This storm sucks..

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

This storm sucks..

Post by DiverDown »

Who else is sick of this weather?? On top of all the flooding we've had, luckily it hasn't affected us. Until tonight the power is out and a tree came down on the neighbors house. They are ok but understandably shaken. I always find that a good dive always has a calming effect.. \:D/ . I hope every one is safe tonight with this windstorm...
Who run barter town?

Post by . »

On the positive side, the best thing for Hood Canal would be a good storm to stir up and oxygenate the stagnant water.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Brinybay wrote:On the positive side, the best thing for Hood Canal would be a good storm to stir up and oxygenate the stagnant water.
That is good news, cause are club dive is comming up soon.. :wav:
Who run barter town?

Post by . »

DiverDown wrote:
Brinybay wrote:On the positive side, the best thing for Hood Canal would be a good storm to stir up and oxygenate the stagnant water.
That is good news, cause are club dive is comming up soon.. :wav:
That's the best thing for Hood Canal, but is it happening? Are the winds hitting Hood Canal hard enough, or is it just going to get a lot of runoff, like around here?
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Look at the bright side you could be here 20 inches of snow and a high of 29 degrees. Forecast for the next week is next week is more of the same. 40mph winds in exposed locations.

Somehow, I managed to get a piece of your's then come home and get this as well.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Dmitchell wrote:Look at the bright side you could be here 20 inches of snow and a high of 29 degrees. Forecast for the next week is next week is more of the same. 40mph winds in exposed locations.

Somehow, I managed to get a piece of your's then come home and get this as well.

Dave
I just might be working up there next year.. And hopefully I might get to dive there? Things didn't work out with me this year to get up there with Bassman. I was seriously bummed about that. If my employer would just understand the diving addiction!! We would be much better off.. \:D/
Who run barter town?
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

The lights came back on a couple hours ago for us. \:D/

Unfortunetly the road that connects my neighborhood to the main drag does have quite a but of water over it. Whaddya think, should I take the snorkle?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

laivindil wrote:The lights came back on a couple hours ago for us. \:D/

Unfortunetly the road that connects my neighborhood to the main drag does have quite a but of water over it. Whaddya think, should I take the snorkle?
Dont forget the dysuit!! \:D/ I sure hope that this weather is system is over soon. :salute:
Who run barter town?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

It's weather like this that makes me glad I live at the top of a hill. Hope everybody makes it through without too much flooding.

Jake
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yeah, we got our ass kicked last night too - there's nothing like breaking out the chain saw to clear your driveway while hoping another huge tree doesn't come crashing down on you.

We enjoyed a candlelight evening and a nice fire... power came back on around 11pm.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Underwater Video from Hood Canal

Post by diver-dad »

Came across this:

NEWS RELEASE

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

November 9, 2006

Underwater video of Hood Canal fish conditions available

OLYMPIA – Rare, underwater video showing conditions in Puget Sound’s Hood Canal during a recent low-oxygen event is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s (WDFW) website.

The streaming video can be viewed at http://wdfw.wa.gov/hab/hood_canal_oxygen.htm.

( or try http://wdfw.wa.gov/hab/video/hoodcanal_bb.wmv )

The video includes underwater footage showing effects on marine life, such as lingcod, rockfish and an octopus, near Sund Rocks on the west side of Hood Canal. Wayne Palsson, a WDFW research scientist, filmed the underwater video during a Sept. 19 low dissolved-oxygen event in the canal.

Over the past several years, low dissolved-oxygen events in Puget Sound’s Hood Canal have caused significant die-offs of marine life, including multiple species of fish, shellfish and invertebrates. While low dissolved-oxygen levels are not new, these events have become more frequent and longer lasting in recent years.

Hood Canal is an underwater fjord where normal oxygen exchange in the water takes place slowly because of the canal’s depth and shape. Nitrogen entering the water from human sources stimulates algae blooms in the canal. As the algae decomposes, oxygen is absorbed from the water. Under certain weather and wind conditions, the level of life-sustaining dissolved oxygen in the water drops so low that fish and other underwater species suffocate.

Parts of Hood Canal are prime habitat for slow-reproducing species, such as rockfish and lingcod. These fish are most susceptible to low dissolved-oxygen events because they are long-lived species and the populations are slow to recover.

Broadcast-quality B-roll of underwater footage also will be available to the news media after Nov. 13. To obtain a DVD, contact Chuck Bolland at (360) 902-2255.
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

wind took my back portch roof off last night and our power was out all night

Guess ill be putting that new portch roof on this winter and not next sumer after all

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Enjoy the local weather folks!

I am off to Kal and Ann's for the weekend!!!!! I will have a report when I get back.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

have fun. i hope we get to go back there soon!!! can't wait to see pics ...
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets