Dive Equipment Insurance

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Dive Equipment Insurance

Post by Tom Nic »

Here's another question for all you experienced folks on the board:

Do you carry insurance on your dive equipment? Why or why not? What company(s) would your recommend? Any other tips?

The experiences of many on this board were a huge factor in many of us deciding to carry Dan dive insurance in general, and I've been thinking about their equipment insurance as well.

Thoughts appreciated! :salute:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Hi, Tom!

I carry the DAN equipment insurance for all of my camera equipment, which is by FAR the most expensive part of my dive gear.

Shortly after I originally purchased the insurance I had a flood of my housing. My digital camera was a total loss, as was the lens. We're not talking a "point-n-Shoot" here, we're talking a full system worth thousands of dollars. I WAS SICK ABOUT IT!!!!

Within 1 week of my reporting the loss I received a check covering new replacement cost of the camera body and the lens (minus the deductible). There were NO hassles at ALL about how the accident happened, who's fault it was, etc.....and I expected there to BE hassles!

It gets even BETTER: the manufacturer no longer made the camera body that I was using, so the insurance company paid for a brand new housing that would match the newer model camera body I needed to buy, even though the old housing was still useable.

No complaints from me at ALL regarding the DAN equipment insurance, which is provided by the Firemans' Fund Insurance Company.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

so how much does the insurance cost?? what kind of proof of equipment do they need? i ask since i know i dont have all my reciepts from the past few years.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

I purchased the DAN insurance prior to my trip. Haven't had to use it but, if I needed to I'd rather have someone else pay the bulk of my equipment replacement cost. For me it's worth the $99 a year.
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

burntchef wrote:so how much does the insurance cost?? what kind of proof of equipment do they need? i ask since i know i dont have all my reciepts from the past few years.
The cost depends on what you insure. Each policy is completely different from diver to diver.

Your best bet is to go on line, fill out the form covering what you want to cover, then see the annual cost quote that they give you.

By the way, you don't need to cover everything - just the high end items you can't afford to lose.

Regarding proof of ownership, you would need to contact the company directly to find out the specifics. You probably could use photographic evidence of ownership, such as a shot with you wearing the equipment, but only the company itself could answer you properly on that. For my equipment serial numbers was all that was needed. The replacement cost was then determined by my providing them with current costs of the identical products as of the date I filed the claim.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I have DAN gear insurance as well (I liked the one-stop-shopping convenience) but know a few who use DEPP (Dive Equipment Protection Plan) who swear by them as well.

-Valerie
clackadiver
Just Settling In

Post by clackadiver »

Thanks too for the info, first hand claims experience is the best recommendation, and sometimes it's hard to get a good sampling.

Jeff
Six Gill
Just Settling In

Post by Six Gill »

Good info; I had my gear stolen along with my car almost two years ago. Keep good records of your items, a nice digital library is an excellent idea. My homeowners covered the gear; but it was a battle. It is best to have people who know the dive business insure it. And yes, $99 a year is so worth it in the long run.
Sonya