Stopping by for the first time ever...

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
tjmallory
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Stopping by for the first time ever...

Post by tjmallory »

so I have wanted to dive for a very long time now.... my most recent hobby of starting up a saltwater aquarium with corals and invert is really what got me all hyped to start diving.

I have no idea where to start other then here... no idea what goggles I should buy...shoot I don't even know what all I need.

anyhow I am looking for some advice on where to go what to buy and how to get started.

I am looking forward to meeting a bunch of you, the board seems really friendly and I can't wait to make some dives.

On a total separate note, my father Jeff Mallory had some friends that were divers, they actually spear fish.. they were local, I was just randomly hoping to run across them. :occasion5:

anyhow looking forward to it...
Tyler Mallory
http://www.tjmallory.com

P.S. will trade design work or graphics for diving equiptment
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Re: Stopping by for the first time ever...

Post by scottsax »

Hi Tyler!

Welcome to NWDC! We're having a little club dive this coming Sunday, the 28th at Seacrest Park Cove 2 on Alki in West Seattle. You should come on down, introduce yourself, and meet some of the folks here. There's lots of good people, lots of outstanding instructors, and all of us are 100% bonkers for diving. You will have more opinions thrown at you than you can deal with, but you'll get some good information, as well.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Hey Tyler,

Welcome! Where do you live? We can recomend a great dive shop near you. That is where you start. Your LDS(local dive shop) pro can walk you through your equipment your gonna need and get you set up on taking a course. Many of them offer packages that include all of your basic gear, (mask, fins, hood, gloves, boots,etc) along with your lessons. Once you get certified, drop me a line. Im a spearfisherman with a boat. Id love to show you around.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Hey Tyler,

Nice to see you found us. I'm the guy that talked to you earlier about joining up here. You'll find lots of great advice and as you haven't gotten certified yet you'll have a chance to ask tons of questions and hope fully avoid some of the mistakes that some of us have made starting out. Like I told you earlier, although this sport is far from cheap, you can do it on a surprisingly small budget if you do your research and buy what you want the first time around. I look forward to seeing you around one of our local watering holes.

Matt
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Welcome. This is a great place to start. You'll find the friendliest divers around right here! As for gear, don't get in a big hurry to go out and purchase gear yet. Depending on where you take your course, they may have requirements as to what you use in the course. Many of us found that we preferred other gear after we had been sufficiently soaked in Puget Sound. There are lots of folks here who are more than willing to let you try different gear till you find what you like. The most expensive gear is the gear you replace. Better to buy it once, and wear it out yourself!
I'll second the advice to show up at the club dive Sunday. You just might meet your instructor there. I'm sure you will find lots of future dive buddies.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Welcome to the club... I've not been on here for very long and I'm recently certified but I would have to agree with all of the above! This seems like a great wealth of info and advice. I'm going to go to the club dive to put faces to names and finally meet what appears to be a great bunch of folks, I'd recommend you do too...

Cheers! :occasion5:
Alex
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

tjmallory
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by tjmallory »

WOW I am getting more and more excited to do this by the post... I never would have thought I would have gotten this many responses. Thank you all for the quick and friendly post.

I live in magnolia.. a suburb of seattle. I am super tight on budget so I am figuring I am going to be piecing things together fairly slow until I am suited and booted.

thanks again please feel free to shoot me your suggestions and opinions I love to hear them... as far as sunday goes I might have to do that it sounds like loads of fun.

and spearfishing.... I am SO in! that would be just my style.

ok ok so on that separate note again.... if I could ask a favor I really want to run into this guy again he was a good friend of my pops..... if everyone can be random with me and just ask around to friends that are divers if they knew a jeff Mallory he was a lineman.... I can't remember his friends name but I would really love to get in touch... Thanks for the help ahead of time.. HAHA

Tyler
spatz84
Aquaphile

Post by spatz84 »

Hey hello from the north end! welcome to the club. I'm from up in the everett area. once your ready come check out the MMM nights. A regular weekly dive group up in everett. Its a great place to start getting dives in and have a chance to dive with more expierenced divers.

anyways welcome, and hope you can make it to the club dive in alki!

S. :supz: