Dental Work

General banter about diving and why we love it.
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Dental Work

Post by E_Mo »

Turns out I have to get a filling on one of my back teeth on Saturday, I was planning on a dive on Monday... does anyone know if this will cause an issue with a new filling? Anyone know of any minimum amount of time between new dental work and diving that has been set?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Re: Dental Work

Post by Raydar »

E_Mo wrote:Turns out I have to get a filling on one of my back teeth on Saturday, I was planning on a dive on Monday... does anyone know if this will cause an issue with a new filling? Anyone know of any minimum amount of time between new dental work and diving that has been set?
I'm going to say ask your dentist. :)

That said, I've gone diving within hours of root canals, fillings, and crowns with no adverse effects.
Purveyor of crack ;)
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Post by E_Mo »

I asked my dentist's office, and they said I would be good to go.. but sometimes you never know if the dentist knows about diving issues. One time I asked about checking fillings for cracks or damage, as I had been told to be sure to ask your dentist to double check dental work, so pressurized air at depth could not seep into the dental work, and cause a tooth or dental work to crack from expanding pressure of the air upon surfacing. Upon asking the question the dentist just looked at me with a puzzled look... and appeared to not realize that the deeper you go, the higher the pressure.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Best to wait until the Novocain wears off...
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

When I asked my dentist about air-pockets in my dental work he just said "It's sealed up good. No worries. When are we going diving?" We've been great friends ever since. He's one of the divers in my dogfish video I've posted before.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The work you may need to be most concerned about are root canals. They sometimes pack a portion of the center with antibiotics which is obviously an airspace which can hold perfused gases. You need to discuss the packing with your dentist if you are getting a root canal, the antibiotics are typically prophyactic so aren't necessarily required.

Regular fillings are solid and there's little concern with those.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.