Howdy!

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
BbbleMkr
Aquaphile

Howdy!

Post by BbbleMkr »

Hi: I've been posting, but realized I forgot the crucial step of introducing myself. I'm Delaina and I've been diving for about 2 years now. I'm over 100 dives, but I really don't count anymore. I'm working toward quality, not quantity. I dive mostly with my spouse rdancey and business partner Diver C, but am easy enough to partner up with just about anyone using a regulator.

Most of my diving has been in the Puget Sound, but I've ventured as far north as Port Hardy and as far south as Barbados. I'm rescue diver certified, but, luckily, have not been put in the position to try and remember/use any of it. I've also taken 5th Dimension's Fundamental class with Steve White and think, hands down, it is the best class around to hone buoyancy, trim and breath control. Whatever your thoughts are about the DIR philosophy, their goal is to make rock solid divers.

Lately, I've been bitten hard by the NW Critter bug. I've taken Mischi Carter's classes and gone to Jana's free offerings when time's permitted. That knowledge put me in good stead when I started volunteering at the Seattle Aquarium, which I just luuuuuuuuuuv! I've always enjoyed the aquarium, then discovered the Nirvana of diving, so what could be better than diving _in_ the aquarium? (There must be something, but it's probabaly illegal, immoral or both.)

I'm heading to Hood Canal this weekend to dive with Sparky and the gang so I'm looking forward to meeting lots of divers on this board. Beyond that, my dive partner is spending most of his time in Las Vegas so I'm up for some nights and more weekends to dive. If you're looking for a partner or an amiable third, let me know!

Delaina
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Welcome, and thanks for putting a photo up... the one you had was freaking me out!!! :bounce:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

welcome to our spot of the diving community. :supz:
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Looking forward to meeting you this weekend!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Quality, eh? Is that why, lately, you've been diving only in the Aquarium? Puget Sound too boring, too murky for ya'??? Do you think you can handle diving without the confines of walls, clear water, and tourists wondering what on earth you're doing threatening cabazons with an ice scraper?
BbbleMkr
Aquaphile

Post by BbbleMkr »

Really. I do not "threaten them with an ice scraper". 9 times out of 10 I just ask them nicely and nudge them a teensy, weensy bit when they won't get out of the window I'm cleaning.

This one didn't want to move because he/she wanted me to pull off parasites. Apparently, we look like large shrimp cleaning stations to the well fed fish. I had my dive buddy come over and pull off some worms and the cabbie shivered with each pluck. We're told not to anthropomorphize (don't even know if that's a word) the fish, but it looked happier without the worm danglies. Maybe they're itchy.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I don't blame him - I hate it when worms hang off me. :pale:

What did you do with the worms after you plucked them? I hope you didn't leave them in the tank!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BbbleMkr
Aquaphile

Post by BbbleMkr »

That time, I just let them go back into the water--a less than optimal solution, I agree. I've had other aquarium divers tell me they have vacuums to suck them up, or using even more ingenuity, the divers bring anemones with them to the fish and lay the worms on the tentacles! Divers are smart.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Hi Delaina!

Looking forward to meeting and diving with you this weekend!
runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

Welcome to the boards! =)

Ron
--
Ron Hines
Naui OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox