Anyone use a MyFlex 7' reg hose?

General topics about technical diving.
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Anyone use a MyFlex 7' reg hose?

Post by Agent 47 »

So my 7' is starting to get a little worn around the base and it has me looking for a new one. I dive a myflex on my single rig and like it. Has anyone been using one of their 7 footers for their doubles?
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Anyone use a MyFlex 7' reg hose?

Post by cardiver »

Agent 47 wrote:So my 7' is starting to get a little worn around the base and it has me looking for a new one. I dive a myflex on my single rig and like it. Has anyone been using one of their 7 footers for their doubles?
I use a 7' Miflex on my single and I love it.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

I use a 7' and 24" for back gas, 40" for deco bottles, and a 24" for suit inflation. I really like miflex and have switched all my hoses over but one so far. People say the 7' are too floaty but this has not been my experience.
Last edited by Ken G on Sat May 22, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Ken G wrote:I use a 7' and 24" for back gas, 40" for deco bottles, and a 24" for suit inflation. I really like miflex and have switched all my hoses over but one so far. People say the 7" are too floaty but this has not been my experience.
And the hp hose looks pretty cool! It's smaller in diameter than a pencil......
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

cardiver wrote:
Ken G wrote:I use a 7' and 24" for back gas, 40" for deco bottles, and a 24" for suit inflation. I really like miflex and have switched all my hoses over but one so far. People say the 7" are too floaty but this has not been my experience.

Yeah, i was just playing with one that we have on the wall at the shop. its crazy small it just seems so counter-intuitive to use a hose that thin for HP gas.
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Agent 47 wrote:
cardiver wrote:

Yeah, i was just playing with one that we have on the wall at the shop. its crazy small it just seems so counter-intuitive to use a hose that thin for HP gas.
I use it and it's great. I thought the same thing though when Ifirst saw it.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
kagey747
Avid Diver

Post by kagey747 »

I use myflex on my single and double rigs. Love 'em. One thing to watch for is abrasion, they are pretty slick but if you trap them against something hard/abrasive (like the spray-in liner of a pickup truck bed) they WILL fray quicker than the old thick rubber hoses.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

kagey747 wrote:I use myflex on my single and double rigs. Love 'em. One thing to watch for is abrasion, they are pretty slick but if you trap them against something hard/abrasive (like the spray-in liner of a pickup truck bed) they WILL fray quicker than the old thick rubber hoses.

I tried one on my Bailout bottle for 1 wreck dive then pulled it off and put the standard one back on. It was frayed from the tank rubbing the wreck when squeezing though tight places.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

There have been a number of failures of the HP hoses -- I think they're not really there yet.

I don't use a Miflex hose, myself, but one of my buddies in Cave 1 had one. After doing dozens of air-shares with him, I came to the conclusion that I didn't like the handling characteristics of the hose. They're very "bendable", but they don't like being twisted, so they come across as quite stiff and more difficult to settle when you are sharing gas.

I am seriously considering them for my wing inflator and backup reg hoses, when those have to be replaced, though. I think the Miflex hoses will tolerate the bends for the routing of those hoses better.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

LCF wrote: I am seriously considering them for my wing inflator and backup reg hoses, when those have to be replaced, though. I think the Miflex hoses will tolerate the bends for the routing of those hoses better.

I was thinking the same thing...the way the hoses are routed on doubles, over and under and accross it seems the Myflex would be pretty snazzy!
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

Pualicarp has a hp miflex hose and he isn't very fond of it. The primary complaint seems to be that the hose is too floppy. When clipping off your spg it helps to have the stiffness of a standard hose.
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

trevorrowe wrote:Pualicarp has a hp miflex hose and he isn't very fond of it. The primary complaint seems to be that the hose is too floppy. When clipping off your spg it helps to have the stiffness of a standard hose.
just to clarify, I like them on the LPI and backup for the extra flexability. I do not use it for the longhose because the added flexability actually makes the deployment and control of the hose and second stage more difficult and less predictable, in my opinion. I do regret the hp myflex for the same reason- I just don't need the flexability on that hose and it lets the SPG flop and turn in ways I wish it didn't.

I've had no trouble at all with the quality of the hoses yet. I read something about a bad batch of them that they recalled. As I understood it, it was a limited scope quality control issue.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

[attachment=0]pickr.jpg[/attachment]

Because there isn't enough repititive scuba minutia on the interwebs I figured I'd chime in with my uselessly redundant opinion...I love to hear the sound of my own typing.

I have a 7' myflex and I'm decisively ambivalent about it. I'm glad that I didn't think it was the best thing on earth because I'm not sure I could afford to replace the rest of mine with myflex.

The thing I like about it the most is that I barely notice that it's there.... then again it's sometimes harder to find or notice that it's no longer tucked in.

In fact I find that without a can light the myflex doesn't stay tucked in well. The rubber hoses seem to stay in place more because they're less slickery.

Also if I'm not wearing a hood the 7' hose is scratchy on the back of my neck.

The next time I buy a hose I'll prob go the mylfex way... certainly an HP hose... but I don't think they're solving much of a problem.

-Eric
Attachments
pickr.jpg
pickr.jpg (20 KiB) Viewed 1404 times
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog