Intro and Dive Bio

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Celeus
Frequent Bubbler

Intro and Dive Bio

Post by Celeus »

Just an introduction-

Presently I dive open-circuit, but I'm strongly considering going the rebreather route, so I've been doing some research. I dive around here mostly (Alki, Banditos trips to the South Sound), with trips to British Columbia every few months and the occasional warm-water trip (Hawaii, La Paz, MX so far, and Roatan Honduras in a few months).

My first certification was around 20 years ago (Jr. PADI diver), but I stopped diving after around 20 dives until around 10 months ago. I'm diving at a rate of around 100/year at this point (67 dives since re-certifying). I have the typical average-diver certs through Stress/Rescue, and plan on taking the TDI Deco and SSI Divecon in 2007.

Non-diving, my background is technical, I have most of an engineering/Computer Science degree (I is a college dropout you see). I pay for my diving by doing network engineering/architecture. Gas laws and diving physiology are interesting to me, as I am an unabashed geek.

Thanks,

--Celeus
-- Celeus
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Welcome to NWDC Celeus! =D>

Good thing you have a good job to pay for this immersive habit (pardon the pun). #-o

So, why the sudden re-infatuation with diving? Seems like quite a bit of time went by and now you've realized that you love the sport (again).

Hope to see you around. :supz:
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

hi and welcome to the club! :salute:
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
straitscuba
Aquaphile

Post by straitscuba »

Welcome!
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

Welcome to the party!
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

welcome aboard matey! aarrrrrr
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

welcome Celeus!

Rebreather? Cool!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Just couldn't kick the habit eh? It's cool - you're among other addicts here too. Welcome! :partyman:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

I think if you asked my wife, she may describe me as a geek as well. Welcome aboard, er below or something. Calvin, your avatar is making me ill.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Welcome! Hope to see you in the water soon!
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Re: Intro and Dive Bio

Post by Dmitchell »

Celeus wrote:Just an introduction-

Presently I dive open-circuit, but I'm strongly considering going the rebreather route, ......

taking the TDI Deco and SSI Divecon in 2007.

Thanks,

--Celeus
Welcome

If you are serious about the rebreather, Drop a note to Mel Clark - "Scubagrunt" on this board and discuss it with her. I'd also recommend talking to her and make up your mind about the Rebreather before you do any "tech" courses.

Or, you can come to Alaska and do the tech courses with me in preparation for Mel's rebreather course! :evil4:

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Celeus »

Wow, thanks for the welcome!

I stopped diving mostly because I was living in Houston Texas, I found quaries and lakes boring and diving is not a good hobby for a poor college student.

Then there was the matter of working way too much and having a string of several _very_ close calls swimming/sailing (I was pretty much a fish growing up). It took quite a while before I was comfortable back in the water. At least I have some good stories, and its made me more pedantic about gear checks before I dive.

Some close friends here in Seattle got into diving, so a few more of us started. It's been an excellent way to get me out of the office and to take vacations, something I was always very bad at before.

Dave, it's interesting that you mention Mel Clark. I was planning on at least trying to chat with her before I made any decision. I've been leaning towards a KISS Sport, but I have some concerns about WOB, switching diluents under water and the depth rating. If I go with the KISS or Inspiration I think the Deco class will be folded in with the rebreather class, if not, the Deco class is more so I'll be comfortable if I end up in a situation and so I can hone my hovering skills, etc.

Thanks again for the warm welcome folks!
-- Celeus
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yeah, Mel is pretty much the person to talk with about rebreathers, and especially the KISS. Why are you interested in the sport model, as opposed to the classic, btw?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I'll hopefully be coming down in March or April to do a CCR course with Mel. I was down in November and did a Adv nitrox/Deco instructor course and had a blast!

I'm personally going with the Classic Kiss. When you look at the options, it's not all that more expensive than the Sport and is a much better unit.

The other one you should strongly consider is the COPIS Meg, Mel is one of the first instructors on that unit and was diving it when I was in Seattle it's a very nice unit.

I would do some serious research on the subject before getting too serious about an Inspiration/Evo. Just remember if it breaks, it has to go back to the UK vs. you being able to fix it yourself.

For the record, this is $.02 from a guy who's never dove a RB so take it lightly.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

welome celeus. you've hit the club that keeps us wet! lets go play with the fishes sometime. later!

good day!
jeff :supz:
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!