manifold. Then you can do away with the H valve ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Hahahahaha I fell over laughing.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:*sigh*

Looks like its time for our annual winter drama thread.
settle in, buddy. we still have many more months to go.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I've been enjoying this thread. Is it really that bad? I thought there was a reasonable discussion going on. And some good jokes too.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

airsix wrote:I've been enjoying this thread. Is it really that bad? I thought there was a reasonable discussion going on. And some good jokes too.
The Chianti and Fava beans are making me fart.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

airsix wrote:I've been enjoying this thread. Is it really that bad? I thought there was a reasonable discussion going on. And some good jokes too.
I don't think this thread has reached a rating on the NWDC Charlie Foxtrot Train Wreck Scale, but there are definite signs of Seasonally Affected Internet Diver Disorder peppered throughout.

Many of us have built up a naturally immunity to SAIDD after having spent a few seasons online navigating NWDC's wintertime landscape, giving us a thicker skin against sarcastic barbs and an understanding of when a SAIDD influenced post has intention of genuine concern or is just judgmental in nature. Over those seasons, online as well as in-person experiences have also allowed us to get to know the personalities behind the avatars, further dulling the impact of SAIDD influenced posts.

New members to NWDC often don't have that immunity. So when a thread like this goes from a simple question to a much bigger topic with pointed conversation, it can seem to the OP (and other members) as if they are at the center of a forest fire when they don't understand how they lit the match in the first place.

I agree with you, Ben, that there have been some good points made in this thread, made by divers we all respect. But there are also (perceived) testy overtones and reactions to those as well, making it a bit uncomfortable to some.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

It's the seasonal ales, Matt ... a bit of spice with some testy overtones ... I recommend the Jubelale ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:
I don't think this thread has reached a rating on the NWDC Charlie Foxtrot Train Wreck Scale, but there are definite signs of Seasonally Affected Internet Diver Disorder peppered throughout.

Many of us have built up a naturally immunity to SAIDD after having spent a few seasons online navigating NWDC's wintertime landscape, giving us a thicker skin against sarcastic barbs and an understanding of when a SAIDD influenced post has intention of genuine concern or is just judgmental in nature. Over those seasons, online as well as in-person experiences have also allowed us to get to know the personalities behind the avatars, further dulling the impact of SAIDD influenced posts.

New members to NWDC often don't have that immunity. So when a thread like this goes from a simple question to a much bigger topic with pointed conversation, it can seem to the OP (and other members) as if they are at the center of a forest fire when they don't understand how they lit the match in the first place.

I agree with you, Ben, that there have been some good points made in this thread, made by divers we all respect. But there are also (perceived) testy overtones and reactions to those as well, making it a bit uncomfortable to some.
This is, like, the definition of internet diving!
I gotta say though your definition of a "forest fire" is more like my weenie roast :angelblue:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Grateful Diver wrote:It's the seasonal ales, Matt ... a bit of spice with some testy overtones ... I recommend the Jubelale ...
mmm, beer. I should brew a winter diver ale of some kind....

CaptnJack wrote:This is, like, the definition of internet diving!
I gotta say though your definition of a "forest fire" is more like my weenie roast :angelblue:
More like "n00b's forest fire" = "CaptnJack's mild static electricity shock from dragging his feet on the carpet".
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

CaptnJack wrote:
This is, like, the definition of internet diving!
beenie weenie scale roast.

I look at most insults like this.

http://static.themetapicture.com/media/ ... s-Lock.jpg
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

It was a good question. A lot of good information was passed. I hope the OP can use it to attain his goals, and not feel attacked, cause I think a lot of points were brought up that are hard for a person getting started in this to see. I hope no ones feelers were hurt.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I learned everything in diving, from other experienced divers.. Not through classes

Ohhhhh page four .. I rules.. !!!!! :joshsmith:
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

On the Deco Stop scale, this thread doesn't even rate . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

H20doctor wrote:I learned everything in diving, from other experienced divers.. Not through classes

Lol....and what is your ppo2 at 99 ft with 32%?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

LCF wrote:On the Deco Stop scale, this thread doesn't even rate . . .
This ain't the Deco Stop. That's kind of my point. Sorry, I just got back from a week working out of town, and things are hectic. I have a point I want to make, but I want to take the time to do it right, so to speak. Nobody has crossed any major lines, here, and I'm not pointing any fingers or trying to single anyone out.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Joshua Smith wrote:....and I'm not pointing any fingers or trying to single anyone out.
yeah............Dashrynn.

:)
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Not all diving forums use the same set of metrics.

And as I and Josh both pointed out, there have been no actual transgressions. We're just asking people to keep things positive and avoid unnecessary argument.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

mz53480 wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:....and I'm not pointing any fingers or trying to single anyone out.
yeah............Dashrynn.

:)
Mz your mom......goes to scuba college! =_=

I really have no filter, if I sound like an ass, It's because I am. If I offend you, you can make me sound like an idiot with logic relative to the discussion. The main goal to most things I say is, to improve and evolve.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:
Not all diving forums use the same set of metrics.

And as I and Josh both pointed out, there have been no actual transgressions. We're just asking people to keep things positive and avoid unnecessary argument.
Shoot compared to the comments section of any Seattle Times article this thread doesn't rate. Its the internets, chill peoples :partyman:
H20doctor wrote:I learned everything in diving, from other experienced divers.. Not through classes

You da man!!!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Dashrynn wrote:

Lol....and what is your ppo2 at 99 ft with 32%?
29.7 % trox..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

So I usually don't post in threads like this one, and now that the thread has been sucessfully hi-jacked it is probably against my better judgement to address the original question. However, to the OP, becoming an OWI can be very rewarding, and it is an awesome goal. I wish you the best of luck in becoming a qualified and certified instructor.

My opinion on the AOW card is that it's actually not going to be on the "critical path" to becoming an instructor. At a minimum you need 100 dives beyond OW to qualify as an instructor, and I don't know many that got their OWI right at 100. So beside rescue, and dive master you're going to need to do a lot of other diving. Use that time to dive with as many different people as you can.

I know a lot of great divers who have good buoyancy skills, can resolve situations underwater, manage task loading etc. However very few of them have what is truely "demonstration quality" skills (including some certified instructors). That is the level that divers should be aspiring to when the want to become OWI. A class like essentials will help you really figure out what the little things are that change the quality from "very good" to "demonstration quality". You'll work on mastering the skills in the water column as opposed to sitting knees on the bottom, a demonstration that may be required from an OWI.

I also just think it's god to be exposed to as many flavors as you can find. If for no other reason you'll want to be able to serve the people that come into your shop even if they have different ideas about gear configuration, or ideology. I can think of at least one dive shop around here that gives me grief for using a BP/W setup.

I have never taken a class from NWGratefulDiver, but know enough about him as an instructor to say he's been exposed to a number of different diving environments, philosophies, and styles, and can answer any question you may have, and would bring great perspective to diving in the PNW, and what it takes to be a good instructor.

I have taken a class with Brian (as much as I'm sure he wants to forget those trainwrecks), and can say that if you want to see what I mean by demonstration quality, just dive with him one day, and you'll see what I mean. Both him and Jeanna have a very calming sense in the water because they have that demonstration quality mastery of the skills.

Lastly, there are a couple people that can come off on the board as pricks, but are actually great people, and even better divers. Don't write off anybody on the board until you have a good reason. By all mes Dive Dive Dive! And as always I'm up for diving, whenever!
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan