Need a PADI open water book

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Need a PADI open water book

Post by Agent 47 »

Hey, my friend is looking at getting into diving but has no money. I am setting him up with some of my old gear but I don't have a open water book for him. Does anyone have there old used open water manual they would be willing to part with?
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Need a PADI open water book

Post by Norris »

Hmm I HAVE one but I ripped the quiz sheets out of the back. I think they will require one with the questions and such to turn in.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

thats fine I have the test sheets on my computer so I can just print them out. :partydance:
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Well let me see what I have at home. I may even have the DVD laying around.

Ill post when I find out
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Agent 47 wrote:Hey, my friend is looking at getting into diving but has no money. I am setting him up with some of my old gear but I don't have a open water book for him. Does anyone have there old used open water manual they would be willing to part with?
Not to be a kill joy or anything,... but I would highly recommend that your friend take a course from a certified dive shop rather than just giving him some old gear and a book to read. I hope this was not his intention. Good way to get yourself killed.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I took it as he is getting certified but cannot afford all of the starting supplies needed.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

I may be wrong, but I dont think many dive shops let you sign up for the course without paying the fee which includes the manual, charts, tables, etc....Most even groan loudly, some VERY loudly :angry: :angry: if you dont buy your fins, mask, etc for your lessons from them as the profit margin on lessons is almost nil.

But hey,.. I might be wrong.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Could be the shop. Where I certified they told you to get:

Fins
Hood
Gloves
Snorkel
Mask
Boots
Book
DVD

Didn't matter where you got them, just had to have them to start.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

The shop I learned at had a guy standing at the door with a gun. If you didnt buy all your stuff there ..... well you get the picture! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :enforcer: :enforcer: :zots:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Jaksonbrown wrote:The shop I learned at had a guy standing at the door with a gun. If you didnt buy all your stuff there ..... well you get the picture! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :enforcer: :enforcer: :zots:
LOL yeah. I hear that
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

It is PADI Standards that each student have a current, PADI Manual or CD Rom, Logbook and either the RDP, ERDPml or PADI's guide to using a dive computer, depending on what the instructor is teaching. The instructor may require that the diver watch the DVD before the class starts, or it can be viewed in the classroom during the course. The basic PADI crewpack (minus the video) runs $60-75. I think the video runs $35-50.

Every shop is different on what personal gear is required. Most instructors don't have any heartburn about used or borrowed gear, as long as it is in good condition and fits the diver well. I think it is a good idea that the diver has a new mask though, that fits well and comfortably. Nothing is more frustrating to an instructor than having to deal with equipment issues when he/she is trying to get the class organized in the pool or open water.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Johnbhutch
Aquaphile

Post by Johnbhutch »

Or you could just send them down to Tacoma Scuba. If I am not mistaken they charge 349 and that includes everything you need plus 5 gear and tank rentals when you are done so you can go diving a few times before you deicide what to buy for yourself. Also they are SDI I think but there is nothing worng with that. Just throwing it out as an option. Oh an Joshua and Wally never guilt anyone into buying anything. In fact I can not tell you how many times they have talked me out of spending money I would regret later.
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

Thanks norris, as far as everything else I am a divemaster and have several friends who are active instructors who are more than happy to Help me out. So all the issues of dive shop rules and polocies are no problem. Just the joys and benefits of private lessons. So, to recap I am Helping my friend get certified he has all his gear he has an instructor lined up he has everything he needs except for a book to study before he takes his tests. And as I took my open water 16 years ago I no longer have my books (not that they would be any good even if I did ) :bow:

2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

I still have mine, with the DVD (maybe) let me know if you still need one.

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Johnbhutch wrote:Or you could just send them down to Tacoma Scuba. If I am not mistaken they charge 349 and that includes everything you need plus 5 gear and tank rentals when you are done so you can go diving a few times before you deicide what to buy for yourself. Also they are SDI I think but there is nothing worng with that. Just throwing it out as an option.
another option is to head over to josh smith's place. he charges $149 which includes long-winded stories about diving the Governor, hours of clarification as to why the Meg ccr is superior to all other ccrs, several glasses of whiskey, all you can drink malt liquor, a Super Trimix Lemon Wedge Diver c-card, and chilaquiles and eggs for breakfast.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:
Johnbhutch wrote:Or you could just send them down to Tacoma Scuba. If I am not mistaken they charge 349 and that includes everything you need plus 5 gear and tank rentals when you are done so you can go diving a few times before you deicide what to buy for yourself. Also they are SDI I think but there is nothing worng with that. Just throwing it out as an option.
another option is to head over to josh smith's place. he charges $149 which includes long-winded stories about diving the Governor, hours of clarification as to why the Meg ccr is superior to all other ccrs, several glasses of whiskey, all you can drink malt liquor, a Super Trimix Lemon Wedge Diver c-card, and chilaquiles and eggs for breakfast.
He only makes you breakfast if the evening goes well.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

spatman wrote:

That certainly sounds like a tasty way to get a C-card. "I cant remember what we actually did but I am reasonably sure we had fun, and, hey look! I am a certifiable diver person now!" :metal:

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:

Plus, if I get buzzed enough, I'll try and feel you up. But you WILL get a sketchy, 3rd rate education in some random basic diving education. Cash only.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Agent I have the book. I live in Marysville and dive the Muk every wed night, sometimes Mondays. When you want to get it?
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

Norris wrote:Agent I have the book. I live in Marysville and dive the Muk every wed night, sometimes Mondays. When you want to get it?

Hey, Thanks a bunch. looks like 2loud4you is going to be at the SSE club dive tomorrow and has a copy for me. :partydance:
I really appreciate your willingness to help me out though.

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Aww the weight of responsibility has made me lighter..he he

No problem!
CAPTNJACK - 2012**