Rebreathers.....

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Locked
User avatar
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:58 pm

Rebreathers.....

Post by Jaksonbrown » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:51 am

Ok.. So im getting sick of packing lots of tanks around on the boat constantly going back to the dive shops for air...and I just heard that there is a rebreather on the market that can be bought new for under $7000.00??
Is a rebreather the solution? Do most of you rebreather dudes and dudettes just dive your rebreathers once you get dialed into them and give up your tanks permanently?

I have been considering buying a compressor, but then I heard that rebreathers could be bought more reasonably than I thought.....

Anybody have any links for these new rebreathers?

User avatar
WASP7000
Dive-aholic
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by WASP7000 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:53 am

I saw one on craigslist last week for like $3700...If I'd have known you were interested, I would have sent you the link.

User avatar
WASP7000
Dive-aholic
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by WASP7000 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:55 am

Nevermind, here it is!

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/spo/1759546692.html


Inspiration Classic Rebreather. $3800

For all the details and pictures please click here: http://www.extremeunderwater.com/inspiration.html
Serious inquiries only please.

(360) 936-7955


Location: Vancouver, WA
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

User avatar
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills
Posts: 7758
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:29 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by CaptnJack » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:10 pm

Jaksonbrown wrote:Ok.. So im getting sick of packing lots of tanks around on the boat constantly going back to the dive shops for air...and I just heard that there is a rebreather on the market that can be bought new for under $7000.00??
Is a rebreather the solution? Do most of you rebreather dudes and dudettes just dive your rebreathers once you get dialed into them and give up your tanks permanently?

I have been considering buying a compressor, but then I heard that rebreathers could be bought more reasonably than I thought.....

Anybody have any links for these new rebreathers?


Dude, sorry but you are a poor candidate for a CCR IMHO. You need to be absolutely meticulous with any RB since its pretty much continuously trying to kill you with either too much O2, not enough O2, or CO2 - and you are not a meticulous anal retentive about gear kinda guy.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.

User avatar
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills
Posts: 5781
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:00 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by John Rawlings » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:17 pm

Jaksonbrown wrote:Ok.. So im getting sick of packing lots of tanks around on the boat constantly going back to the dive shops for air...and I just heard that there is a rebreather on the market that can be bought new for under $7000.00??
Is a rebreather the solution? Do most of you rebreather dudes and dudettes just dive your rebreathers once you get dialed into them and give up your tanks permanently?

I have been considering buying a compressor, but then I heard that rebreathers could be bought more reasonably than I thought.....

Anybody have any links for these new rebreathers?


I haven't dived with Open-Circuit tanks since I bought my rebreather. There are actually several CCRs on the market that can be purchased new for under $7,000.00. For example, you can get a new KISS Sport, complete, designed for dives down to 150 FSW, for under $4,000.00.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

Image

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/

User avatar
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:58 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Jaksonbrown » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:19 pm

CaptnJack wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:Ok.. So im getting sick of packing lots of tanks around on the boat constantly going back to the dive shops for air...and I just heard that there is a rebreather on the market that can be bought new for under $7000.00??
Is a rebreather the solution? Do most of you rebreather dudes and dudettes just dive your rebreathers once you get dialed into them and give up your tanks permanently?

I have been considering buying a compressor, but then I heard that rebreathers could be bought more reasonably than I thought.....

Anybody have any links for these new rebreathers?


Dude, sorry but you are a poor candidate for a CCR IMHO. You need to be absolutely meticulous with any RB since its pretty much continuously trying to kill you with either too much O2, not enough O2, or CO2 - and you are not a meticulous anal retentive about gear kinda guy.


Thanks for your imput Richard,.. but seeing as we have only been around each other once and have never been in the water together.. how would you come to that conclusion? You dont know me from Adam.

User avatar
loanwolf
Pelagic
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:20 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by loanwolf » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:21 pm

Corry give me a call and lets have a drink and we can talk about the different units and what benefits and drawbacks are. Are you in your office today scotch sounds good Fred's?
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.

User avatar
spatman
I've Got Gills
Posts: 10881
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:06 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by spatman » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:26 pm

Jaksonbrown wrote:Anybody have any links for these new rebreathers?



i highly recommend mel's book. it gave me a great overview of ccrs in general, and the differences between the manufacturers' specific units.

http://www.ccrsimplified.com/
Image

User avatar
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills
Posts: 5781
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:00 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by John Rawlings » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:35 pm

Or, even better, attend Mel's Rebreather Experience: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12164
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

Image

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/

User avatar
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:58 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Jaksonbrown » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:43 pm

John Rawlings wrote:Or, even better, attend Mel's Rebreather Experience: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12164



Nice.... I emailed Curt... thanks for the heads up John!

User avatar
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills
Posts: 10228
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:32 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Joshua Smith » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:46 pm

John Rawlings wrote:Or, even better, attend Mel's Rebreather Experience: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12164



Yep. Also, fwiw, the Euro/USD exchange rate is favorable right now- and a new Revo can be had for around 5500$.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."

User avatar
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills
Posts: 5781
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:00 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by John Rawlings » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:56 pm

Jaksonbrown wrote:
John Rawlings wrote:Or, even better, attend Mel's Rebreather Experience: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12164



Nice.... I emailed Curt... thanks for the heads up John!


Just so that you know - Curt's over in the Red Sea right now, so he may not be able to respond right away....
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

Image

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/

User avatar
H20doctor
I've Got Gills
Posts: 4028
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by H20doctor » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:13 pm

i think after you Pass Mel's class...anyone can use a rebreather, Because Mel will drive it into your head and she is tough on you learning every inch, piece, and funtions of your Rebreather ... inside and out ..
Last edited by H20doctor on Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen

User avatar
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1467
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:43 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Sockmonkey » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:14 pm

I guess... I don't know a bunch about rebreathers... and I've never met Cory... but not wanting to haul and fill tanks doesn't sound like a really good reason to start adding major complexity to your recreational diving.

I say all that being very interested in the CCR world... but given how quickly and easily one can kill you I don't take the idea of learning how to use one very lightly. I would hope anyone would approach the possibility of buying with as much respect and fear as possible.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog

User avatar
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills
Posts: 2176
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:00 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Mattleycrue76 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:37 pm

Hopefully doing the Rebreather Experience will help shed some light on whether it's for you.


Now if we could just get Joe to try one we could could put these manufacurers claims of "foolproof rebreathers" to the test :neener:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith

User avatar
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1873
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:24 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Dashrynn » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:21 pm

So this is what I'm wondering.....if cory can't dive a breather because he isn't anal enough then why do people say all the timeto take a class but at the same time basically call you stupid? Also from what I have seen lights going off in anyones face will grab their attention....

Before I started diving I was the care free guy who didn't give a rats a$$, now diving is turning me into an anal, picky and set on a perfect way kind of guy.....and its getting worse...now if I can change then why can't cory???

User avatar
ljjames
I've Got Gills
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by ljjames » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:47 pm

i heard a rumor that cory actually has the most immaculately maintained scooter in the northwest...

he may in fact be a fine candidate for a ccr, i dont thinks its our place to judge...

so, on that note, if you (cory) ever want to take a look at the meg (in addition to mels ccr experience) i'd be happy to walk you through a breakdown & setup :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"

User avatar
Pez7378
I've Got Gills
Posts: 3256
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:09 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Pez7378 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:25 pm

Dashrynn wrote: Before I started diving I was the care free guy who didn't give a rats a$$, now diving is turning me into an anal, picky and set on a perfect way kind of guy.....and its getting worse...


I'll probably pay for this comparison, but that kinda sounds like Joe.

On topic, I watched Josh and John both fussing with their RB's at the Hideaway and it would be a stretch for me to exhibit the same care and patience in maintenance of their......uh, the units......

User avatar
ORDiver
Aquanaut
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:54 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by ORDiver » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:48 pm

Pez7378 wrote:On topic, I watched Josh and John both fussing with their RB's at the Hideaway and it would be a stretch for me to exhibit the same care and patience in maintenance of their......uh, the units......


Why would you be performing uncareful maintenance on Josh and John's units? Were you referring to how you would maintain your own unit?

User avatar
Pez7378
I've Got Gills
Posts: 3256
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:09 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Pez7378 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:08 pm

ORDiver wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:On topic, I watched Josh and John both fussing with their RB's at the Hideaway and it would be a stretch for me to exhibit the same care and patience in maintenance of their......uh, the units......


Why would you be performing uncareful maintenance on Josh and John's units? Were you referring to how you would maintain your own unit?



Crap! :uh: I mean, it would be a stretch, for me to exhibit the same care in maintaining my own "ReBreather"..........

User avatar
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills
Posts: 10228
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:32 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Joshua Smith » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:20 pm

Pez7378 wrote:
Dashrynn wrote: Before I started diving I was the care free guy who didn't give a rats a$$, now diving is turning me into an anal, picky and set on a perfect way kind of guy.....and its getting worse...


I'll probably pay for this comparison, but that kinda sounds like Joe.

On topic, I watched Josh and John both fussing with their RB's at the Hideaway and it would be a stretch for me to exhibit the same care and patience in maintenance of their......uh, the units......



It's both simpler, and more complicated, than it looks. At their core, RBs are very simple machines. I understand how they work very well. Whereas, I'm still pretty fuzzy on how an OC first stage works- there's a bunch of little sprigs and o rings and stuff, and somehow they give you gas even when you go deeper....

Anyway, I can take my completely disassembled Meg and do a good, thorough, ready-to-dive-any-depth-I want-to, build on it in about an hour- 45 minutes is typical. What I'm saying here is that it ain't rocket science. Staying on top of maintenance and being vigilant while you dive does require a higher level of attention than OC, but it's not complicated, nor is it a gigantic amount of work. And, yes- statistically, they are more dangerous than OC. On average, world wide, about one CCR diver a month dies, and we're usually never able to determine exactly what happened.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."

User avatar
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:58 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Jaksonbrown » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:04 am

ljjames wrote:i heard a rumor that cory actually has the most immaculately maintained scooter in the northwest...

he may in fact be a fine candidate for a ccr, i dont thinks its our place to judge...

so, on that note, if you (cory) ever want to take a look at the meg (in addition to mels ccr experience) i'd be happy to walk you through a breakdown & setup :)



Thank you Laura...

I have signed up for Mels class and will be purchasing a CCR soon enough... unless I absolutly hate the class,... which I doubt.

On a side note... Richard making that kind of statement just proves the old saying.....
If at first you assume,.. all you succeed in doing is make yourself into an ASS!!!

User avatar
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills
Posts: 4502
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:59 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Nwbrewer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:16 am

Jaksonbrown wrote:
ljjames wrote:i heard a rumor that cory actually has the most immaculately maintained scooter in the northwest...

he may in fact be a fine candidate for a ccr, i dont thinks its our place to judge...

so, on that note, if you (cory) ever want to take a look at the meg (in addition to mels ccr experience) i'd be happy to walk you through a breakdown & setup :)



Thank you Laura...

I have signed up for Mels class and will be purchasing a CCR soon enough... unless I absolutly hate the class,... which I doubt.

On a side note... Richard making that kind of statement just proves the old saying.....
If at first you assume,.. all you succeed in doing is make yourself into an ASS!!!


Dibs on Corey's OC gear!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)


"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman

User avatar
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills
Posts: 7758
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:29 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by CaptnJack » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:19 am

Nwbrewer wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:
ljjames wrote:i heard a rumor that cory actually has the most immaculately maintained scooter in the northwest...

he may in fact be a fine candidate for a ccr, i dont thinks its our place to judge...

so, on that note, if you (cory) ever want to take a look at the meg (in addition to mels ccr experience) i'd be happy to walk you through a breakdown & setup :)



Thank you Laura...

I have signed up for Mels class and will be purchasing a CCR soon enough... unless I absolutly hate the class,... which I doubt.

On a side note... Richard making that kind of statement just proves the old saying.....
If at first you assume,.. all you succeed in doing is make yourself into an ASS!!!


Dibs on Corey's OC gear!


Dibs on his boat!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.

User avatar
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:58 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Jaksonbrown » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:55 am

CaptnJack wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:
ljjames wrote:i heard a rumor that cory actually has the most immaculately maintained scooter in the northwest...

he may in fact be a fine candidate for a ccr, i dont thinks its our place to judge...

so, on that note, if you (cory) ever want to take a look at the meg (in addition to mels ccr experience) i'd be happy to walk you through a breakdown & setup :)



Thank you Laura...

I have signed up for Mels class and will be purchasing a CCR soon enough... unless I absolutly hate the class,... which I doubt.

On a side note... Richard making that kind of statement just proves the old saying.....
If at first you assume,.. all you succeed in doing is make yourself into an ASS!!!


Dibs on Corey's OC gear!


Dibs on his boat!



God your an ass Richard....

Locked