Easing in to tech diving??

General topics about technical diving.
DockHawk
Getting To Know Folks

Easing in to tech diving??

Post by DockHawk »

I am still considered a new diver... but I have an interest in trying out entry level tech diving. First of all, what would be the list of equipment to start getting. I am on a budget and can't afford all the very cool and expesive stuff my buddies have. As a basic rule what is needed? :thankyouyellow:
"When things go bad... don't go with 'em"
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Re: Easing in to tech diving??

Post by dsteding »

DockHawk wrote: As a basic rule what is needed? :thankyouyellow:
Two of everything?
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

dsteding wrote:
DockHawk wrote: As a basic rule what is needed? :thankyouyellow:
Two of everything?
=D>
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

one time i walked into a store looking to buy a bike helmet with a small budget in mind. there was a wall of at least 50 different helmets, with prices ranging up to over $350. i stood there unable to make a choice and walked over to the surly bike repair dude and asked if there was really a difference in quality with the difference in price.

he looked at me and said, "if you have a $10 head, get a $10 helmet."

i walked out with a $300 helmet that day.

i apply the same principle to my life support equipment, especially as i transition into diving doubles.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Staged decompression or overhead diving isn't cheap, even if you work at finding things secondhand and at discounts. At a minimum, you would need a set of doubles ($500 and up), a set of doubles regulators (I bought mine well used and they cost me $700), a deco bottle and regulator (tanks around $150, reg is going to run you at least $150 with spg), an argon bottle and regulator (figure roughly $150 to set that up), and a canister light (a super deal will be in the $400 range, and they go up into the mid thousands). On top of that, you have to budget for training, which isn't inexpensive, either.

A very reasonable way to begin is to take a class like UTD Essentials, GUE Fundamentals or NAUI Intro to Tech in a single tank, and get a taste of the skills you'll need and the very different standard to which you will be held in technical diving classes. You can do that relatively inexpensively, although you will need a backplate setup for Fundies (you'll need one for doubles, anyway).
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

DockHawk wrote:I am still considered a new diver... but I have an interest in trying out entry level tech diving. First of all, what would be the list of equipment to start getting. I am on a budget and can't afford all the very cool and expesive stuff my buddies have. As a basic rule what is needed? :thankyouyellow:

Like the others said- it's really not a cheap hobby. And your question is much harder to answer than you might think. The best advice I can offer is to start to accumulate good quality gear that works for recreational diving- like a backplate, good quality regulators, a canister light, That kind of stuff. Then- start searching for an instructor/ and or training agency that matches your style. My friend Dive Club Captain has taken the time to write up a pretty comprehensive list of all the local Tech instructors here. A good instructor will help you learn what level your skills should be at, and what gear you might need in order to train with him or her.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

I think that is sound advice. As I think I'm also kinda-sorta heading that way too, it would have been good for me to purchase my rec gear with that philosophy. I do have good stuff and did get a wing system that can be converted to doubles which is good. Still, I'll be spending a lot of money to get what I need and when you consider it's keeping you alive, it's money well spent if you get good stuff.

I think there is a *LOT* to be said for doing a lot of rec dives to become a better diver overall before beginning to transition toward deco diving. And all that experience and skill will only help for the next phase when you go there. There is a lot-lot-lot to see without going into deco.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

There's way more than gear to consider before getting into tech diving. If you still consider yourself a new diver, then my first piece of advice is get out and dive a lot before even thinking about it. Get so comfortable with your skills that you can do them with about as much conscious effort as you put into breathing or walking. Make your fundamental skills second nature before you even embark down that path. Total comfort and confidence with your in-water abilities is probably the most important thing you need for tech diving. Gear choices are secondary to that.

I know some of y'all don't like ScubaBoard, but Rick Murcar wronte an excellent piece for anybody considering tech diving. You can find it here ...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic- ... -soon.html

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I think you're original question was answered pretty well, so I have one for you. Why do you want to start tech diving? It seems to me lately (and maybe I just talk to too many board members) that there are a LOT of people rushing to go tech. What are you missing from your recreational (130' and up NDL) dives?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Superb question, Jake! I always remember Joe Talavera: "Do all the diving you can do with the certification you have, and when you are thoroughly bored, THEN go get more training."
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

That's a real good question ... over the years I've seen a lot of people rush into tech diving and then a year or so later rush right back out of it again. It usually ends up costing them ten thousand $ or more just to find out it's not for them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

spatman wrote:one time i walked into a store looking to buy a bike helmet with a small budget in mind. there was a wall of at least 50 different helmets, with prices ranging up to over $350. i stood there unable to make a choice and walked over to the surly bike repair dude and asked if there was really a difference in quality with the difference in price.

he looked at me and said, "if you have a $10 head, get a $10 helmet."

i walked out with a $300 helmet that day.

i apply the same principle to my life support equipment, especially as i transition into diving doubles.
Um you shoulda got a 10.00 helmet Matt, <singing> He's got HIGH hopes, He's got High hopes
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

Nwbrewer wrote:I think you're original question was answered pretty well, so I have one for you. Why do you want to start tech diving? It seems to me lately (and maybe I just talk to too many board members) that there are a LOT of people rushing to go tech. What are you missing from your recreational (130' and up NDL) dives?
great question jake, maybe deserves its own thread.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Doc,

According to your profile you have about 28 dives right now. Contrary to some people I think it's great that you're thinking about tech diving this early on. Why? Because it will influence your gear and training choice paths from here on out. I know I certainly ended up rebuying quite a bit of stuff. Although you probably need quite a few more dives under your belt to start actual decompression diving tech classes there are a ton of things you can do in the meantime to prepare you for that. And here's the good news: if you decide later on that you do not want to pursue tech diving, the training you will have received and some of the gear you may have purchased (can light) will make your recreational diving that much more enjoyable.

The first thing I'd recommend is a backplate/wing system in combination with a longhose and a bungied necklace secondary. Moving to paddle fins like jets or turtles will provide more control in the water for things like backkicking and more thrust later on when in dubs and deco bottles. Just these gear changes should put you into a position to learn alot of the basic skills and techniques used in technical diving.

Do alot of reading and researching on the internet before buying gear. While individual opinions are often worthless unless you know the person giving the advice, you will find trends on what is working well for a large number of people.

Essentials or fundies would be a great next class. My choice would be essentials since the instruction is available locally. If and when the budget allows a cannister light will become your favorite piece of gear quickly. All of these things will both enhance the dives you're already doing as well as prepare you for possible future deeper endeavors. Doubles and second/third regulator sets can wait until you know for sure that you really want to do this. Check out the lineup of HOG gear for some inexpensive yet durable technically oriented gear and don't be afraid to check out the used market. As others hav mentioned there are constantly people getting out of tech diving so there is an abundance of quality gear available on CL, TDS, and this board as well. Research your purchases, buy your kit one piece at a time over time and you can do it on a budget. It still won't be cheap but much more doable.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Burntchef wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:I think you're original question was answered pretty well, so I have one for you. Why do you want to start tech diving? It seems to me lately (and maybe I just talk to too many board members) that there are a LOT of people rushing to go tech. What are you missing from your recreational (130' and up NDL) dives?
great question jake, maybe deserves its own thread.

DONE.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

My choice would be essentials since the instruction is available locally
Not in any way to diminish the recommendation for the Essentials class, but we now have a GUE instructor in Vancouver, WA, who is more than willing to come down and teach classes, and we have another GUE instructor who has scheduled regular Fundies classes in Seattle for this year.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

LCF wrote:
Not in any way to diminish the recommendation for the Essentials class, but we now have a GUE instructor in Vancouver, WA, who is more than willing to come down and teach classes, and we have another GUE instructor who has scheduled regular Fundies classes in Seattle for this year.
Cool!! When did Janna start teaching Fundies?! (kidding of course) Who is it?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Sounder wrote:
LCF wrote:
Cool!! When did Janna start teaching Fundies?! (kidding of course) Who is it?
Guy Shockey lives on Vancouver Island. He's a GUE Fundies instructor. Very nice guy.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I didn't know about the option of somewhat local fundies instruction, thanks! Fundimentals is a very highly regarded class as well. Hard to go wrong with either.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Yes, Guy has told me he's willing to come down for Fundies classes, and there is another Canadian, Ray LeFrense, who has actually set aside some dates for Fundies classes in Seattle for this year.

With these two, and Brian and Jeanna, and Scott, we have a wealth of good instructional opportunities for someone in the OP's situation!
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Grateful Diver wrote:There's way more than gear to consider before getting into tech diving. If you still consider yourself a new diver, then my first piece of advice is get out and dive a lot before even thinking about it. Get so comfortable with your skills that you can do them with about as much conscious effort as you put into breathing or walking. Make your fundamental skills second nature before you even embark down that path. Total comfort and confidence with your in-water abilities is probably the most important thing you need for tech diving. Gear choices are secondary to that.

I know some of y'all don't like ScubaBoard, but Rick Murcar wronte an excellent piece for anybody considering tech diving. You can find it here ...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic- ... -soon.html

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I completely agree with this. I am thinking of tech diving in the future but for now I am trying to just dive a lot and perfect my buoyancy and basic skills like OOA drills, deploying an SMB and open water ascents. I want have these skills down pat at 50ft before I run into a situation where I may have to perform them at 130ft+ in an actual emergency. I also have been collecting gear that is tech. oriented such as a BP/W and quality long hose reg. setup. Also, I would recommend finding a dive buddy with more experience who is doing the diving that you would like to do and is willing to help you out then glean as much info as you can off them. I am at 75 dives right now and am considering an essentials class at around 100 dives. For me this seems to be the right speed of progression.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

LCF wrote:Yes, Guy has told me he's willing to come down for Fundies classes, and there is another Canadian, Ray LeFrense, who has actually set aside some dates for Fundies classes in Seattle for this year.

With these two, and Brian and Jeanna, and Scott, we have a wealth of good instructional opportunities for someone in the OP's situation!

Not to metion the other instructors/ training agencies available. I saw nothing in the original post indicating a preference for team diving. Nothing against it- I'm just saying that there are other options.

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

There are plenty of options ... our local area is blessed with some great tech instructors. But I believe that Lynne wasn't thinking about choosing GUE as a tech option ... but instead suggesting a class that could help you identify and strengthen the skills you would need to get you started down pretty much any path you choose. Classes like Fundamentals and Essentials aren't really tech classes ... they are classes that are designed to help you develop the skills you will need to begin learning how to tech dive ... so that when you sign up for those classes you won't be struggling with things you didn't realize you needed to learn first. They basically shorten your learning curve and help you focus on the objectives of the tech classes you will later decide to take ... pretty much irrespective of what instructor or agency you take them from.

Still there are other options. I know that both Brian (BDub) and Scott (vbcoachchris) teach an Intro to Tech class that would be beneficial for anyone considering getting into tech.

That said, I had the opportunity to head up to Victoria a couple months back and dive with Guy ... and he told me the same thing about being willing to come down to Seattle and teach a class. Having spent a couple days with him, I would highly recommend him as an option for anyone who is interested in taking a GUE Fundamentals class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

topic moved to the General Tech Diving forum.