WTB Fins

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

WTB Fins

Post by smike »

I'm looking for some turtles or similar:

1.) must have or be easily upgraded to spring straps.
2.) footpocket fits Drysuit boots with size #11 mens (probably a XL)
3.) Must be a little negative - I have a hard time getting my current ones on, they float and it is hard to get my foot in while it is trying to float up.

Do you have such fins? Know where I can get such fins?

Mike :boucegreen:
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: WTB Fins

Post by cardiver »

smike wrote:I'm looking for some turtles or similar:

1.) must have or be easily upgraded to spring straps.
2.) footpocket fits Drysuit boots with size #11 mens (probably a XL)
3.) Must be a little negative - I have a hard time getting my current ones on, they float and it is hard to get my foot in while it is trying to float up.

Do you have such fins? Know where I can get such fins?

Mike :boucegreen:
Hollis F1's.
Attachments
hollis.jpg
hollis.jpg (1.1 KiB) Viewed 912 times
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

+1 for Hollis F-1's.

They meet everyone of your criteria, but IMO don't feel like plywood boards dipped in concrete. \:D/

Try a pair, you'll be hooked!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

For a Size 11 in Turtles, I would probably take a look at the XXL. I'm a 13, and rock the 3XL fins.

A couple of things to note about the Turtles are:
1) They are heavy. This is a bonus for a lot of reasons, however if you drop one on a boat dive... done...
2) They are flexible. Maybe too flexible if you want the rigid finning that the OMS Slipstream (and maybe Hollis F1?) supports.

Good luck!
D(B)
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

+ 1 for turtles
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

I hear:

+ Hollis F1 XL ($129 on ebay, new)
+ Turtles XXL (checking prices)
- Jets

? OMS Slipstream

- Hollis F1 XL ($129 on ebay, new) - read Tang & Nailer review - looks good, I think these are the ones I tried at the dive shop back in the summer, and I liked them, except for the price, when I was a bit poorer

- If I get heavier fins, then I might be able to move some belt weight up to my backplate, right?(that would be "a good thing")
I am 6' tall (long in the legs), and would imagine that the leverage of the fins added weight would account for a fair amount of weight shift at the torso.

Thanks for "weighing" in...

Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Just finished another week diving with my Hollis F1s and a wetsuit. I use Turtles for my drysuit and the Hollis' with a wetsuit. For me both are superior in comfort and functionality to any other fins I've used. With a BP both trim out almost perfectly. With my TransPac and thicker wetsuits I need to use trim weights to keep from being too foot heavy.

BTW: I've tried OMS because they are light for travel. Too light and just not comfortable. Jets are sized either too big or too small for my feet. I have a couple old pairs of Blades I like. But, I like the Turtles and F1s better.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

:snorkel: . . . . :bye: . . . . :idea: . . = . . :questionmarks:
Wetsuit + Alaska + December = B b b b rrrrr...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

smike wrote:- If I get heavier fins, then I might be able to move some belt weight up to my backplate, right?(that would be "a good thing")
Hmm.... not sure about this, but I don't remember ever hearing of anyone shifting weight on their kit because of the weight of fins... possibly, but I don't think it's very common.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

+ 1 for sling shots... Dang there fast
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Smike- I'm thinking about selling my Turtles, because I'm so happy w/ my F-1s. In any case, you're more than welcome to take them out for a dive and see if you like 'em. If you do, you can make me an offer on them. I think they'll fit your feet.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
vlad
Aquaphile

Post by vlad »

Apollo Bio-fins? :tomatoe:

Seriously, I like them. I tried a few others (Dacor Turboflex II, Deep Sea Pulse) and now they are collecting dust in the closet.

I'm curious about Hollis F1's, would like to try them.

--Vlad
Last edited by vlad on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

Take a look at the OMS Slipstreams. These are the ones I use. I have a size 11 boot and use size XXL fins. The Slipstream fins are a little stiffer then the Hollis fins. You can test dive mine if you want.

http://www.omsdive.com/fin.html#SLIP