General topics about technical diving.
Kirby
Aquaphile

Liquivision X1

Post by Kirby »

Picture 017.jpg
Picture 018.jpg
Picture.jpg
Hi all, just thought it would be better to break this into a different thread... seems to have riled some folks up. Most of you are familiar I'm sure with my tale of woe with my destroyed liquivision computer. My story was shall we say, questioned by the makers and I was informed that the computer had sustained 'massive trauma' which was obviously due to abuse. I contended that the crack was due to pressure and temperature changes, and at the very worst, a fall from the top hutch of my computer desktop to the table.
I sent the computer back to them, they stated it was not repairable and sent it back to me. I figured I might as well give it a fitting burial, so took it along on my recent trip to Nanaimo. Lo and behold, at 266 ft it was still working fine! Oh happy day. It also worked on the next 6 dives, 3 below 200 ft, and is still going strong.
I was informed by the folks at Liquivision that the shop who sold me the computer told them that they had personal knowledge of a witness who saw me crush my computer with a set of duals. Funny thing is that when I asked the shop owner about this, he denies it completely.
Oh yeah, almost forgot, dove with some very nice Canadian divers on the trip who really liked our Liquivisions ( we had three of them on the trip in our group), I had to tell them all about the fact that all three of the computer he saw were replacements for defective computers, and that mine was broken but still working.
I really love this computer. It brings me up to the surface on a 220 ft dive at the exact same time as my 150.00 Tusa duo. Wish that darned 3 year old hockey puck would do trimix.

Kirby
Hi, My name is Kirby, and I am addicted to Nitrogen Narcosis.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: Liquivision X1

Post by airsix »

Glad to hear it's working well for you.

...even though this squashes my plan to convince you to sell it to me for $200 and have my windshield repair guy seal the crack. (I wouldn't try to seal the crack now that it's been submerged at pressure.)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Wow.... interesting story Kirby.... I'm glad the things working, but do ya think you should be trusting it?
I thought those would be a rather nice gauge to have... But your story gives me reason to pause.. if they are prone to telling stories and accusing customers of lying just to avoid warranty issues I think I'll look elsewhere....
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

:popcorn:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Geek wrote::popcorn:
I agree Geek

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

Can you take another decent picture of the first picture - the one you have is useless. I am really curious.

Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Waynne Fowler wrote:But your story gives me reason to pause.. if they are prone to telling stories and accusing customers of lying just to avoid warranty issues I think I'll look elsewhere....
3 sides to every story. :smt051
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

Hi all,

I have been warned by the moderator to cease and desist. I respect this, and will no longer post on this issue. If you would like to see the computer in person, you are going to have to dive with me (scary.......) I will be at the Lobster Shop wall in Tacoma Fri at 1830 for the All in One Dive shop group dive, and will be diving, Sun, and Tues thru Fri next week. I have been pulling up some really nice bottles in the 150 - 160 ft range and would love to not dive solo.

Kirby
(253) 347-2817
kirbytp@comcast.net
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

So, out of morbid curiosity.... exactly what part of the OP's thread violated the TOS?? :dontknow:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Geek wrote:So, out of morbid curiosity.... exactly what part of the OP's thread violated the TOS?? :dontknow:
The original thread got pretty heated, so a rehash is in danger of violating rule #1: Don't be a dick.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

but what if my name were Richard...... could I be a dick then? :breakdance:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

I think this is the part of the post where people start talking about relationships with animals......
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

Geek wrote:So, out of morbid curiosity.... exactly what part of the OP's thread violated the TOS?? :dontknow:
John, I have the same questions. We were all finally having a chance to see the damage for ourselves and make up our own minds... is there some kind of protectionism going on here?

I don't see any violation of the TOS and sharing experience with manufacturers is what this kind of board is all about no?

this is disappointing to me.

George
Gill Envy

...because we weren't born with gills!
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

I do not know if Calvin is thinking this way or not, I would be as the owner of this board.

That until the lawsuit is settled with Scuba board and we know the courts decisions on that. That anything that involves a discussion that is negative on a product or a business is avoided at least until the outcome. That and there was a whole lot of dirt throwing going on. I did not think about that until I read thought some of the legal filings on the case of Scuba board and talked with a friend of mine who is a NAA (nasty assed attorney). There is some responsibility as he is providing the medium. Exactly what responsibility a board has is yet defined very well. That is scary to me but NAA’s love that kind of thing to argue new law.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Gill Envy wrote:
John, I have the same questions. We were all finally having a chance to see the damage for ourselves and make up our own minds... is there some kind of protectionism going on here?
No, gentlemen....there is no "conspiracy" or "protectionism" involved here. The simple fact is that when dead horses are beaten enough they begin to smell....

Kirby did not violate the TOS. He was not ordered to stop, he was not threatened with action, he was ASKED kindly, nicely and politely. The word "please" was used by the Mod that contacted him.

Both sides of this issue simply need to take their battle elsewhere.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

John Rawlings wrote:
Gill Envy wrote:
No, gentlemen....there is no "conspiracy" or "protectionism" involved here. The simple fact is that when dead horses are beaten enough they begin to smell....

Kirby did not violate the TOS. He was not ordered to stop, he was not threatened with action, he was ASKED kindly, nicely and politely. The word "please" was used by the Mod that contacted him.

Both sides of this issue simply need to take their battle elsewhere.

- John

John put it pretty well, actually. Look, personally, I don't care if you guys want to keep going over this topic, again and again and again. We never locked this thread, censored pictures, or anything like that. Be my guest. Personally, I thought we'd been over it in minute detail, ad nauseum. But, for those of you that are enthralled by this topic- knock yourselves out.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

Seeing the computer after it's come back from the manufacturer was new information, so is knowing the computer is functional after several new dives, as well as knowing that the crack looks about the same as the other cracked units I've seen pictures of is all valuable information to me. Thanks for posting the info Kirby, a few more shots of the screen in better light would be helpful and will put the issue to rest for me.

to me it just comes down to collecting information for making decisions over time, I don't base them on any one person's experience.

Also, when people send around PM's undermining someone's account of something, and that's happened to more than one person in this subject, it becomes even more important to me to verify, the best I can, what the deal really is/was.

Kind Regards,
George
Gill Envy

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Gill Envy wrote:Seeing the computer after it's come back from the manufacturer was new information, so is knowing the computer is functional after several new dives, as well as knowing that the crack looks about the same as the other cracked units I've seen pictures of is all valuable information to me. Thanks for posting the info Kirby, a few more shots of the screen in better light would be helpful and will put the issue to rest for me.

to me it just comes down to collecting information for making decisions over time, I don't base them on any one person's experience.

Also, when people send around PM's undermining someone's account of something, and that's happened to more than one person in this subject, it becomes even more important to me to verify, the best I can, what the deal really is/was.

Kind Regards,
George

Seeing as Kirby has published his contact info out in the open, I might suggest contacting him directly. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to show you the unit, and discuss his experience with you face to face. This is just a suggestion- feel free to keep this thread going as long as you please, within the TOS.

The last thread on this subject degenerated into bickering and flaming, which is the only reason we weren't thrilled to see it pop up again.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

I would still like to see a clearer photo. as difficult as it is to see, Kirby's photo looks remarkably like others that have been posted where the computer was replaced at no charge due to internal stress fracture of some sort. Quite a few of these issues have been reported with the X1, and I believe the issue has been resolved on newer units. The reliability of the computer is of concern as I have considered purchasing one of these as a back up to lighten the load on remote trips, between my wife and I. I have run into Kirby randomly and he seems like a fine fellow, well you know, with the appropriate degree of quirkiness indicative of a tec diver ;~)

here is a link to a photo showing a nearly identical crack starting in the upper left corner of the unit: http://www.rebreatherworld.com/liquivis ... -x1-4.html.

Kind Regards,
George
Gill Envy

Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

Well, my cracked computer finally quit working, got 60 more deep dives on it before it gave up the ghost. It is now available for post mortem dissection if anyone is interested drop me a PM. On a lighter note, did you know you can get really really deep at Redondo? A 10 minute hard swim across the 110 ft flats brings you to a nice deep steep slope. I got to 150 before the looming deco of the return swim spooked me and it was still black and steep down below..... Hmmmm sounds like I need to check that out again. I might even have to bring a buddy next time. In light of the latest fatality at Redondo, it has surpassed Dead Man's wall as the most dangerous dive site in the South Sound.

Kirby
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Liquivision X1

Post by Tangfish »

Sorry to hear about the X1. Did you have a backup with you?
Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

It survived the dive, then died on the charger, wouldn't run off of the charger, still ran while plugged in. My friend is now waiting for his new computer to replace the one that failed on him last month, Liquivision states they have come out with some new updates that will make the unit more reliable. It will be interesting to see if this one lasts, or if he gets it anytime soon.

Kirby
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

So how much you want for the remains?
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

My X1 just went DOA on a dive. No warning. I just happened to be looking at the screen when it faded to a dark screen at about 100 min of RT. Got home, rinsed and charged. Now it won't respond at all. Waiting to hear from Liquivision. I really like this computer and would like to add the X-link to my Meg and dump the second handset but...............
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

airsix wrote:So how much you want for the remains?
No charge. Meet me at Cove 2? Plan on diving there some time this week Th Fr or Sat.

Kirby