Wanted: STA

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
Beefcake
Aquaphile

Wanted: STA

Post by Beefcake »

Does anyone have a single tank adapter that they want to sell cheap? Or, does anyone in Portland-metro have one that I can borrow to test out a wing? I have an OMS doubles wing with bungees to keep it compressed that I am curious to try with a single tank (assuming it may "taco" badly, but I've read reviews of guys using these with singles that said they performed okay). Anyway, I don't really want to spend a fortune on an STA and cam bands if I can't use the wing. I can steal cam bands off of a couple of my old BCDs for now. If I don't find one here, I'll just buy the cheap Oxychec Mini STA from ST for this experiment; I just thought I'd throw the idea out there in case someone has one collecting dust. Thanks.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Wanted: STA

Post by spatman »

talk to jon over at seven seas scuba in vancouver. he might have one you can rent or borrow.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I have one that I am no longer using. I think I got it from XS Scuba. Let me know when you are ready.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
krisdahl
Just Settling In

Post by krisdahl »

I bought one from LeisurePro today. Best price I could find.

OMS Single Tank adapter, with two cam bands for $89--their normal price for it is $139. Some places sell just the adapter alone for more than $90. Probably more than you want to spend, but was the best deal I could find.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/OMSSCA.h ... %26Hit%3d1
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

krisdahl wrote:I bought one from LeisurePro today. Best price I could find.

OMS Single Tank adapter, with two cam bands for $89--their normal price for it is $139. Some places sell just the adapter alone for more than $90. Probably more than you want to spend, but was the best deal I could find.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/OMSSCA.h ... %26Hit%3d1

Check with hammerhead. Their SS STA's are HEAVY, so be warned you may want to go with an aluminum one. The cheapest thing is to go airsix style, and just cut a piece of 2" aluminum from Home Depot into 2 - 6" pieces. Drill a hole in the center, bend to fit and bolt it to the plate. Run the cam straps through the plate and you're done.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

I have the same set-up that I use all the time without a STA. I just use double cam bands and it works fine. You really dont need a STA, just make sure you thread the cam bands through the outside slots in the backplate instead of the inside ones to help reduce any slop.
Beefcake
Aquaphile

Post by Beefcake »

Thanks everyone. Pinkpadigal hooked me up.
krisdahl
Just Settling In

Post by krisdahl »

Jaksonbrown wrote:I have the same set-up that I use all the time without a STA. I just use double cam bands and it works fine. You really dont need a STA, just make sure you thread the cam bands through the outside slots in the backplate instead of the inside ones to help reduce any slop.
I was wondering if you could do that. Seems like you could, but was worried that it may not be secure enough and that it would pinch the wing.
Nwbrewer wrote: Check with hammerhead. Their SS STA's are HEAVY, so be warned you may want to go with an aluminum one. The cheapest thing is to go airsix style, and just cut a piece of 2" aluminum from Home Depot into 2 - 6" pieces. Drill a hole in the center, bend to fit and bolt it to the plate. Run the cam straps through the plate and you're done.
I'm not afraid to fabricate stuff, especially something as simple as this. I just didn't want to spend the time. I will probably end up fabricating a stainless backplate and STA at some point. I fabricate race cars on the weekend, this should be a walk in the park.

I am glad to hear that the STA is heavy, was hoping to put a bit more weight on the back and less on the belt/pockets.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

krisdahl wrote:

I'm not afraid to fabricate stuff, especially something as simple as this. I just didn't want to spend the time. I will probably end up fabricating a stainless backplate and STA at some point. I fabricate race cars on the weekend, this should be a walk in the park.
You could, but honestly, look at the cost of the hammerhead plates. For what they charge, it's probably not worth the effort.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Nwbrewer wrote:
krisdahl wrote:

You could, but honestly, look at the cost of the hammerhead plates. For what they charge, it's probably not worth the effort.
Yeah I think you can pick up a brand new HOG SS plate for around $75. I can't imagine you could come close DIYing it between time and material unless you just absolutely want to do it for some reason. The el cheapo STA idea on the other hand would take a drill, a vice, a hammer and about 10 minutes topps.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I've got a set of backplate dimentional drawings in pdf if anyone wants a copy (I got them from someone else). I added up the number of drilling and milling operations, not to mention the compound bends and decided that $99 for a finished plate is a bargain. If I had access to a cnc waterjet cutting machine and a brake big enough to handle 1/8" stainless I'd try it just for the exercise but I don't have access to that kind of machinery. The only guy I know who does.... sells backplates. :laugh:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey