Air consumption

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Air consumption

Post by Joshua Smith »

Well, maybe I shouldn't even talk about it here, but I'm going to anyway.
Last night, I met my buddy for a dive. After gearing up in the rain, in the dark; I strapped on my computer, turned it on, and found out the batteries were kaput. Well, I really wanted to dive, so here's what I did- I hooked the SPG from my pony bottle to my tank, which sounds good, except for one small detail: It's on a 6 inch hose, and I was unable to read it. So, every few minutes throughout the dive, I had my buddy read my pressure. I know, I know, it's NOT a good idea, and nobody should ever do this under any circumstances, ever. And I probably won't. In my defense, I'll point out my 40 cf pony bottle, and the trustworthiness of my buddy.(who I'm not naming so as not to implicate him in my foolhardiness).

Here's the interesting part: my buddy has excellent air consumption, and I, well, don't. But when I couldn't see my air pressure, I kind of chose not to worry about it, and I relaxed more than I think I ever have underwater, and I had really great air consumption- with a profile like last night's, it would be pretty normal for me to surface with +/- 500 psi in my hp 119, and him to have +/-1500 psi in his lp 95. But I came up with 1200 psi, and he had, uh....I forget, but 1000 or less, I think. That was a real eye opener for me. I must figure out what kept me so relaxed last night and duplicate it!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You have an AI computer I take it?

He probably used more gas cause he was stressed out about constantly having to be responsible for yours!
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

CaptnJack wrote:You have an AI computer I take it?

He probably used more gas cause he was stressed out about constantly having to be responsible for yours!
You got that right Capt. I sure know when I dive with a buddy. (you all know the type that hangs out above and behind you just where they should not) and am constintly checking on them my consumption goes up. Diving solo with my camera back way down.

CaptnJack hit the NAILER on the head. :bootyshake:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Lol- no, really- I don't have the exact profile, because my computer was back in the van, but it was something like 107 feet, 35 minutes, with a fair bit around 60-70 feet. I'll have to check, but there's no way I'd come back with 1200 psi on a normal dive, so it wasn't just buddy w/ crappy air consumption.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Sub-conciously paying attention to your breathing because you knew you didn't have ready access to your guage, that, or maybe all your time in the water is morphing you into some ghastly aquatic creature. Soon, you wont need portable air at all, won't that be cool.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Gee? Who do we know on this board that dives LP 95's
that was a pretty big give away for me! :laughing3:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

BASSMAN wrote:Gee? Who do we know on this board that dives LP 95's
that was a pretty big give away for me! :laughing3:
I never said he or she was registered on the board! \:D/

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

:bootyshake:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

The mysterious 'he' was diving an HP80 (minitank), not an LP95(bertha). But, your consumption was still impressive, or so he says.
peo
Avid Diver

Post by peo »

Nailer99 wrote:Lol- no, really- I don't have the exact profile, because my computer was back in the van, but it was something like 107 feet, 35 minutes, with a fair bit around 60-70 feet. I'll have to check, but there's no way I'd come back with 1200 psi on a normal dive, so it wasn't just buddy w/ crappy air consumption.

Curious minds wonder, so you did the dive to 107 feet without being able to see your SPG. Did you have a depth gauge, since your computer was left in the car?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I thought it was air integrated with a dead battery. So I'd guess there was no gauge or visible spg.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Hmmmm, Kinda sounds like a reckless way to dive Mr Nailer... I like it, A rebel!! \:D/ I suppose you will be posting on how you like to "solo" dive next??

On a serious note, The one thing that I have learned is to call a dive! Sometimes it sucks but Getting complacent is usually what kills seasoned scuba divers. You read all the time on the web about competent divers that die.. Food for thought.. :salute:
Who run barter town?
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I dive an LP 95 and I was not there. but good for you naileer, be a rebel maybe next time you will dive the bouy line with me on a LP 72.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

If he was a real rebel?? He would do it on his 40.. :supz: " as the crowd chants" Nailer,nailer,nailer,nailer.. :bootyshake:
Who run barter town?
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

and if he was a super rebel he wold do it with no fins or suit. :prayer:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

No, if he was a real rebel?? He would do it in his THONG!!!! :supz: :pale:
Who run barter town?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

OK, I'll do it in a thong and pasties, but they have to be the sparkly pasties! And for my gas supply, I will take an upside down coffee cup, and sip air from it as needed.
Last edited by Joshua Smith on Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Where can I buy tickets??? :bounce:
Who run barter town?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Definite youtube fodder.
Jstockn
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Jstockn »

I Always dive with a SPG. I know it may be an extra hose but thats on thing your buddy's computer can not keep track of for you.
Jerome