Deep CCR dives - split from "I rebreathed"

General topics about technical diving.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Re: I rebreathed

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Tangfish wrote:
LCF wrote:What do you do for bailout on a 600 foot OW dive? It's got to get awfully unwieldy . . . of course, if you were doing equipment testing, you probably had staged support. Bailout is another thing I have trouble getting around. For recreational level dives, it's pretty minimal and not bothersome, but for the kind of dives I'd think a rebreather would be the most USEFUL for, bailout gets really obtrusive.
The bailout is the dirty secret of rebreather diving that they don't tell you about until you're already committed. :arsespank:
So when is someone gonna build a Unit that contains two (or three or whatever) completely redundant CCRs? Seems like a logical next step for those ultra deeps dives.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:So when is someone gonna build a Unit that contains two (or three or whatever) completely redundant CCRs? Seems like a logical next step for those ultra deeps dives.
Nahh... All you need is a second loop (7' of course) and some rock-bottom rules. :laugh:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
Tangfish wrote:
LCF wrote:What do you do for bailout on a 600 foot OW dive? It's got to get awfully unwieldy . . . of course, if you were doing equipment testing, you probably had staged support. Bailout is another thing I have trouble getting around. For recreational level dives, it's pretty minimal and not bothersome, but for the kind of dives I'd think a rebreather would be the most USEFUL for, bailout gets really obtrusive.
The bailout is the dirty secret of rebreather diving that they don't tell you about until you're already committed. :arsespank:
So when is someone gonna build a Unit that contains two (or three or whatever) completely redundant CCRs? Seems like a logical next step for those ultra deeps dives.

http://www.customrebreathers.com/NewPro ... aspers.jpg

There are some better options these days than the "gong show with fins" pictured in the link above out there, but this ain't a new idea. And it comes with some downsides of it's own.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

the tiny ISC predator was also thought up as a "bailout" rebreather, 90 min scrubber time should be enough to get you back to support or at least your staged bottles if you are in a cave.

Joshua Smith wrote:
Mattleycrue76 wrote:
Tangfish wrote:

http://www.customrebreathers.com/NewPro ... aspers.jpg

There are some better options these days than the "gong show with fins" pictured in the link above out there, but this ain't a new idea. And it comes with some downsides of it's own.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

ljjames wrote:the tiny ISC predator was also thought up as a "bailout" rebreather, 90 min scrubber time should be enough to get you back to support or at least your staged bottles if you are in a cave.
Laura I have not had a chance to look at it yet and Leon's web page just blows from a sales and advertising point. Can it be wore on the chest or slung?
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

loanwolf wrote:
ljjames wrote:the tiny ISC predator was also thought up as a "bailout" rebreather, 90 min scrubber time should be enough to get you back to support or at least your staged bottles if you are in a cave.
Laura I have not had a chance to look at it yet and Leon's web page just blows from a sales and advertising point. Can it be wore on the chest or slung?

I think you could put one in your drysuit pocket, in a pinch.

Cute lil' nipper.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

loanwolf wrote:
His wife and i keep nagging him about the web page sucking ;) NAG NAG NAG!

with regards to slung or chest or or or... absolutely. It almost fits in my thigh pocket :)

i have some shots of it that i'll email... you can't actually see it cause it's so small that it gets lost in the tactical vest he was wearing it in that day :)

ah, josh posted the back mount picts link :)
----
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

ljjames wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
His wife and i keep nagging him about the web page sucking ;) NAG NAG NAG!

with regards to slung or chest or or or... absolutely. It almost fits in my thigh pocket :)

i have some shots of it that i'll email... you can't actually see it cause it's so small that it gets lost in the tactical vest he was wearing it in that day :)

ah, josh posted the back mount picts link :)
Thanks Laura :bounce:
Greg
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Deep CCR dives - split from "I rebreathed"

Post by LCF »

Oh, man, I just went and looked at that thing, and I think I have rebreather lust (or at least interest) for the first time ever! Going into the water with that little thing and a slung 40 . . . now that would be sweet, except for all the extra weight I'd have to wear :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I'm gonna guess it's not as 'light' as you expect it to be underwater... very compact little thing but still has 'weight' 27lbs, I'll find out it's buoyancy characteristics in the next week or so.

Greg and Lynne, and anyone else interested, I can pester pester a bit and see if i can get a demo-n-fondle day together. I'd need actual commitments if its gonna be more than one or two of us so i can organize a bit. If it's just one or two of us I'll ask Leon if you can just come out the day he's running me through it and then shooting video of it.

It would be with the Pathfinder and Predator and the new BOV.
LCF wrote:Oh, man, I just went and looked at that thing, and I think I have rebreather lust (or at least interest) for the first time ever! Going into the water with that little thing and a slung 40 . . . now that would be sweet, except for all the extra weight I'd have to wear :)
----
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

ljjames wrote:I'm gonna guess it's not as 'light' as you expect it to be underwater... very compact little thing but still has 'weight' 27lbs, I'll find out it's buoyancy characteristics in the next week or so.

Greg and Lynne, and anyone else interested, I can pester pester a bit and see if i can get a demo-n-fondle day together. I'd need actual commitments if its gonna be more than one or two of us so i can organize a bit. If it's just one or two of us I'll ask Leon if you can just come out the day he's running me through it and then shooting video of it.

It would be with the Pathfinder and Predator and the new BOV.
LCF wrote:Oh, man, I just went and looked at that thing, and I think I have rebreather lust (or at least interest) for the first time ever! Going into the water with that little thing and a slung 40 . . . now that would be sweet, except for all the extra weight I'd have to wear :)
I am intrested let me know.
Greg
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Ooh, ooh, Laura, PLEASE!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Laura, I'd be interested also!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

OK, i'm on it! :) I'll start a new thread when i hear back from Leon (he's OOT right now) with regards to a date/time.
----
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'm in, too- they look like nifty lil' units.

ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Joshua Smith wrote:I'm in, too- they look like nifty lil' units.
Cool!

Josh, where would you like me to post about this? I emailed Jerry and Leon and will post more, but think it would be cool if we had it in a public/recreational accessible forum as opposed to the opt in stuff...
----
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ljjames wrote:
Cool!

Josh, where would you like me to post about this? I emailed Jerry and Leon and will post more, but think it would be cool if we had it in a public/recreational accessible forum as opposed to the opt in stuff...

Is it free? If so, go ahead and post it wherever. If there's a fee, let me know in advance, and we'll post it as an ad.

4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

I'm interested too!
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

4ster wrote:I'm interested too!
Was wondering when you were going to chime in
Greg
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

If its up to me it will be free. Depending on what we do and where we have it there may be an incurred cost for the pool, so I might ask for donations to the cause if there is no fee so I don't get stuck with the pool cost (its kinda rude of me to invite them up and then say "oh ya, here's the bill for the pool" ;)
Joshua Smith wrote:
ljjames wrote:
Cool!

Is it free? If so, go ahead and post it wherever. If there's a fee, let me know in advance, and we'll post it as an ad.
----
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I keep trying to slap my own hand away from the keyboard as I type this but yeah I'm interested. :banghead: :blackblink:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ljjames wrote:If its up to me it will be free. Depending on what we do and where we have it there may be an incurred cost for the pool, so I might ask for donations to the cause if there is no fee so I don't get stuck with the pool cost (its kinda rude of me to invite them up and then say "oh ya, here's the bill for the pool" ;)
what exactly is "it"? are you running a CCR demo day??
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

How could anyone NOT want one of those!

http://vimeo.com/7524404
(OK, Matt, I'm having a dumb moment. Why won't my vimeo tags work?)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

All I said was...

Sometime in early January I'm hopefully doing some video and test dives of the new ISC units. Last night I emailed Leon (and Jerry) about letting a few peeps come fondle the babies at the same time (as long as he is in town for a few days, we might as well take advantage of it).

I am not 'running' anything, I am not a CCR instructor. I'm possibly helping organize an opportunity. Consider me a facilitator ;)

Here is how i picture things playing out.

People who want to learn about the new unit, handle it, ask questions, etc... will likely be a 'free' session... after that is done, the lookie-loos go home, and the people who have real interest in diving the units will have already signed up for a low cost in water demo session (there are consumables and his in water time to consider).

Are you interested, Richard?

CaptnJack wrote:
ljjames wrote:If its up to me it will be free. Depending on what we do and where we have it there may be an incurred cost for the pool, so I might ask for donations to the cause if there is no fee so I don't get stuck with the pool cost (its kinda rude of me to invite them up and then say "oh ya, here's the bill for the pool" ;)
what exactly is "it"? are you running a CCR demo day??
----
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Gotcha. No I don't really have a need for a $5K recreational CCR. It is cute though and I like that its available in any color you want. :joshsmith: If you know someone doing a demo day with RB80 clones like the Czech "trespresidentes" that might be fun. Although by the time I need such a thing I have long since thumbed the dive and gone for pizza & beer.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.