Happy Veteran's Day!!

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
MrsDiverBob
Avid Diver

Happy Veteran's Day!!

Post by MrsDiverBob »

Happy Veteran's Day to all of you who served and/or continue to serve this great country! Thank you for your service!!!

:salute: :thankyouyellow:
MrsDiverBob
Avid Diver

Re: Happy Veteran's Day!!

Post by MrsDiverBob »

defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Heh. I admit, the first time I saw this commercial I got a little misty eyed, because I remember the many times I'd departed through airports, or returned home, and it was never to that. Hell, even my ex wife wouldn't come to see me on or off the boat. notice "ex".

D(B)
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Each and every time I see that commercial I choke up....I'm thankful and proud that most Americans now treasure their military and that attitudes toward those in uniform have changed for the better. I don't think that I have ever received so many e-mails, PMs and such from folks on Veterans' Day before as I did this year and it felt pretty good!

It wasn't always that way, though, and I remember well how a lot of us were treated in the past and some of the vile things that we were called. My "initiation" came when I landed at SeaTac in uniform and few people would even look me in the eye. Some would even walk out of their way to avoid me, and there was no welcome except for a buddy of mine that drove up from Fort Lewis (also in uniform) in his MG to pick me up. It was August and he had the top down on his MG. He parked out front and came inside to wait with me in baggage claim for my duffel-bag to slide down. When we went out to his car afterward we found that someone had dumped the contents of their full ash tray onto the seats of his car. An older man came over to help us clean it out....he was pretty embarrassed about it, but all the younger people hanging around seemed to think that it was pretty funny....in their eyes I guess we got what we deserved.

Our military has always been under the command and control of the elected civilian leadership of this nation, and as such follows the policies instituted by those civilian leaders. For some reason a large part of our citizenry chose in the 60's and 70's to despise us for that. I hope that Americans will never again allow that to happen....the whims of the electorate, and our politicians, can be fickle.

As for now, let us all take pride in the men and women that are serving us today in the military. They are truly the absolute best among us! =D> Please show them respect and honor whenever you can.

John (Former Sergeant, 1/31st Mechanized Infantry - DMZ "Imjin Scouts")

Sometimes I talk too darn much.....and shall now get off my soap-box. :blah:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

John Rawlings wrote:Each and every time I see that commercial I choke up....I'm thankful and proud that most Americans now treasure their military and that attitudes toward those in uniform have changed for the better. I don't think that I have ever received so many e-mails, PMs and such from folks on Veterans' Day before as I did this year and it felt pretty good!

It wasn't always that way, though, and I remember well how a lot of us were treated in the past and some of the vile things that we were called. My "initiation" came when I landed at SeaTac in uniform and few people would even look me in the eye. Some would even walk out of their way to avoid me, and there was no welcome except for a buddy of mine that drove up from Fort Lewis (also in uniform) in his MG to pick me up. It was August and he had the top down on his MG. He parked out front and came inside to wait with me in baggage claim for my duffel-bag to slide down. When we went out to his car afterward we found that someone had dumped the contents of their full ash tray onto the seats of his car. An older man came over to help us clean it out....he was pretty embarrassed about it, but all the younger people hanging around seemed to think that it was pretty funny....in their eyes I guess we got what we deserved.

Our military has always been under the command and control of the elected civilian leadership of this nation, and as such follows the policies instituted by those civilian leaders. For some reason a large part of our citizenry chose in the 60's and 70's to despise us for that. I hope that Americans will never again allow that to happen....the whims of the electorate, and our politicians, can be fickle.

As for now, let us all take pride in the men and women that are serving us today in the military. They are truly the absolute best among us! =D> Please show them respect and honor whenever you can.

John (Former Sergeant, 1/31st Mechanized Infantry - DMZ "Imjin Scouts")

Sometimes I talk too darn much.....and shall now get off my soap-box. :blah:
Nice post :salute: I had friendly welcomes in lax,and connecticut (submarine school) when i came here on the island it seemed alot diffrent....going home people acted diffrent towards me more proud i suppose.

Its not easy being persicuted and then turning around and serving the people who flip you off, or spit in your direction.