Building My New HD setup

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Building My New HD setup

Post by H20doctor »

well after seeing the quality of HD video and how amazing it comes out !! , i took the time to research Camcorders .. I had to look at what did what ? and for how much $$ , I also had to consider once i bought a camcorder , then I had to waterproof it in a Housing ... So I had 2 choices , camera and Housing... with all the options available ... The FLIP , Panasonic.. Go Pro Hero.. and many others .. I went with a Canon
The canon line is impressive and had many options for Video... I also didnt want to eat a Housing $$ , and Most Ikelights Housing arent cheap , they also dont let you use 100 % of the camcorders functions... So I bought the Canon Vixia HF 200 back last Christmas for 699.00.. And i just Now got the Housing last week for 425.00 from Abes of Maine..
Yes its a Big purchase thousand Bucks in video... So i am getting dive insurance on the gear before I get it all wet.. I am also building a custom lighting Rack for the set up .. this light rack will allow me to switch between my camera and My video, all on the same set up.. I purchased the Lock line from them and will mount my homemade video light son them... I also got delrin Pegs and a a 4 inch wide strip of delrin from Tap plastics all under 18.00..
case and camera.jpg
Light rack.jpg
complete 1.jpg
I still need to figure out how far apart should I have the Lights ? and How high up should they be ? the current sections are 12 inches High .. I have enough Locline to go another 24 inches total ..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: Building My New HD setup

Post by mz53480 »

Cool!
How much for the blue flowery box in the last pic? :biggrin:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

mz53480 wrote:Cool!
And the vertical blinds are so 1980! :neener:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

cardiver wrote:
mz53480 wrote:Cool!
And the vertical blinds are so 1980! :neener:
Oh Yeah baby! :laugh:
(but seriously....how much for the box?)
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

And the academy award for the BEST VIDEO DOCUMENTARY goes to...... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Chris don't forget the NHZ part of your subject.....

MZ I already PM'd about the blue flowery box so you DONT GET TO HAVE IT. I may let you borrow it for a week though.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Its all good .. The Blue Box can be purchased from Ben Franklin, its a Photo Box.. The 80's Blinds are in the House cause The 80's Fricken Rule .. Metal .. :supz: , and for you other wise Crackers .. Keep it up and I will Video you In HD silting Up the dive sites and Flubbing with your trim , when you least expect it !! MuuuWaaa Haaa
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

H20doctor wrote:Its all good .. The Blue Box can be purchased from Ben Franklin, its a Photo Box.. The 80's Blinds are in the House cause The 80's Fricken Rule .. Metal .. :supz: , and for you other wise Crackers .. Keep it up and I will Video you In HD silting Up the dive sites and Flubbing with your trim , when you least expect it !! MuuuWaaa Haaa

when ya wanna video me silt up everything in hd? i come back this weekend!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

H20doctor wrote:The 80's Fricken Rule .. Metal .. :supz: , and for you other wise Crackers .. Keep it up and I will Video you In HD silting Up the dive sites and Flubbing with your trim , when you least expect it !! MuuuWaaa Haaa
Who you callin' CRACKER?!?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

So Today i had to realize that my other super chip SST-90 is 8 weeks out from Avnet... which means I wont have a Light Rack till the end of summer... And also the 5 amp drivers wont be avail till the end of April maybe 1 week of may, Plan B , build a light Bar with 2 SSC P7 chips ...This seems good but I would have to order chips from Hong Kong , and thats also 7 weeks out.. So the little voice in side my brain said ... just use the Led's i have in stock and make a light rack for now.. and get the Big bad light rack made later towards the end of the summer.. that way i can get filming underwater and still have a good light set up.. I worked today on the Light Modules, Or light engines>> 3 XRE chips , putting out about 700 lumens per engine.. so a total of 1400 lumens for video light.. My future set up will have close to 5000 Lumens
light engine 1.jpg
light 2.jpg
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I'd like to see this homebrew rig! I'm curious though, how many degress will the beam width be? What is the freq on those led's or what color light do they project?
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

H20doctor wrote: ...
I also got delrin Pegs and a a 4 inch wide strip of delrin from Tap plastics all under 18.00..
complete 1.jpg
You will want to test your new setup in a tub of water and get the rig buoyancy close to neutral. It looks way buoyant. For a rig I made a couple years ago, I had plastic conduit for a handle, so I drilled several 1/2" holes in a block of wood, melted some lead and poured it into the holes, then broke the wood up and had a lead slugs to place in the handle. I kept adding lead until it was neutral. Be safe, do everything outside, clean up well. Lead is nasty stuff.

Neutral is much better than my current camera setup, which is a too buoyant, I haven't had time yet to fix that, but I will fix that before I dive my camera again, because of the wrist strain.
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Dash.. the optics are 8 deg, im just lookin for some flood action with no spot , I am also going to get some sandblasted Plexi and use that for a light diffuser.. Mike I am going to make this rig as Neutral as possible , But the chunk of Delrin is pretty darn Heavy, and thick.. Not too sure on what Im gonna use for weight , or if i will need any ?
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I read up on all of the leds mentioned and found that they are 6300 kelvin, I am on my phone but I think 6300 is a slight blueish tint. And personally I like the blueish tint, I assume 8 degrees for each individual led is what you mean. And with 6 total I assume you will be rocking a nice rig but with too much flood would you be having your leds farther away from the lense to prevent backscatter?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Dashrynn wrote:I read up on all of the leds mentioned and found that they are 6300 kelvin, I am on my phone but I think 6300 is a slight blueish tint. And personally I like the blueish tint, I assume 8 degrees for each individual led is what you mean. And with 6 total I assume you will be rocking a nice rig but with too much flood would you be having your leds farther away from the lense to prevent backscatter?
Cree XR-E's come in a wide variety of tints. If he's using the ones I think he is, yes they are slightly blue, but no worse than the average HID. I prefer warmer tints for camera work, but they don't cut through the water as well as the more blue LED's.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

It really depends on the Bin code ... I'd say there more white tint than Blue .. , I have plenty of Loc Line to throw the Light Up and out .. As I remember you want the Light to throw Out in a Cone Of Light ... I will fire them Up later and get a Picture of the Color and Beam spread Pattern
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

today i got both the light Engines mounted into the lens Housings... And here they are fired up ..

6 feet from the wall
beam shot.jpg
Off the deck looking out into the Horse Pasture
beam 2.jpg
Looking at the light spill on the deck
deck shot.jpg
straight on
straight on.jpg
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

well i had to figure out how to mount the camera to the delrin... so i went to wallmart and bought me a piece of crap O camera tripod for 20.00 , then i took off the top mounting plate thingy and stuck in on the delrin with 3 nice stainless screws.. the other end threads into the bottom of my housing.
camera stand.jpg
The mount ...
mount.jpg
the mount locked into the Base
mount and base.jpg
whats nice about this is the housing stays locked into the Base and doesnt move at all
camera on mount.jpg
Here is the completed Rig from the Front
front complete.jpg
and with the Lights fired On ...

Here is the battery tube for the Batteries , and the backside of the set up
back complete.jpg
front complete lghts on.jpg
So three days of custom work and I got the sucker all done.... total cost for this was under 125.00
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Nice work doc. I believe the mounting bolt for the standard tripod is just a 1/4-20 SS bolt though....
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Looking good Doc. You should join us at MUK tomorrow and get that sucker wet.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Nice looking rig Doc but the beam is way to focused for video work. You might think about checking out one of the camera stores for masking material or you can use the crinkle type plastic that they use in florescent lighting. The idea with video lights is to totally diffuse the light so there is no hot spot at all or very little.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

just got my wide angle Lens 2 days ago !!!! sweet
lens 1.jpg
lens 2.jpg
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Nice! Now you need to show up at TTN tomorrow night.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

actually i'd LOVE it if my light heads were buoyant. :)

Then i could ballast the housing (or scooter) so that the whole kit and kaboodle floated right side up!

I think most of us just suffer silently with light head heavy systems or invest in xtra buoyancy floatation arms or syntatic foam floats, etc... to try to make things a bit happier :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

My preference is very slightly negative so if I should drop it it will settle gently to the bottom and not float away and it is not floating up and getting tangled in my gear. Floaty cameras are the pits! always trying to get under your hoses or other gear. Just a few ounces negative and when I release it to do something else it's always dangling down gently from my wrist and out of my way.