Hollis H-160 vs Dive xtra Sierra???

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Hollis H-160 vs Dive xtra Sierra???

Post by Dashrynn »

So i was ebaying it up just now and found a cheap priced hollis h-160 scooter http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

Does anyone know the difference??

considering the price compared to a new xtra scooter i kinda like it but experience is always a truthful man. I have heard tons of great things about an x scooter but nothing on hollis. From what i understand hollis scooters have atleast been around since 2008.

I read about it having a 3x3 led light that i thought would be nice but probably a nuisance.

Im not bashing either machine just trying to find out which is better for the buck. This scooter 3,200$ dive xtra short 3800$

What hollis says about there scooter. http://www.hollisgear.com/prodview.asp?id=20

What dive xtra says about their scooter. http://www.dive-xtras.com/pages/scooter ... arison.asp and prices http://www.dive-xtras.com/cart/pc/viewC ... ategory=11

For a dpv whats the difference between torque and speed??? for speed it varies because of drag right? Im so confused -_-
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: Hollis H-160 vs Dive xtra Sierra???

Post by ljjames »

how about you come out with Mike and I diving sometime and try them both? Make your own decision...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

ljjames wrote:how about you come out with Mike and I diving sometime and try them both? Make your own decision...
i was thinking you said mike and ike for a minute there....

Id love to but its soooo farrrr, maybe we could set a demo date in the future when i have a proper weekend off (that and dive with some friends)
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

There will be demo dates that come up, this is just a neat opportunity because Mike is the Hollis rep and dives one, and i'm a diehard X-scooter fan-girl...

Mike is a busy man so generally speaking when an opportunity comes up, it's a good idea to jump on it. I'll drop you a line when we are gonna have all the scoots in the same place. And even if its just a hollis demo day, you may have good opportunity, cause you know what the sierra rides like :)

PS... it's not that far to try out scoots for free ;)
Dashrynn wrote:
ljjames wrote:how about you come out with Mike and I diving sometime and try them both? Make your own decision...
i was thinking you said mike and ike for a minute there....

Id love to but its soooo farrrr, maybe we could set a demo date in the future when i have a proper weekend off (that and dive with some friends)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

From the spec sheet the Hollis looks to have two fewer speed increments (making it one of the few scooters with shift on the fly capability), but quite a bit more thrust. It also weighs 11 lbs more so It's up there with a cuda in the weight department. If it can actually deliver 60 lbs of thrust (compared to 35 lbs for the Siearra and 78 for the Cuda) it would seem to be quite the bang for the buck.

OTOH theses guys claim a 90 minute runtime @ 3.6 mph (a cuda does 2.82 mph) weighing 10 lbs and costing $700 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
http://www.bladefish.net/content/bladefish-5000

So manufacturers claim are sometimes just that.

AFAIK Hollis hasn't had these things out for very long and there isn't a whole lot of feedback on them yet.

BTW does anyone know if they (Hollis) were included in the Tahoe 09 benchmark?

Oh and if there's a chance I'd love to try one out sometime :)
Last edited by Mattleycrue76 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
BTW does anyone know if they (Hollis) were included in the Tahoe 09 benchmark?

Oh and if there's a chance I'd love to try one out sometime :)
i read on scuba board they weren't in the test and neither was another scooter but i cant recall the name.

yeah specs aren't always like the makers says it is. So i remain skeptical on the 60ft lbs of thrust.
ERP
Just Settling In

Post by ERP »

I'd think that you could make meaningful comparisons of thrust, but not speed. But I suspect even that is significantly colored by testing methodology.
I don't think the Hollis was in the Tahoe benchmark.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

and matt i had to pull up the internet acronym dictionary just to understand wtf you was saying so i have compiled a short paragraph....out of junk

spatman: AWGTHTGTATA

Me: AYCOOYM YAOTM

Joshua smith: WMTFT!!!!

Mattlycrue76: ILSHIBATF IKYBYUWYTISBINSYRTWYHINWIM

H20docter: IUTHALORFH

Random guy in the background yelling: FTSAATSFDNORUAOTDA
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Dashrynn wrote:and matt i had to pull up the internet acronym dictionary just to understand wtf you was saying so i have compiled a short paragraph....out of junk

spatman: AWGTHTGTATA

Me: AYCOOYM YAOTM

Joshua smith: WMTFT!!!!

Mattlycrue76: ILSHIBATF IKYBYUWYTISBINSYRTWYHINWIM

H20docter: IUTHALORFH

Random guy in the background yelling: FTSAATSFDNORUAOTDA

TTSLFAGF

Time to start looking for a Girlffriend
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43074

if you are going to consider a non local scoot, this one is worth a look. i love mine
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Burntchef wrote:http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43074

if you are going to consider a non local scoot, this one is worth a look. i love mine
unfortunately EVERYTIME i reset my password i can never use it on the deco stop so i said fudge it. Is it the farrallon?
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

Dashrynn wrote:

unfortunately EVERYTIME i reset my password i can never use it on the deco stop so i said fudge it. Is it the farrallon?
n-19 from silent submerge

http://www.silent-submersion.com/Produc ... /N-19.html

that on the deco stop is going for $2600

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Burntchef wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:

n-19 from silent submerge

http://www.silent-submersion.com/Produc ... /N-19.html

that on the deco stop is going for $2600
i think some of those scoots are the one not ran at the Tahoe 09 benchmark. They seem pretty b/a too!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The headlight is a longtime fixture on the old Tekna's, its worthless. For the weight I'd go with a used short Gavin for ~$1k less over the Hollis. I would not buy a scooter on Ebay, too many scams, too little confidence in someone standing behind on the warranty.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

CaptnJack wrote:The headlight is a longtime fixture on the old Tekna's, its worthless. For the weight I'd go with a used short Gavin for ~$1k less over the Hollis. I would not buy a scooter on Ebay, too many scams, too little confidence in someone standing behind on the warranty.
i was hoping to catch a sierra used for around 2000, but everyone i looked at always was sold within seconds.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

Dashrynn wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:The headlight is a longtime fixture on the old Tekna's, its worthless. For the weight I'd go with a used short Gavin for ~$1k less over the Hollis. I would not buy a scooter on Ebay, too many scams, too little confidence in someone standing behind on the warranty.
i was hoping to catch a sierra used for around 2000, but everyone i looked at always was sold within seconds.
when i was looking for a used scooter i came across a few cheaper sierras in the 2300-2600 range but all with old batteries . imo thats what you need to be most carefull about, a new batt for a sierra runs $800. so if you get a $2000 with a dying battery you arent saving any money.

Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Burntchef wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
. so if you get a $2000 with a dying battery you arent saving any money.
exactly what i was thinking but i also thought to myself "if i find a used one with a f'ed up battery ill just buy a lithium battery and have a kicka$$ scooter"
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dashrynn wrote:
Not happening unless its an Echo with tired batteries

that's what Chef said!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ERP
Just Settling In

Post by ERP »

FWIW I've done a fair amount of business with Dolphin, I've done my fair share of diving up in Sacramento. I'd be pretty confident they'd stand behind anything they'd sell.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dashrynn wrote:
Burntchef wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
. so if you get a $2000 with a dying battery you arent saving any money.
exactly what i was thinking but i also thought to myself "if i find a used one with a f'ed up battery ill just buy a lithium battery and have a kicka$$ scooter"
Li-ion battery doubles your cost. And is pretty much overkill around here anyway.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

CaptnJack wrote:
Li-ion battery doubles your cost. And is pretty much overkill around here anyway.
im curious, why is that?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dashrynn wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
im curious, why is that?
Cause they are expensive as hell silly. Li-ion HID batteries are $300 each and you want one 10x that size for cheap??
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1337

You are trying to go cheap on the scooter and then get a $2800 battery???

If you have that kind of coin you shouldn't have to post here on whether plus minus a mere $800 is worth it.

Are you doing 4 hour dives, 3 dive charters? No? Then a NiMH battery is fine.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

CaptnJack wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
im curious, why is that?
Cause they are expensive as hell silly. Li-ion HID batteries are $300 each and you want one 10x that size for cheap??

If you have that kind of coin you shouldn't have to post here on whether plus minus a mere $800 is worth it.
wasnt sure how much the nimh batteries were, just got all excited about technology :breakdance: i was considering the new price vs used (2000) with new battery price.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dashrynn wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
im curious, why is that?

wasnt sure how much the nimh batteries were, just got all excited about technology :breakdance: i was considering the new price vs used (2000) with new battery price.
NiMH for ~1.5 dives are $800
Li-Ion for ~4 dives are $2800
In a Sierra.

Li-Ion in a Cuda are just rediculous
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

ERP wrote:FWIW I've done a fair amount of business with Dolphin, I've done my fair share of diving up in Sacramento. I'd be pretty confident they'd stand behind anything they'd sell.
I have also purchased from Dolphin Scuba in Sacramento... both in person and over the web. I agree, from my dealings, they are stand up folks.