Newly certified looking for experience.

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Newly certified looking for experience.

Post by WASP7000 »

Hey, I just got OW and AOW certified recently and I'm looking to do some diving. Only problem is, my girlfriend went through the OW just fine and once in the AOW class, decided she didn't like it anymore. So I'm buddy-less.

I live down in Rochester/Olympia. I'm 24, I've got all my own gear except a BCD at the moment, gotta wait on fundage for that. Anybody want to show me some good dive spots that would be awsome. I'm not a reckless person and I believe in safe diving and need a buddy that is the same.

Oh yeah, I've always wanted to try spearfishing and chasing crabs around or other tasty sea creatures(for eating, not harrassing). I've got a BA pole spear that I haven't tried out yet.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: Newly certified looking for experience.

Post by John Rawlings »

Welcome to NWDC!

There are a LOT of divers in the South Sound area - I'm sure that some of them will be chiming in here soon! I'm way up North by Everett, but I hope to meet you someday!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

ya got TONS of divers all around you WASP7000... Oly is FULL of divers who are full of ________ .... well... you fill in the blank!
:)

PM me I'll share some names with ya... I'd love to hop in the water with you.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

We dive wed and fri nights. Meet at the shop at 6:30.
spatz84
Aquaphile

Post by spatz84 »

I'm another north ender, but would like to say welcome to the club. See you around some time I'm sure.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Keep an eye on the Dive Planning section and you are welcome to join me on a Thursday dive. I'll give you a tour of Three Tree N or Redondo. I have not tried spear fishing as of yet, but hope to do it some day. Just try not to spear fish at some of our easy, beginner or photographer friendly dive sites. Crabbing is fun, if you know where to go and get a few techniques down.
Welcome to the Club, You just inherited a whole bunch of dive buddies! :grouphug:

Keith. :salute:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

I'm up for diving anywhere if someone wants to show me. And yeah, I definitely agree no spearing at dive sites where people like to do sight seeing and photography, not cool. I'll get a camera one of these days too, so I want all the fish to stay in those places.

I really want to go crabbing, Mike and I were just talking about that today. Something about that crab taking off gives you the natural instinct to chase...come here you little $%@!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

WASP7000 wrote: I really want to go crabbing, Mike and I were just talking about that today. Something about that crab taking off gives you the natural instinct to chase...come here you little $%@!
Chasing Dungie's around make for a short dive, due to the increas3d usage of your air.

Red rock on the other hand, are a quick grab and stuff in to your bag!

It takes a few more Red Rock to make a meal, but they do taste good!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

BASSMAN wrote: It takes a few more Red Rock to make a meal, but they do taste good!

Lol you can say that again! Eating Red Rock crab is like trying to make a meal out of sunflower seeds (albeit much tastier). The effort/reward ratio is a little off IMO.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

yeah, me and the girlfriend did a lot of red rock crab bashing last year. Learned why they call they "rock" crabs. You need a friggin hammer to smash them open.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

WASP7000 wrote:I'm up for diving anywhere if someone wants to show me. And yeah, I definitely agree no spearing at dive sites where people like to do sight seeing and photography, not cool. I'll get a camera one of these days too, so I want all the fish to stay in those places.

I really want to go crabbing, Mike and I were just talking about that today. Something about that crab taking off gives you the natural instinct to chase...come here you little $%@!

If you can come up with Mike this weekend to go scalloping, you can get a feel for how long the drive is to Oak Harbor and see if you want to drive up in July for crabbing. I've got the super secret spot... well, not too secret, but we have never had any problems getting our limits there.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

pensacoladiver wrote: If you can come up with Mike this weekend to go scalloping, you can get a feel for how long the drive is to Oak Harbor and see if you want to drive up in July for crabbing. I've got the super secret spot... well, not too secret, but we have never had any problems getting our limits there.
Yeah, bring your dramamine too.....
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

Yeah, I'm not really wanting to test out if my reg is "puke through" capable. Actually, I've been on a lot of boats and done a lot of fishing growing up (mostly in the Columbia), and only puked once. It was on the ocean, not rough by any means, but something about the motion of that fiberglass boat :vom:

puking and catching salmon, nothing better......ok well minus the puking would have been better.

Which is why I'll be buying an aluminum boat in the future.