%$#@ it's COLD!!!

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

%$#@ it's COLD!!!

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Attempted to dive Redondo last night, but 3-5ft waves did not look promising. So we aborted.

Went in this morning. 47 degrees on my computer. Yeah, I was a bit cold. I didn't wear my heavy undergarment. But, I am a bit of a wuss anyway.

Vis at Redondo was about 10-12 feet. Not bad, considering the weather we have been having. I poked around the big pipe and I found the Red Irish Lord sitting on eggs. (Thanks Val for letting us know it was there!)

Still a lot of gunnels on the pipe boat and other places. It was a great dive but I was just too cold to do a 2nd.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I would kill for 47 degrees!! That's about the max we ever see. Right now it's 35 degrees!

Our definition of cold is when the you get out of the water and hike back to the truck. Then your buddy has to pry your frozen BC off your back!

Dave
Dave Mitchell
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

It was 48 degrees when we went last week. We still managed to do 2 dives although we didn't hit the hour mark on either one-53 minutes and 56 minutes.
Will probably be diving there on New Year's Day. The weather is supposed to be not too bad that day. And we won't be starting until 1pm so hopefully the air temps will be better than an early morning dive.
Even with the cold, there is still so much to see-all the gunnels, a Grunt or two, a Decorated Warbonnet, and many baby Red Irish Lords. I missed the one on eggs last time but my dive buddies saw it. I'll be looking for it next time.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sund was about 43 at depth on the NW Diveclub trip, with some surface water in the upper 30's. Keith and I registered a surface temp of 37 by one of the river inlets.

Today was one of the few times I've been cold diving!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

After the 45 minute mark at Redondo last night, I was very cold and shivering. Was glad when we finished ten minutes later. Going to start wearing long underwear bottoms, and a wool sweater tonight. I hope that takes care of warmth issues for the rest of winter. Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Why did I decide to sign up for Tech 1 in the beginning of Feb?
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

lamont wrote:Why did I decide to sign up for Tech 1 in the beginning of Feb?
Because hanging out on deco in cold water is your idea of what makes for a good Saturday?
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Dove at Cove 2 last night in a WET SUIT! I see why everyone decides to finally go dry in the winter diving months. I need a wet suit I suppose, but finding a house is tops on the priority list for now. However, as Diver_C pointed out, "you can probably find a dry suit for $500. You can't find a house for that much." Brrrrrrrrr.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!