Another New Member

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Pescadero
Frequent Bubbler

Another New Member

Post by Pescadero »

Hello:

My name is Skip. I was invited to the site by another of your members.

I am a fairly new diver, in addition to being a new member. I have had a life time of interest in diving, but raising a family and life in general, always got in the way. (Or I should say, I let it get in the way). I finally got my basic Open Water certification back in the summer and have never stopped kicking myself for waiting so long.

I live on the central Oregon coast and so dive Yaquina Bay, The "Fingers" and Alsea Bay quite a bit. To date, most of my dives have been fairly shallow Bay dives, where I have chased the elusive Clam and ever dangerous Dungeness Crab.

As I have gotten more familiar and comfortable with my gear, I have been developing the interest in additional training. I am scheduled for AOW in Hoods Canal, next month. The AOW class will allow me to experience some new water as sell as increase my skills.

I have gotten so interested in diving, I actually got my son the Basic Open Water Class for a Christmas present. With luck I will have a diving partner, right within our family.

Sorry for being so long winded. I am looking forward to getting to know you and having the opportunity to join you in some of your future activities.

Skip
(Pescadero)
Last edited by Pescadero on Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cure for almost everything is salt water. . . . . .
sweat, tears, or the sea !!
-Isak Dinesen
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Welcome Skip!

It's never to late to start diving.. I was pretty much the same.. Always wanted to start but never found the time.. Now I am kicking myself for wasting so many good diving years.. Ah well at least we are diving now right? I started in March and have 93 dives now..

Cheers,

Holly
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Welcome to NWDC Skip, we're happy to have you aboard! =D>
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

Welcome, glad to have another Oregon diver aboard.

Nick
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

always nice to see another oregonian to join. welcome.
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome Pescadero Skip! Is that your fishing boat in your avatar?

The Oregon contingent continues to grow... If this keeps up you guys will stop diving solo! :axe: (Sorry, inside joke!)

When are you headed for the Hood?

Let everyone know when you're headed North and if you're interested I'll bet you could stir up a dive buddy or three when you get here!

Welcome! :partyman:
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Welcome aboard sailor! You're welcome to come diving with us once you've swabbed the poop deck! :smt065
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome Skip!
Glad you are with us!
Soon there will have to be some club dives down in Oregon area.

Clear Lake, anyone?
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Welcome Skip... hope to see you under the waves soon!
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Pescadero
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Pescadero »

Thanks for the hospitality and warm welcome.

Trip to Hoods will be with ESDS (LDS from Eugene), taking AOW 1/12 through 1/14. Won't have any spare time on this trip, but will sure try to join you in the near future.

And yes, the boat in Avatar is mine. We enjoy ocean boating and fishing. Next is to get set up for local diving this summer. Hear there are some nice reefs and good Scalloping just off Newport shore.

Once again, thanks !!

Skip
-Isak Dinesen
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Hey Skip:

I Am So glad you took me up on my offer to join us here
These guys and Gals Rock, Did you know that you could dive your self silly here and no one would know the diff?
you see these folks are diving nuts

And by the way TOM
Whats wrong with Diving Solo ?

Skip we needto get together and do a dive soon im going nuts been dry way to dam long

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

well if you and your son ever make to the north end ( everett ) or even edmonds, look me up and i'll be happy to swim with the fish with you guys. later!

good !
jeff
:supz:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

sparky wrote:And by the way TOM
Whats wrong with Diving Solo ?
Hey Sparkster, NICE AVATAR! Must have been taken by a superior photographer! :supz: You need to come up and dive with us! Sounds like some good diving down Skip's way as well.

Wrong with diving solo? :toimonster: Did I say that? :violent1:
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Sparky,

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that you in a dry suit?
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
straitscuba
Aquaphile

Post by straitscuba »

Wwlcome Skip! If you ever find yourself on the Olympic Peninsula, send me mail and I will be happy to dive with you up here!
lostnbrownsmead
Avid Diver

Post by lostnbrownsmead »

Welcome from Brownsmead OR (near Astoria). I hope to dive in Newport sometime. Maybe Sparky and I can come down to Newport and try the water. Have you tried Netarts yet? Not very deep but lots of little stuff to see when the vis is good.

Welcome aboard

Jay
Lost some where called Brownsmead
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Welcome. My husband began his diving in Newport as well!!! Sorry about the bad vis down there!!! :bootyshake:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Pescadero
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Pescadero »

Brownsmead:
Sparky is the one who told me about Netarts, but I haven't made it up there yet. Mileagewise, it is not very far, but timewise it takes me almost three hours. Just haven't fit it in yet. Would love to have you both down for a dip in my area.

Cera:
With respect to the two bays, (Alsea & Yaquina) you are certainly correct. Pretty iffy on viz. The jetty areas seem to be a little more predictable. I don't have enough experience at it yet, but hear there are great days, although they are sporadic and somewhat unpredictable. Guess it means outside or up north, huh.
-Isak Dinesen
Pescadero
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Pescadero »

Straitscuba:

Just love your neck of the woods. Even kept my boat theee, in the public marina at PA. It is now down here in Newport with me.

Last time I was in PA, I was not a diver. I am still a greenie, but would love to do a couple of beginner type dives up there. If there is such a thing as "Beginner dive" up there. :dontknow:

Thanks for the offer. For sure, I will contact you before my next time up.

Skip
(Pescadero)
-Isak Dinesen
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

hey skip, in april i'm headed for vegas for 2 or 3 weeks. i plan on doing some diving in there some where. would you like to meet up in astoria and go diving then? and bring old sparky
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

jeff98208 wrote:hey skip, in april i'm headed for vegas for 2 or 3 weeks. i plan on doing some diving in there some where. would you like to meet up in astoria and go diving then? and bring old sparky
That would be so cool! An Oregon contingent NWDiveclub Oregon dive! Go for it guys! C'mon, Sparky! :rr:

If you guys do this make sure you post the dates / time, etc. I might even try and head south and join you! (Not that I'm greedy for dive opportunities, or anything!) :toimonster:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Yeah, all the Oregonian divers should get together. Post pics! =D>
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

let me know when you guys want to get together im in

but you do relise there is no good diving in Astoria we would hae to go to south about a hour or so

maybe even further

I do have a sopt here acrosss the river I have been wanting to check out but have to waite for beter weather a little choppy for my taste

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

I'm in. Good old Oregon coast. Ya gotta love it.
Doug :supz:
Pescadero
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Pescadero »

I am still somewhat of a light weight, having only my Basic OW. With luck I will achieve Advanced OW next weekend(1/13 & 1/14). That will still give me some time to gain experience, before the dive. If I don't feel like I am a liability, I would sure like to join you.

Skip
-Isak Dinesen