BC vs Drysuit??

General banter about diving and why we love it.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

BC vs Drysuit??

Post by DiverDown »

I have always used my drysuit for my bouyancy. For me it works pretty good. Lately I have been using argon, so the drysuit thing doesent work so well unless I want to use a 13cf or bigger.

My request is, I would like to dive and get a few pointers on the right way to use my BC. W/my dry suit, I have tried it before and it wasnt that comfortable for me. Obviously I would have to work on my trim. I am not looking to take any course, just some helpfull advise.. :salute:
Who run barter town?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Well- I don't know how to explain it, I just use my BC is all there is to it. This is funny to me, because you're the guy who showed me how to use my drysuit, this last summer- and you explained to me that you used it for buoyancy, which I had also read in the PADI AOW book- that first dive was the one and only time I tried it that way. I didn't like it at all, and went back to using my BC just like I had for all my wetsuit dives.

All I can say is that: I only add air to take the squeeze off. Not too much air at all- just so I don't feel squeezed- and then I use my BC for everything else. It's really not hard- people talk about "task loading", but it's not hard.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I use both, depending on how cold I am. If I'm not cold at all I use the suit to inflate just enough to get the squeeze off and the BC for buoyancy, but lately it's been colder and I've been using the BC less and inflating my suit quite a bit more for warmth. All else being equal, I like using the BC for buoyancy better, because the air doesn't *slosh* around and I have 4 dumps rather than one.

I wouldn't say that there's any trick to using the BC. It's the same as it was when you used to dive wet, though that was so many dives ago for you it might as well have been in the stone age.

Just like everything else, it takes a little practice to become second nature.
clackadiver
Just Settling In

Post by clackadiver »

Sorry I'm not close enough to be convenient but I recently did the same switch and have had to adjust my behavour to reflect those of Argon.
Talk about reprogramming.....but I'm glad I took the plunge.
Enjoy the warm! \:D/
jeff
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Yep, I'm just about to switch to argon as well!

This is surely a sign of recent, colder waters. :toimonster:

Man, diverdown is diving with gloves and argon, man, it must be chilly up at Muk.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

It was a headache for me personally to use my drysuit for buoyancy...

Adjusting your trim is a BIG deal with using your BC... buoyancy and other things included.

I feel silly giving you my thoughts (as Nailer noted!), ...I dive a Zeagle Tech, and when I "discovered" ](*,) the back trim pockets it made all the difference in the world being able to shuffle weight around! Nothing "felt right" before that, at depth or on the surface. (I HATED that "pushed forward" feeling that the back wing BC's give you without trim weights in the back.) And though I usually use the inflator hose to dump it's nice to have more places to dump from should the need arise.

Once I offset suit squeeze, then I'm using my BC exclusively. I don't even worry about my dry suit until I'm in the 25 to 30 ft. range and then I try and be intentional about letting some air out of the suit to make sure I don't cork and it's all good!
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

You know, I have heard from my friend who tried argon, that it just wasn't worth the hassle/money.
Argon doesn't have that much better insulation properties that air. (MY understanding of) the reason argon was origionally used was for Heliox divers because helium has less insulation properties than air (making the divers colder when they added helium to their suits), they needed something warmer and switched to a seperate source for their drysuits thus argon.. I am interested to hear others opinions about argon though!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Six Gill
Just Settling In

Post by Six Gill »

Since argon is a heavier gas, the theory is that it will help with insulation better than air or other mixes.(that is in easy terminology) I have found that there are people that swear by it and people who don't believe it makes a difference. I would suggest you try it before deciding if it works for you. If you know someone who would allow you to try their bottle, great; if not, check with your local LDS and they may be able to rent you one. Remember that you will need a dedicated bottle and first stage for it and strongly suggest you get the OPV for extra safety.

Check out the DUI website for info on how to properly determine how much insulation you should use in the water temp you mostly dive in. They have a great little quiz and it will vary from person to person. I dive a High Tide foam suit and stay incredibly warm. I still have my DUI and wear a 400 thinsulate undergarment to stay warm with a vest at times. In addition, I wear dry gloves most of the time.

Good luck in your quest to stay warm and how to do so in easy fashion!
Sonya
Six Gill
Just Settling In

Post by Six Gill »

OH, I got carried away on the whole argon theory and forgot the buoyancy issue. (bird-walking)

With a shell suit, my tendency is to use both that and my BC for buoyancy as it takes a bit more air in the suit to prevent suit squeeze. (or giving yourself a body hickey) With my foam suit, I need enough air in it to help keep the loft in my undergarment and the squeeze off but my buoyancy comes from utilizing my BC. You will have to play with it and work out your comfort level. I found that using the BC for buoyancy in the long run to work out best. Just remember to off gas both on ascent.

Hope this helps...........
Sonya
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Regarding argon....there's another thread regarding argon, I believe in the gear section.

I don't feel noticeably warmer on argon, but I do feel warm longer. I can easily do a 70 minute dive without getting chilled. When using air, I start getting a little chilled at about 40 - 45 minutes or.

I did a dive in Lake Washington this weekend, and bottom temp registered 41 degrees. We were in the water a total of 54 minutes, and I wasn't chilled at all. At that temp, I would've started to get cold at probably 30 minutes or so had I been using air.

Oh...and I only use my wing for buoyancy.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding