Edmonds incident

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Edmonds incident

Post by Nwbrewer »

"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Re: Edmonds incident

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Me too.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Well, sounds like everybody made it out of the water OK, anyway.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Divers- ... 36117.html

Though one was taken away on a guerney...my thoughts are with them tonite.
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Sad, Every time I hear about an incident I just cringe. From what I heard it was a husband and wife so it is doubly sad. Hope she makes it.
Old Nubbins
Aquaphile

Post by Old Nubbins »

I was there for my AOW class that morning. From the discussions of the EMT personell I overheard, she was conscious but unable to speak.

Bad weekend for incidents.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Wow I just read the one from Redondo Today and I hope everyone comes out OK.
Jeff Castor
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Eeeeek! Some friends invited me to go diving with them at Edmonds Saturday morning; I skipped it.

I need to find out if they're okay...
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

oregondiver wrote:Saying BCD issue...
http://edmonds.komonews.com/content/bcd ... onds-diver
Sounds like she corked and then had a panic attack... Glad she made it out.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Whew! At least she's going to be OK....as we know, some of these don't end so well! I'm glad that this one did! :thumb3d:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Wonderful! Finally an incident with a good outcome. A big cheer for all the rescue folks that did such a good job. It does sound as though it was a drysuit inflater problem and not a BCD one though.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Dusty2 wrote:Wonderful! Finally an incident with a good outcome. A big cheer for all the rescue folks that did such a good job. It does sound as though it was a drysuit inflater problem and not a BCD one though.

I'm betting she needs a new drysuit just like Matt did. Paramedics are liberal with the shears. (as they should be)
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Nice to hear that CPR has a real life victory to report. The description of events sounds a little odd but who cares? Glad everyone's ok and respect to the rescued diver for wanting to get right back on the horse.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

The idea that her BCD was holding her upside-down seems a little odd, for sure, but all's well that ends well.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

maybe face-down is what was meant. an over inflated back lift style jacket B.C. could conceivably be hard to flip over if there was a fair bit of play in the jacket, combined with the a possible excess of air in her drysuit from the ascent, the suit itself could be holding her 'head down'... I can see it.

if you think i'm giving too much benefit of doubt, go fill your drysuit up to michellin man, loosen the shoulder straps on your bp/wings, inflate your wing to bursting and give it a shot ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
crowplus
Just Settling In

Post by crowplus »

Glad to hear the victim is confirmed to be ok.

A few observations that may have been contributing factors to the incident:

Displaying a blue temporary handicap placard, the couple parked in and suited up using the north handicap parking slot. They entered the water south of the Jetty.
Handicap parking qualifications: http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/parking.html

Their gear (weight systems intact) and a camera with a remote flash attachment were recovered .

An Aqua Lung Pearl-type model BC was worn by least one of them. Divers may want to become familiar with this type of inflation mechanism. Notice no obvious oral inflation hose and a one lever “controller” for adjusting buoyancy.
http://www.aqualung.com/uk/content/view/215/9/
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

:popcorn:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

ljjames wrote:maybe face-down is what was meant. an over inflated back lift style jacket B.C. could conceivably be hard to flip over if there was a fair bit of play in the jacket, combined with the a possible excess of air in her drysuit from the ascent, the suit itself could be holding her 'head down'... I can see it.

if you think i'm giving too much benefit of doubt, go fill your drysuit up to michellin man, loosen the shoulder straps on your bp/wings, inflate your wing to bursting and give it a shot ;)
Not necessary; all it takes is a little too much air in my back-inflate BCD and I wind up on my face, so I understand the idea even without the added problem of the dry suit inflation. It took me several tries to realize that the reason I couldn't stay on my back was because I had too much air in the thing, so if she was face down, it makes sense.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

right, that is what i was saying ;)
dwashbur wrote:
ljjames wrote:maybe face-down is what was meant. an over inflated back lift style jacket B.C. could conceivably be hard to flip over if there was a fair bit of play in the jacket, combined with the a possible excess of air in her drysuit from the ascent, the suit itself could be holding her 'head down'... I can see it.

Not necessary; all it takes is a little too much air in my back-inflate BCD and I wind up on my face, so I understand the idea even without the added problem of the dry suit inflation. It took me several tries to realize that the reason I couldn't stay on my back was because I had too much air in the thing, so if she was face down, it makes sense.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

dwashbur wrote:

Also, single Al80s with BI or BP/W configs tend to push you face-down for obvious physics reasons. Steel tanks, weighted STAs and/or tank weights can help...
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: