Redondo Again!!!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Redondo Again!!!

Post by Scubak »

Redondo never fails to dissapoint...
Shortly after dropping in at the end of the pier, Tim and I saw a swimming worm of some sort!!!
Attachments
030.JPG
"Let's go diving!"
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Re: Redondo Again!!!

Post by Scubak »

Oops,
Hit the Enter button...
We made our way towards the carousel boat and found a teeny tiny Octo...
Then on our way back up, after seeing the usual critters, we headed North of Saltys and played in the shallows to find several more worms and a Sea Spider!!!
Awesome!!! Great Dive and Viz wasn't too bad either!!!!
Attachments
089.JPG
"Let's go diving!"
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Nice shots on some tough to catch critters.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Nice shots! Ain't those worms crazy? I got a pic of one last week ... by the time I caught up with the damn thing I was dizzy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

great worm pic! how big are those things?
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

The worm was about 9 to 10 inches long and about 3/4" across...I say this cuz he hit my camera several times and seemed to be unfazed with my gloved hand...
K
"Let's go diving!"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Saw one of those worms back in the day on a night dive at TTN - they were crazy attracted to the light, and were really FAST....

They were particularly "wormy" and creepy and made me very glad I was in a drysuit! :yipes:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Leslie
Avid Diver

Post by Leslie »

I agree that they are very wormy indeed but creepy? Beautiful, majestic, sexy - those are better words to describe one of these magnificent creatures.

As to what it is, it's a polychaete in either the genus Nereis or Neanthes in search of sex. It's a good picture - you can clearly see that there are 2 regions of the body. The anterior 1/6 is normal; the posterior 5/6 is packed full of gametes, the setae (bristles) have paddle-shaped blades, and the parapodia ("legs") have also developed elaborate fans to help it swim better.

Can I steal, ahem, download your image? I'm giving a talk to a group of saltwater aquarium enthusiasts who don't know what worms are. This would be a great way to explain what they're seeing in their tanks.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I've seen those at Redondo, Well usually just the one big one that seems to be attracted to our lights like Tom said. also see several smaller ones too.
The first time I saw a significantly large one was at Three Tree with Tom, in the shallows, as we were either beginning or ending our dive, we were standing there as this "Thing" kept swimming between our legs. :eek: Yes, we were happy to be in dry suits. Beautiful, majestic, sexy ? not for me. :blur: <---That's like the chill that runs up the back of my neck! But thanks for the info Leslie! =D>
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: