New member, starting here

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Dogboy
Aquaphile

New member, starting here

Post by Dogboy »

Hello NWDC! I just recently found this site and joined after "lurking" on others for quite some time. I really like the friendly tone on this board compared to some others. Here is a short history of my diving family:
I was originally certified in 1979 in High School while attending a Marine Technology/Oceanography course my senior year. If anyone ever dives Seahurst Beach in Burien, it is the building at the very north end of the park. What a way to spend half your school day, SCUBA diving during class (until the district said insurance regs prohibited it during school hours, so we would dive early mornings before class started), maintaining saltwater viewing aquariums, working in the salmon hatchery on site, and a whole lot of other fun activities. Not like going to school at all! My then girlfriend, now wife of 25 years, originally certified in 1980 to see me on the weekends, as I was gone diving every chance I got.
We were very active divers until the mid 80's, when work, family, etc. interfered. I continued to dive occassionally until the early 90's, when we moved out to the country, selling our boat and generally changing from water activities to farm hobbies (horses, raising livestock). I just figured my diving days were over.
Fast forward to 2004. Our then 18 year old son states that he is getting certified, taking classes from a guy he works with, who is also a SCUBA instructor. My wife and I go watch his checkout dives at Redondo, and Dad is re-bit by the SCUBA bug, and once again has a built in dive buddy! So after a large $$ contribution to a local dive shop, I was outfitted with all new gear and have now been back diving regularly for the past two years. Now if we could just get Mom back into the diver fold?
Well, last weekend, Mom finished her Open Water class! Even though she was already certified (1980), she felt she would be much more comfortable with taking the entire course over. She is very excited about returning to diving, as is my friend who owns a dive shop, her DUI Flex 50/50 is now on order through him. Now we just need to get our 24 year old son into diving. This one is currently stationed in Mt. Home, Idaho, just about to get out of the Air Force after six years in. The thing we can't believe is that he did a 6 month stint in Guam and didn't take SCUBA classes!
Well, thats my story. Hope to meet other board members (already know a few) and go diving with you all.
See ya at the beach, Chuck Waggener
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Welcome Chuck,

What a great story too. Hope to see you in the water soon. I am at Redondo often so maybe we'll bump into each other again!

Cheers,

Holly
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Welcome to the group!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great story and Welcome!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Hi Chuck, what a terrific adventure your family has gotten into together. My brother is OW certified but doesn't dive too often. You've got some dive buddies for sure :supz:, but also an expensive spending habit! #-o

Welcome to NWDC, and as Holly said, we hope to catch you at Redondo one of these days. We'll look for the dive clan.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Welcome to the group that counts dive shop investments in "scuba units!" 1 Scuba unit = $100 -- we find it aids the psychologic effect of buying gear nicely. :pale:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Chuck!!!

Glad you found us! Hope to see you in the water soon!
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Welcome to the club.. :supz:
Who run barter town?
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Welcome to our Fruit and Nut bowl. Great story. Hope to see you diving.

Charles
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Look forward to diving with you sometime. Welcome to the group!
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Thanks for joining us and sharing a nice story, too. I look forward to meeting you.

Sea ya!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

Chuck - Glad to have you!

Welcome!
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
Dogboy
Aquaphile

Post by Dogboy »

Thanks for the welcomes, a few I know personally, quite a few I recognize from my time "lurking" on other boards. This seems like a fun club. Can't wait to meet more of you.
See ya at the beach, Chuck
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'm glad we are friendly enough to drag you out of lurkdom, now let's go diving! :supz:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome Chuck !

Hope to meet and dive with you some day. Great story! :supz:
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

welcome chuck. and hope to swim with fish with you soon. later!

good day!
jeff :supz:
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!