Right Post:
7' Primary Regulator (Yellow)
Drysuit inflation hose (Purple)

Left Post
Backup Regulator (Green)
Wing Inflator (Blue)
SPG (Red)

Argon Inflation (Orange)

i saw this post on another site and am very intrigued by his routing for the inflator hose, the extra drysuit inflation hose not so much. going to give it a try if i can find a inflator hose that short, whats the worse that can happen right?? :shootself:

thoughts?
Attachments
backmountsetup.jpg
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: hose routing

Post by LCF »

Well, my immediate thought is that, if you have to shut down a post, I'm going to have the wrong list of things you've lost in my head. But maybe lots of people change the posts things are attached to. I don't know. But I would be wrong about what you had left and what you didn't.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

I was taught that the LP hose for the wing goes on the right post to prevent a roll off. If the hose for the wing inflator is on the left, in an overhead enviroment it could be rubbed on the roof and accidently shut down causing a loss of inflation.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

blackwater wrote:I was taught that the LP hose for the wing goes on the right post to prevent a roll off. If the hose for the wing inflator is on the left, in an overhead enviroment it could be rubbed on the roof and accidently shut down causing a loss of inflation.

not a cave diver so not really a problem, plus if my wing and back up reg failed to work i would just check that post, would you?

that kind of brings up another point, would not having the right post turn on like the left post prevent roll offs? or at least most of them?

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Looks like a super clean way to route things.

The only issue i see with the roll off, is if you ever plan to try out caves you won't have to change your configuration.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Burntchef wrote:
blackwater wrote:I was taught that the LP hose for the wing goes on the right post to prevent a roll off. If the hose for the wing inflator is on the left, in an overhead enviroment it could be rubbed on the roof and accidently shut down causing a loss of inflation.

not a cave diver so not really a problem, plus if my wing and back up reg failed to work i would just check that post, would you?

that kind of brings up another point, would not having the right post turn on like the left post prevent roll offs? or at least most of them?
First off, LOVE the color coding! Is that for real? How'd they do it?

Otherwise yes, you want the right post to "roll on" so if you are bumping it in an overhead, or it rubs on an ascent line (happens) the person you donated the gas to (who isn't able to just reach up and turn on your valve like you can) doesn't get their gas cut off.

If your wing and backup roll off (again I have seen this happen from an ascent line) you aren't going to know it until you crash into the bottom, assuming there is a bottom.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

CaptnJack wrote:
Burntchef wrote:

Otherwise yes, you want the right post to "roll on" so if you are bumping it in an overhead, or it rubs on an ascent line (happens) the person you donated the gas to (who isn't able to just reach up and turn on your valve like you can) doesn't get their gas cut off.

If your wing and backup roll off (again I have seen this happen from an ascent line) you aren't going to know it until you crash into the bottom, assuming there is a bottom.
The color thing is photochop. You can see it if you look closely. But it makes it a hell of alot easier to discuss the routing in the picture. I have wondered as well why the threads for the left post aren't reversed. It seems that it would prevent roll offs on either side and would be easier to for doing flow checks to boot. I'm sure there's a good reason, I just can't think of it.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Burntchef wrote:

The color thing is photochop. You can see it if you look closely. But it makes it a hell of alot easier to discuss the routing in the picture. I have wondered as well why the threads for the left post aren't reversed. It seems that it would prevent roll offs on either side and would be easier to for doing flow checks to boot. I'm sure there's a good reason, I just can't think of it.
No reason I know of, its just the valve tooling they have. You need to check your valves anyway (boths sides + isolator) whenever you contact the ceiling. A non-roll-off left post would probably just make people lazy.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I'm gonna guess its that righty tighty, lefty loosey thing.

having some random valves out there that turn 'the other way' would really effing confuse things. there are a lot of modular valves out there that you can just switch back and forth between singles and doubles.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

CaptnJack wrote: First off, LOVE the color coding! Is that for real? How'd they do it?

how jacked up do you have to get to have a ascent line roll your post 2-3 times !!??? iam not doubting you but jebus you got be sloppy to get in that kind of mess. the few times i did a drop on a line in current it was pretty easy to keep one arm on the line to keep it off me and the current keeps you away as well.

also if i was dropping i would know pretty quick my right post was down since its being used to constantly slow me down.

i like everyones thought process but its still not clicking for me as to the why not

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Shit happens and probably more frequently on descent (or ascent sometimes).
Gas not turned on
Inflator's not hooked up
More current than you thought
Ear clearing issues
Suit leaks
Trying to keep up with a buddy and signals not getting through

All sorts of things can force you into the line closer than your accustomed to which can then work to roll off valves. Its only a couple turns so firm contact for only a few inches can turn a valve off or partially off.

Personally my brain is wired for:
right post = long hose & power inflation
left post = backup, spg & in no deco warm water, suit inflation

So as Lynne said, if you did have a problem an alternate configurations would not allow me to understand your issue and be a pretty marginal buddy. Unless you color-coded your hoses :)
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

so take away your argon bottle... where do you want to route your drysuit inflator hose?

I've seen kelp roll off a post, I've seen the anchor line roll off a post, I've seen the line from an SMB roll off a post. It happens. If the valve is easy to turn it doesn't take much. If you've not serviced your valves or never dove with a well maintained set, you may not have seen/experienced this. it also depends a bit on what knobs you have on your manifold.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

This exact topic came up on another board, but in the context of "what do you do when your wing is self inflating". Some people claim to be able to go vertical (head up) and disconnect the wing while dumping gas but I have never seen that done very successfully. That requires you to have either a very slow wing leak or to really be "on it".

Instead, I can tip head down and dump from the buttdump all day long while the wing self inflates. Those ALWAYS dump faster than the power inflator injects, otherwise the wing would burst. There is no longer a reaction speed issue on whether you can disconnect fast enough with drygloves, cold hands, whatever because you can dump and shut down the right post at the same time and stay relatively stable in the water column. Then fairly casually shut down the right post with my right hand and put my backup reg in my mouth. Whatever positive buoyancy I've accumulated I can compensate for by finning down. Or better yet scootering down.

IMHO, going head-up fins-down vertical position in a decompression situation with multiple bottles, with a scooter, in a cave or wreck, etc. is a mistake. I have seen many many tech students try just this scenario in shallow water and they all cork. If they don't cork because they are in an actual overhead, they have now crashed valves & regs into the ceiling and kicked up the floor. Kick down, dump with the left hand, shut down the right post & switch to your backup with the right works in all environments.