running a pneumatic cutter at 60ft.

General banter about diving and why we love it.
sitkadiver
Submariner

running a pneumatic cutter at 60ft.

Post by sitkadiver »

So I want to get the prop off an old schooner and I need to cut the shaft to do it. I thought I could run a pneumatic cutter on a pneumo line from a sling bottle, but even after I ran it at 140psi, when it only calls for 90, it was a no go. Anyone know how to move more volume through the air tool? Can it be disassembled without losing al the needle bearings? And has anyonme ever tried to drill out larger exhaust holes in one the these small air cutter tools.

I am trynig to do this on the cheap so I trying to put together a cutting tool fromstuff I already have in the garage.

Any advice would be appreciated.

IMG_1382.JPG
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
selkie
Submariner

Re: running a pneumatic cutter at 60ft.

Post by selkie »

Det Cord
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

selkie wrote:Det Cord
Yep that'l do it! :rofl:

Remember at 60 feet your at 3 times surface pressure so at 150 PSI you would only be getting 50 to the tool. At least that's my thinking but I have been known to be wrong once or twice. :penelope:
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

Surface air with a hose run down. The orifices on a tank are too small. You will never get enough volume. The little saw I looked up online sucks down 9cfm. Thats allot of air real fast. once pressure drops at that volume tool wont work for sh!t.
I know this working on the surface.
I like the det cord idea. sounds more entertaining too.
Good luck,
MJ
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Thought about det cord, but the wreck is only a couple hundred yards from the Coast Guard dock, and they have guns... ha ha

Also, I figured I would have to run a pneumo line from the surface, but with all the boat traffic in the channel I've been trying to stay away from extra hose.

Was hoping someone's tried a modification in the past. My 140 psi didn't do it, so I'm back to running a line form the boat...

Thanks
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

make a small manifold so you can hook up several tanks to it. That will get you the CFM's you need to run the tool. And give you the volume of air you need to run the tool long enough to get the job done. Most of them take like Mike said 8 or more CFM and you will never get that out of a SCUBA reg. Check what your saw needs then figure out how many minutes of run time you need then you will know how many tanks you will need.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

sitkadiver wrote: Any advice would be appreciated.

stop wrecking the wrecks ?
(you DID say *any* advice appreciated)