"He died doing something he desperately loved"

General banter about diving and why we love it.
ktb
I've Got Gills

"He died doing something he desperately loved"

Post by ktb »

I ask that your good thoughts and prayers be with the loved ones of Bob Moreland (spearcatcher), the diver who passed away yesterday at Redondo. I have been in contact with the family, and they would like everyone on the board to know that Bob died doing something he desperately loved. Apparently Bob had a congenital heart condition, so it is very likely that his death can be attributed to that and not the actual act of diving.

For those who may not recognize his real or screen name, you may remember a good-natured gentlemen with salt-and-pepper hair, mustache and beard who drove an older blue and white van with Alaska plates.

His son-in-law has been using his spearcatcher account to check the boards, so he will see any posts made to this thread.

Thank you.
Kelly
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: "He died doing something he desperately loved"

Post by Tom Nic »

RIP spearcatcher...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Condolences to the family.

D(B)
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends at this difficult time.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Sounds like spearcatcher lived his life on his terms and to the fullest. What a comfort to the family and all who knew him.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

My condolences to the family. It is comforting to know that he had a good dive with friends before hand and went quickly. Hopefully there are some good dive spots waiting for us all when we get there and good friends to show us around.
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

i am sorry to hear about his death, but glad to know he lived.
love to all who knew him.
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

RIP, Bob Moreland.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I firmly believe in the notion that it is not how long we live that matters, but how well we live.

Farewell Bob ... may your family find peace and comfort in the coming days ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

"He died doing something he desperately loved....."

Many of us here can relate to that. I love diving so much that I often wonder what I would do if I was forced to leave it behind....If my last moments were spent on a wonderful dive, enjoying the beautiful sights and wonders of the undersea realm, I believe that I would consider it a grand way to go to my maker. My family already knows that my ashes are to be strewn at my favorite dive site....a site where I have spent hundreds of magical hours.

While I never had the pleasure of meeting Bob, the quote above tells me that he was a kindred soul. I suspect that if he ever thought about what would be the best ways to spend his final moments, diving may very well have been high amongst them.

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends....may the joy of his memory give you some peace in this sad time.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Beautiful post, John.

One of the things you learn from being in the medical field is that there really are worse things than dying. Doing a nice dive somewhere with good friends, and then dropping dead getting out, actually would be high on my list of ways to go. It probably doesn't help the family and friends who have a huge hole in their lives now, but it was a good death.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

LCF wrote:Beautiful post, John.

One of the things you learn from being in the medical field is that there really are worse things than dying. Doing a nice dive somewhere with good friends, and then dropping dead getting out, actually would be high on my list of ways to go. It probably doesn't help the family and friends who have a huge hole in their lives now, but it was a good death.

Very good posts, John and Lynne. I couldn't agree more.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Joshua Smith wrote:
LCF wrote:Beautiful post, John.

Very good posts, John and Lynne. I couldn't agree more.
+1

Our thoughts are with Bob and his family. We're sorry for your loss.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Wishing the family well in these difficult times, celebrate his life!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

John Rawlings wrote:"He died doing something he desperately loved....."

Many of us here can relate to that. I love diving so much that I often wonder what I would do if I was forced to leave it behind....If my last moments were spent on a wonderful dive, enjoying the beautiful sights and wonders of the undersea realm, I believe that I would consider it a grand way to go to my maker. My family already knows that my ashes are to be strewn at my favorite dive site....a site where I have spent hundreds of magical hours.

While I never had the pleasure of meeting Bob, the quote above tells me that he was a kindred soul. I suspect that if he ever thought about what would be the best ways to spend his final moments, diving may very well have been high amongst them.

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends....may the joy of his memory give you some peace in this sad time.

- John
Well done. I always figured I'd die with water in my lungs and a smile on my face.

D(B)
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

I'm sorry for your loss. Take solace in knowing he was doing something he loved
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I'm sorry I nevver got to meet Spearcatcher. May you rest in peace wherever you are. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

Good bye Bob.Thank you for sharing a small piece of your time on earth with me. I will never forget you. God bless
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Very sad. RIP.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

As Bob is, so shall I be. My prayer is that I am fortunate enough to pass in like manor. I wish for his family and friends to know the same peace that Bob revelled in just prior to his passing and hope that it brings some comfort to his dive buddies that day to have been able to share that with him. He watches us today. Good on ya Bob!
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
jOetheDIVR2
Just Settling In

Post by jOetheDIVR2 »

Please give my Condolences to the family. He will be missed
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

its a sad day indeed when one of our own is lost. Scuba diving can be described as a family, when we go down its together and we look out for each other while down there in the deep blue. You have to be not only an adventurer but i believe you have to be a lover of nature to fully enjoy scuba diving, where it is sad to see him go, atleast he left this world doing what he enjoyed.

Rest In Peace Fellow Adventurer
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Thank you all for your posts. I'm sure this means a lot to the family.

And frankly, I know it's helping me--and probably Dive Monkey and NaR--with our coping as well. This is a wonderful community of divers, and I'm so grateful to have been "introduced" you all. (Thank you Defied. And no, there is no dying allowed in our Scuba Squad.)

Take care, and--as Defied's sig line says--keep your lungs dry.
Kelly