Redondo 12/10

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Redondo 12/10

Post by pogiguy05 »

Ron and I met at Redondo at 3pm BRRRRRRR. Geared up and headed to the water, tide was out so putting fins on was at about the end of the pier.We dropped and headed out towards the carousel boat where there seemed to be like an army of shrimp everywhere.Then we headed to the bottle field. Not much other then crabs were stirring. Seen an Octo peaking out of a bottle but by the time I got to him for a pic he had hunkered into the back of the bottle.After some looking we headed back toward the north. I just happened to notice a small movement and what do you know an Octo about the size of my thumb was out and about.Did I mention I had my new camera so I was itching to try taking pics.We then headed towards the large pipe where the usual suspects hang around.Then headed farther north as Ron wanted to check for the elusive PLS<<<I hope I got that right. Ron did find one itty bitty one that seems to be so camouflaged it was hard to see him to get a picture. There seemed to be alot of crabs on the north side both big and small. Wish it was crab season cause I seen the BIGGEST DUNGY I have ever seen.Started to notice at about 50 minutes into the dive the cold started to make it appearance. Ron signaled 1000psi and we turned and headed back for the entry point.It was very nice 63 minute dive with a great looking sunset. Bathrooms at Redondo are closed due to frozen pipes.
Attachments
DSC00104.JPG
DSC00132.JPG
DSC00125.JPG
DSC00106.JPG
DSC00131.JPG
DSC00122.JPG
DSC00110.JPG
Last edited by pogiguy05 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Castor
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Redondo 12/10

Post by Dusty2 »

Nice, I think that little octo is a gpo not a red as I would have expected with one so small. Cool find I have never seen one so small.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I'll just add the few pics that I shot here...
Attachments
DSC00675-1.JPG
DSC00657.JPG
DSC00665.JPG
DSC00669.JPG
DSC00681.JPG
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Fantastic pictures. Thanks for posting. What NEW camera did you get?
Looks like a great Sunset as well.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Dusty2 wrote:Nice, I think that little octo is a gpo not a red as I would have expected with one so small. Cool find I have never seen one so small.
It's a Red. If you look at Jeff's first pic you can see the "eyelashes" beneath the eye.

Great shots, guys!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Ron ... dude! Where's you find the Cockerell's? I haven't seen one of those at Redondo all year ... and I've been looking!

Right now that'd excite me more than a lumpie ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Grateful Diver wrote:Ron ... dude! Where's you find the Cockerell's? I haven't seen one of those at Redondo all year ... and I've been looking!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
It was on the inside hull of the boat just nw of the pipe. It was about the size of my pinky nail.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Grateful Diver wrote:Ron ... dude! Where's you find the Cockerell's? I haven't seen one of those at Redondo all year ... and I've been looking!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
They tend to be rock dwellers and mainly hang out on vertical surfaces of large rocks. Especially if they are covered with orange social assidians. I have been pretty disappointed with Redondo this year nudie-wise. Seems they just didn't show up this year like they have in the past.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

John Rawlings wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:Nice, I think that little octo is a gpo not a red as I would have expected with one so small. Cool find I have never seen one so small.
It's a Red. If you look at Jeff's first pic you can see the "eyelashes" beneath the eye.

Great shots, guys!

- John
Yep, Agreed, At the time I wrote that that first pic wasn't there and I went by the paddle shaped extensions on the back. As soon as the second group of pix was posted I knew I was wrong. Good call John.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Scubak wrote:Fantastic pictures. Thanks for posting. What NEW camera did you get?
Looks like a great Sunset as well.
Kirsten
I was impressed by Ron's camera and its auto macro function that I bought the same one. Sony DSC WX1 Cost $350 and the housing is $229. The great thing about the housing is that is comes with inserts that would fit other cameras.
Jeff Castor
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Dusty2 wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
They tend to be rock dwellers and mainly hang out on vertical surfaces of large rocks. Especially if they are covered with orange social assidians. I have been pretty disappointed with Redondo this year nudie-wise. Seems they just didn't show up this year like they have in the past.
I've noticed that too ... in fact, with a very few exceptions, I saw fewer nudis than normal on most dives ... both in terms of quantity and diversity.

Wonder why ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

MrsDiverBob
Avid Diver

Post by MrsDiverBob »

Wow, great pictures! I really miss diving with the Thursday night group!!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

MrsDiverBob wrote:Wow, great pictures! I really miss diving with the Thursday night group!!
And we miss you guys!
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
MrsDiverBob
Avid Diver

Post by MrsDiverBob »

cardiver wrote:
MrsDiverBob wrote:Wow, great pictures! I really miss diving with the Thursday night group!!
And we miss you guys!
Awwwww, thanks!!!! :grouphug:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Hey Julie ... why don't you and Bob come dive with me sometime? I'll take you to see the lumpsuckers!

Bring Renee ... I miss her too ...

... Bob

MrsDiverBob
Avid Diver

Post by MrsDiverBob »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Hey Julie ... why don't you and Bob come dive with me sometime? I'll take you to see the lumpsuckers!

... Bob
We'd love to dive with you!!!! As for Renee, well, I don't expect to see her in the water until, oh...... July!!!! And if anyone can find the lumpies, it's you!! We finally saw our first one at TTN and were very excited-can't wait to find more!! :clap:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

MrsDiverBob wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:

... Bob
We'd love to dive with you!!!! As for Renee, well, I don't expect to see her in the water until, oh...... July!!!! And if anyone can find the lumpies, it's you!! We finally saw our first one at TTN and were very excited-can't wait to find more!! :clap:
July???? Is she, um......With child?
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
MrsDiverBob
Avid Diver

Post by MrsDiverBob »

cardiver wrote:
MrsDiverBob wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:

... Bob
She's just a wuss and doesn't like to dive until it gets warmer! (I can't say I blame her any!)
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

cardiver wrote:
MrsDiverBob wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:

... Bob
LOL ... with cold is more like it.

Renee's a trouper, but she ain't got a lot of bioprene to keep her warm ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)