Reasons for Learning technical diving and Paths to the goal

General topics about technical diving.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Reasons for Learning technical diving and Paths to the goal

Post by Joshua Smith »

Inspired by Dockhawk,Howard and Jake in THIS THREAD.
Burntchef wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:I think you're original question was answered pretty well, so I have one for you. Why do you want to start tech diving? It seems to me lately (and maybe I just talk to too many board members) that there are a LOT of people rushing to go tech. What are you missing from your recreational (130' and up NDL) dives?
great question jake, maybe deserves its own thread.

I'll start.

I wanted to see deep shipwrecks. I read all about U-869 and the Andrea Doria In Shadow Divers and the Last Dive (Both should be required reading for anyone interested in Tech Diving, IMO) and I also read all about Dave Shaw's death in Bushamansgat, South Africa- Great article about that, HERE.

I was immediately attracted to the idea of going deeper and staying longer than the recreational norms. Images of sunken ships started to invade my dreams. And the idea that there was still part of this planet that might be-gasp- unexplored, had never occurred to me before this. All before I ever took Open Water. When I got certified, I started asking many, many questions at the shop I learned through, and I didn't get a lot of straight answers. As it turns out, that particular shop doesn't really cater to technical diving. But they don't go out of their way to tell customers that fact- especially customers with credit cards who are overcome with gear lust, and unburdened by knowledge and experience. I bought thousands of dollars worth of inappropriate gear for what I really wanted to do as a result.
As I kept diving, I started to meet people who really were technical divers, and they guided me towards shops and instructors that helped me immeasurably with good advice and perspectives.

With just over 120 dives in my logbook, and a set of gear that I had cobbled together, I signed up for Advanced Nitrox and Decompression procedures, a Technical Diving International course, taught by Mel Clark of Silent Scuba. It was a revelation to me. I learned how to actually plan a dive, down to the last detail- How to use oxygen and nitrox to accelerate decompression, how to shoot surface marker buoys from depth, valve drills, lost mask/ spare mask replacement....To this day, that class remains one of my very favorite classes I ever took. It was challenging, but it was really fun and rewarding at the same time!

I think I'll end my little ramble right here. Partly because, after this class, Mel seduced me into the shadowy witchcraft realm of closed circuit rebreathers, which is really a different topic. Let me close by saying that- I have been lucky enough to do many of the dives that were on my "bucket list" when I started diving. And many others that would have been on there if I had only known about them. I shudder to think about how much money I have sunk into gear, training, travel and boat fees over the last 3-4 years. But it was completely worth it, to me.

Technical diving is NOT for everyone. 120 minutes of decompression with a flooded drysuit in the middle of Elliot Bay can really suck. People can get badly hurt, or die, doing it. It can be a lot of work, for a so-so, or even a crappy, dive. I have no problem with divers who have no interest in the kind of diving I like to do- much of the time, I think recreational only divers are a lot smarter than I am.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
lamont
I've Got Gills

Re: Reasons for Learning technical diving and Paths to the goal

Post by lamont »

I've always been comfortable around and on water, even though my swimming skills kind of suck, and when I was a kid I always dreamed of making an underwater RC submarine. I recall watching a log of Cousteau when I was a little kid as well.

I got dragged to an OW course by a friend and it turned out that I liked scuba diving.

After I was done with that course, I felt like I really liked diving, but was highly appreciative of the dangers and I started to analyze all the different dangers and what you could do about it. Across the way I ran into the statement that "all diving is technical diving" and decided to pattern my recreational diving after the way technical divers dive, since that would obviously afford the highest safety margin. I still thought that cave divers were idiots and technical divers were playing russian roulette with getting bent.

After doing 50 or so dives, I thought I'd like to be able to do dives on recreational-range wrecks like the Diamond Knot with doubles for safety. Still not interested in Tech1, and cave divers were still crazy idiots.

After diving on the Cape Breton and Saskatchewan in a mixed set of divers with one tech team I started to see the idea of tech1 just as bottom time extenders. We dove both ships for 30 mins of bottom time, narced on EAN. The tech divers spent 60 mins on each wreck and had helium and were clear headed and got to penetrate the wreck. That sounded good.

After awhile, I decided to go for a cavern diving trip down to MX just to check it out and see if the cave environment was attractive to me, and/or if it would freak me out. Well, it didn't totally freak me out, and Grand Cenote and Dos Ojos sure were pretty. So, cave1 didn't seem too crazy.

Then I took cave1. I rationalized this mostly as wanting to be a better wreck diver. I couldn't see getting down to the caves all that often, and definitely thought that cave2 wasn't for me, since I didn't think I'd get back often enough to stay current on skills. Of course, I found myself perfectly comfortable in the cave environment and got to see all kinds of cool stuff.

Fast forwards through two trips back to MX at a cave1 level, and I'd basically seen most of the cave1-level cave that I'm aware of in MX. So, it was time for cave2 -- which opened up a whole new world.

Now, I still need to get through tech1/tech2, and probably need a cave DPV course at some point. But that is definitely *it*. Everything else: CCR, sidemount, cave exploration, really deep wrecks like the Sampson, etc are totally nuts. And I really mean it *this* time...
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

come to the daaaarrrrkkk siiiiideeee lamooont.... we have coooooookkkkiiiieeeessssss.......
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

lamont wrote: and cave divers were still crazy idiots....
My thoughts exactly!! Then I took a Cavern course and watched cave divers easily performing the tasks I was struggling with in perfect trim. The cavern zone really knocked my scuba socks right off (or should that be booties??) and I just HAD to see what was beyond the 'Grim Reaper' sign.

Now we head down to Mexico once or twice a year to get our Cave Fix in. :clap:
In the mean time, there are lots of new wrecks and dive sites to explore around the Pacific Northwest and the deeper sites tend to be much more pristene.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Oh, I just thought of this...

My current goals right now are to get T2/C2+Cave DPV and to do 100 cave dives in MX, 100 in FL, 100 in EU, and a few hundred mix dives. That should keep me occupied for awhile, and that is my current definition of a "grown up" technical diver (I'm still like a 16-year old with a drivers license -- still can't vote, drink or join the army).
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

ljjames wrote:come to the daaaarrrrkkk siiiiideeee lamooont.... we have coooooookkkkiiiieeeessssss.......
never!!!!!!!!

( you do realize that if you take me out more with you in the meg and help me learn the emergency procedures that you'll gradually suck me in, right? )
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

yes.... what are you doing this evening? fresh pack of scrubber begging me to be dove ;)
lamont wrote:
ljjames wrote:come to the daaaarrrrkkk siiiiideeee lamooont.... we have coooooookkkkiiiieeeessssss.......
never!!!!!!!!

( you do realize that if you take me out more with you in the meg and help me learn the emergency procedures that you'll gradually suck me in, right? )
----
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

When I was a fairly new diver (20 dives) I attended a Big Buddy dive and got paired with Bob Bailey, who took one look at this eager but hopelessly inept woman and decided to fix things. Bob worked with me for a while, and then sent me off to take GUE Fundamentals, which was a pivotal experience. You see, when you get involved with GUE, you see all the pictures of people diving in these spectacularly beautiful underground places . . . I got on the internet, looked around for stuff on cave diving, and found a video by Andrew Georgitsis of diving in NoHoch, and lost my heart.

I then planned a 2 year plan for getting into the caves, which included wreck training, Helitrox training, transitioning into doubles, doing cavern tours, taking a cavern class, and finally GUE Cave 1. I followed my plan. Then I dove the caves in Florida, and realized deco becomes a big issue there pretty fast. In addition, I had discovered there are some cool critters in the PNW that live in deep water (eg. cloud sponges). So I took UTD Tech 1 to get some education in staged decompression, and some coaching in bottle handling in preparation for my next cave class. Since then, my biggest problem has been finding things I want to see enough deep enough to need the skills I spent so much time learning :)
Last edited by LCF on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

I really want to see a big shipwreck someday. Preferably a real one. I haven't decided on the exact path yet.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ORDiver wrote:I really want to see a big shipwreck someday. Preferably a real one. I haven't decided on the exact path yet.

Have you ever seen Dan's (Romer Treece on this board) website?

http://www.dcsfilms.com/Site_4/DCS_Website.html

Click on "West Coast Relics"- and check out the cool stuff in Lake Washington, too. We have some great wreck dives right here in the sound.

Also, Scott Boyd has a wonderful site:

http://www.boydski.com/diving/wreck_dives.htm

Dan is an amazing videographer, and Scott takes incredible still photos. These 2 guys are the premiere documenters of PNW wrecks. I'm partial to Dan's site, though, because I'm in a couple of the videos. "see that fin that almost kicked the camera! THAT'S ME!" or- "See the diver hanging onto the line for dear life, with eyes like 2 gigantic, wet pools of terror? THAT'S ME!"

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Joshua Smith wrote:
ORDiver wrote:I really want to see a big shipwreck someday. Preferably a real one. I haven't decided on the exact path yet.

Have you ever seen Dan's (Romer Treece on this board) website?

http://www.dcsfilms.com/Site_4/DCS_Website.html

Click on "West Coast Relics"- and check out the cool stuff in Lake Washington, too. We have some great wreck dives right here in the sound.

Also, Scott Boyd has a wonderful site:

http://www.boydski.com/diving/wreck_dives.htm

Dan is an amazing videographer, and Scott takes incredible still photos. These 2 guys are the premiere documenters of PNW wrecks. I'm partial to Dan's site, though, because I'm in a couple of the videos. "see that fin that almost kicked the camera! THAT'S ME!" or- "See the diver hanging onto the line for dear life, with eyes like 2 gigantic, wet pools of terror? THAT'S ME!"
Yes, I love those websites. I've watched most of the video's on the DCS Films site and I use Scott Boyd's website for info on dive sites all the time. I also have his book. Which vids are you in? I'll keep an eye out for your arrant fin and terrified eyes.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Reasons for Learning technical diving -- Does trying to maintain household harmony count?

I was perfectly content to be a WWW and sometime cold water recreational diver until I was forced to take Essentials from Joe T. And THEN "the wife" told me we were going to Monterrey to dive with some "online friends" and THEY HAD A SCOOTER for me to use. That meant I had to change to a BP/W.

The final nail in the coffin was a WWW trip to Coz and "the wife" signed me up to do a tour in the SEANOTIES (or some weird spelling!) which were caves but not caves. Why would I want to go into a cave underwater when I had zero desire to go into a cave ABOVE water -- but I like my wife and want to stay on her good side -- so I went.

As Laura said, "Come here little boy, we have cookies........"

--------------------------------

Path to the goal -- I think the most important step in my path was to hire an instructor, in my case, Andrew G., to give me (three of us) diving lessons. There was no set course, no set path -- just going diving with Andrew and having him screw with us until we were REALLY out of air and/or too cold to go on. By the time I was threw with him, or more precisely, he was through with me, my diving skills had jumped to a whole 'nuther level. He made me a believer in diving lessons as opposed to diving classes.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Peter Guy wrote:Reasons for Learning technical diving -- Does trying to maintain household harmony count?

Not in my book. But I know that you and Lynne are an exception to the rule. I took OW with my beloved wife, who quit halfway through the dives. It wasn't something she wanted to do; which I respect as much as she respects kmy obsession with diving, She got into yoga. I bought her a mat to do yoga on. It worked out pretty well, as far as I'm concerned.

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

topic moved to the General Tech Diving forum.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I made the switch to get the cool c-card. Gets you really cool looks and remarks when you go to fill out paperwork at dive centers in the tropics. Highly recommended.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Tangfish wrote:I made the switch to get the cool c-card. Gets you really cool looks and remarks when you go to fill out paperwork at dive centers in the tropics. Highly recommended.
I can't wait to be asked for an AOW card or Nitrox card and slap down a tech card and see what happens (and, really, I've never taken an AOW course, so I guess I can't dive below 60 feet...).
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

lamont wrote:
Tangfish wrote:I made the switch to get the cool c-card. Gets you really cool looks and remarks when you go to fill out paperwork at dive centers in the tropics. Highly recommended.
I can't wait to be asked for an AOW card or Nitrox card and slap down a tech card and see what happens (and, really, I've never taken an AOW course, so I guess I can't dive below 60 feet...).
I did that in Bonaire last February ... they weren't quite sure that a NAUI Trimix II card qualified me for a dive on the Hilma Hooker ... :dontknow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Grateful Diver wrote:
lamont wrote:
I did that in Bonaire last February ... they weren't quite sure that a NAUI Trimix II card qualified me for a dive on the Hilma Hooker ... :dontknow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
So the fact that you were a NAUI AOW instructor wasn't sufficient to replace an actual AOW card? Do you need to retake that course from yourself???
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

lamont wrote:

I was looking forward to that, too. It's not as satisying as I thought it would be. The guy at the shop had no idea what my CCR Trimix card was, and after I tried to explain about how that qualified me for a nitrox fill, I started to feel like a jerk.

loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Joshua Smith wrote:
lamont wrote:

I was looking forward to that, too. It's not as satisying as I thought it would be. The guy at the shop had no idea what my CCR Trimix card was, and after I tried to explain about how that qualified me for a nitrox fill, I started to feel like a jerk.
Josh were you using your CCR or OC?

I had a boat argue with me about I am only certified for CCR not OC so I have to take this $60 class to dive OC on their boat. I laughed at him and then said what the hell is my Bailout? He thought for a second and then said oh yea.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Joshua Smith wrote:I was looking forward to that, too. It's not as satisying as I thought it would be. The guy at the shop had no idea what my CCR Trimix card was, and after I tried to explain about how that qualified me for a nitrox fill, I started to feel like a jerk.
I never show them anything other then my AOW card (which has a Nitrox endorsement on it) unless I have to. It keeps things so much simpler.

I made the mistake of showing a Trimix card once on a dive boat and then had to point out the "certified to use up to 100% Oxygen" in the small print before they would stop asking for my Nitrox card.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

HA! Sounds like we've ALL been there! A few years back I was on Little Cayman and I'd only brought my Advanced Trimix cert with me, foolishly thinking that it would cover any possibility. When I tried to pick up some AL 80s full of EANx 32 they wouldn't let me have them because I had no Nitrox card!!!! I was there on the invitation of the resort owner to do an article, and he had to literally come down to the tank shop and order them to give me the tanks....I don't think that any of them EVER understood, and just figured that I was being given special treatment by the owner!

How anyone working at a dive center could not understand what Trimix is and what it means to have the card is beyond me.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Oh, man- I'm laughing my ass of reading this- sounds like it's an almost universal experience!

"Heh, heh- the tank monkey's gonna have his mind blown when I show him my "Super Lemon Wedge Trimix" card for my nitrox fill!"

"uh- what the hell is this? This isn't a nitrox cert! Helium? You can't breathe Helium!" (squints suspiciously)

ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Scott is right on as always... Show them the card you will need for the dive & gas you are there to do/use. Anything else is maybe a bit of showing off or Ego or something... Either the don't know, or are being pills, either way the outcome is the same (hassles/headache/etc) and it does nothing more than feed the us/them discussions and allow us to feel elite in our little dive world.
boydski wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:I was looking forward to that, too. It's not as satisying as I thought it would be. The guy at the shop had no idea what my CCR Trimix card was, and after I tried to explain about how that qualified me for a nitrox fill, I started to feel like a jerk.
I never show them anything other then my AOW card (which has a Nitrox endorsement on it) unless I have to. It keeps things so much simpler.

I made the mistake of showing a Trimix card once on a dive boat and then had to point out the "certified to use up to 100% Oxygen" in the small print before they would stop asking for my Nitrox card.
----
RDW
Aquaphile

Post by RDW »

Hello. Maybe you don't know me. Whenever I travel to distant dive destinations, I always make sure I have my fully endorsed
and internationally recognized divers instruction certification card on me at all times. It really fits snugly into those euro style Speedo swimsuits. When I go diving, my OFDA Rebreather Instructor (let me show you how to use it over and over and over and...) C-Card gets me recognized in "dives" all over the world. The OFDA Card (Old Farts Diver's Association)...Never leave the hotel without one.
Bartenders worldwide will love you for it!

Oh wait...what was the original question again?
Randy Williams

"Man who say it cannot be done should not bother man who is doing it."