"Team" diving

Discuss Team Diving here.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

"Team" diving

Post by CaptnJack »

Starts on the surface...

Be on time, everyone's time is valuable.
Be organized, forgetting something occasionally is normal, constantly having broken or marginal stuff is not.
Ask where you can find something and look up information yourself before asking someone to look it up for you.
Take notes, try not to ask the same thing over and over.
Give to get. Want to be taken someplace? Maybe offer something in exchange.
Return borrowed stuff when you say you will, ask if you'll be late. Go out of your way to return stuff if you have to.
Its the thought that counts, offer to pay for the ramp or even $5 for gas if you carpool or are a boat guest.
Give back by taking out the latest students/interested divers & loaning your own gear when someone needs it.
Don't expect instructors to facilitate diving above your cert level.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Re: "Team" diving

Post by Pez7378 »

:goodpost:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Not sure who this is aimed at, but I'm feeling a big target on my back.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

LCF wrote:Not sure who this is aimed at, but I'm feeling a big target on my back.
Don't sweat it. 8 out of 9 is a pretty good score. Besides, the fact that you are concerned means you can't possibly be the worst offender. The worst offender is saying "No I don't."
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, in actuality, I am only guilty of half of one of them, anyway. It's just that the timing of this post seems significant.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:Well, in actuality, I am only guilty of half of one of them, anyway. It's just that the timing of this post seems significant.
Its all about you :uh: maybe not...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, Richard, you know I'm perennially guilty.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I thought all that stuff was just part of having good manners and being a decent human being. I had no idea it was specific to "team diving."
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Joshua Smith wrote:I thought all that stuff was just part of having good manners and being a decent human being. I had no idea it was specific to "team diving."
:goodpost:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Joshua Smith wrote:I thought all that stuff was just part of having good manners and being a decent human being. I had no idea it was specific to "team diving."
:thumb3d:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Dude....I cannot believe that you are so uneducated about certain things. They have a patent. :smt064
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

What "they"? Let's not go out of our way to create divisivness in the community. There is no "they" here ... only "we" with different ways of approaching an activity we all love.

That said, I don't understand the point of the thread. Yeah, those are things that most folks would consider common courtesy. But yanno what? We're all human ... and sometimes life gets in the way of perfection. Deal with it. We dive to have fun ... fun also starts on the surface. If you're all buggered out because your dive buddy shows up late, maybe it's not a good day to dive ... maybe your buddy got stuck in traffic or had some issues preventing them from getting there on time. Maybe they're just one of those personalities that doesn't handle schedules well ... we all know people like that. I have several of them that I consider dear friends (not to mention a sister who showed up late for her own wedding). So what? It's up to you whether or not you're going to let it bother you.

Forgetting stuff? Geez ... is there anybody who dives who hasn't forgotten something? More than one thing? I'll never forget the day I showed up at Cove 2 only to realize my entire doubles rig was still sitting home in my garage. Some of those of you reading this thread probably also remember it ... you were there ... and you had to wait an hour while I went home and got my gear. So what? Does that make me somehow less of a diver? Thank God my dive buddies didn't get all upset about it, and decided just to have a little good-natured fun at my expense instead. That's how it should be.

Give to get? I don't know a single person in this whole dive community who needs to be told that. If you feel like someone's short changing you on the exchanges we all naturally give to each other, well, perhaps a discreet word is more appropriate than a public reminder on an internet forum ... I think we all WANT to consider ourselves reasonable, giving people ... especially to our friends and dive buddies. And nobody's gonna respond to the a public thrashing in a desireable fashion.

Geez louise ... don't we do this for fun? If you're not having fun, maybe it's not your buddy's fault.

Team diving ... it starts with an attitude that I'm going to be supportive of my team mates ... I'm going to do my part to make them feel comfortable ... and be a welcoming, active part of the team. And when we have differences, or experience problems, we'll discuss it in a calm, professional, and PRIVATE manner so that nobody on the team feels like they need to respond defensively. Because defensive attitudes only make the team weaker.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong ... but this thread feels like a slam ... even if that's not what it was meant to be. Let's not do that ... especially to the friends we dive with.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Grateful Diver wrote:Forgetting stuff? Geez ... is there anybody who dives who hasn't forgotten something? More than one thing?
No idea what you're talking about, Bob. I don't forget things....no way. Uh uh.....no way did I dive without fins yesterday because I forgot them. No way did I use Lauri's scooter for propulsion.

(Lauri and April....shhhh)
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Grateful Diver wrote:Team diving ... it starts with an attitude that I'm going to be supportive of my team mates ... I'm going to do my part to make them feel comfortable ... and be a welcoming, active part of the team. And when we have differences, or experience problems, we'll discuss it in a calm, professional, and PRIVATE manner so that nobody on the team feels like they need to respond defensively. Because defensive attitudes only make the team weaker.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong ... but this thread feels like a slam ... even if that's not what it was meant to be. Let's not do that ... especially to the friends we dive with.
We're all guilty. Maybe instead of reading it like a personal slam everyone can just step back and think about the little things they bitch about in private. And realize that someone else probably has a nit they are griping about you (or me or whomever). And that you may have mad skills in the water but that being "team player" starts a little before that.
John Rawlings wrote:Dude....I cannot believe that you are so uneducated about certain things. They have a patent. :smt064
I put this thread here for a reason, the fact that you had a sharky response anyway just reiterates why I don't want to dive with you.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I put this thread here for a reason, the fact that you had a sharky response anyway just reiterates why I don't want to dive with you.
This thread is headed downhill fast.

I spent a week diving in a group with John. He's a delightful man and tells good stories (although not as good as Curt's :) ). Although he was diving a rebreather and Peter and I were doing our GUE EDGEs, there was no friction, no rancor, no awkwardness -- just a bunch of people in a beautiful place doing a bunch of really good diving.

Which is the reality for 90% of us 90% of the time (or more). It's just, somehow, on the internet that we end up at one another's throats.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Guys, it's Friday. The weekend is almost here.

While the topic of this thread is not exclusive to team diving, and has good info (yes, common courtesy to most), it also can deteriorate quickly.

Friday seems to be the day things have a tendency to flare up. Please think before you post, and consider the possible context of others' posts (John did put a "poking" smiley in his post) before replying.

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

BDub wrote: Please think before you post, and consider the possible context of others' posts (John did put a "poking" smiley in his post) before replying.
no, you shut up. :joshsmith: :tomnic: :eric: :luv: :partydance: :angelblue: :neener: :partyman: :smt064 :thumbsup: :bye:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

spatman wrote:
BDub wrote: Please think before you post, and consider the possible context of others' posts (John did put a "poking" smiley in his post) before replying.
no, you shut up. :joshsmith: :tomnic: :eric: :luv: :partydance: :angelblue: :neener: :partyman: :smt064 :thumbsup: :bye:

Your next class with Bdub is gonna suuuucckkkk...... Can you say no mask, OOA, entangled in cave line with a drysuit flood?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

John Rawlings wrote:

Dude....I cannot believe that you are so uneducated about certain things. They have a patent. :smt064
I prefer to call it "intellectual property", we are "thinking divers" yanno

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nwbrewer wrote:
spatman wrote:

Your next class with Bdub is gonna suuuucckkkk...... Can you say no mask, OOA, entangled in cave line with a drysuit flood?
ha, will be anyway, regardless of whether i posted that comment...
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

In a undoubtedly feeble attempt to get back to the OP.....

I usually try and be a prepared and desirable dive buddy. But right after I got my DUI suit, I showed up at Cove 2 ready to dive with my usual buddy (my hubby). Neither of us ever gave any thought to the fact that my old drysuit had a proprietary hose connection (thanks Diving Concepts...no, really). So it was with great embarrassment that I was fully geared up when I realized that I had no way of connecting my hose to my DUI suit.

The dive was saved, though, when the really nice guy in the truck next to us (someone I never met before and who was there diving with his teenage son), loaned me a hose that fit my DUI suit. He had no reason to step in other than he was a nice guy and fellow diver who wanted to help out another diver in need. So I got to dive that day (as did my buddy) because of the kindness of a total stranger. None of us were GUE or UTD or any other sort of "team" divers...but I'd argue that we functioned as an impromptu team that day, because we all worked together to accomplish a goal...to get me in the water. LOL.

I'm not sure this post has any point, really, other than to remind everyone how (generally) nice, respectful and prepared PNW divers are....regardless of the acronyms they choose to include (or not) in their diving credentials. So, now....group hug everyone. :grouphug:

It's Friday....a great day to celebrate the good diving friends we all have here and our ability to dive on demand in the lovely waters of Puget Sound.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Great post Bob!

:)

be nice in our sandbox, go take out yer aggressions over at the DIR forum on Scubaboard ;) JUST KIDDING!! PLEASE DON'T!

and hey, a few of us are going out for some possible hiking and for sure diving this weekend out in the straits... Anyone who's not super grumpy and anal retentive should come along... those types won't have much fun cause this is gonna be a relaxed shore diving trip... Non-divers welcome (that's the hiking part and the surface picture taking part)...

:)

Grateful Diver wrote:What "they"? Let's not go out of our way to create divisivness in the community. There is no "they" here ... only "we" with different ways of approaching an activity we all love.

That said, I don't understand the point of the thread. Yeah, those are things that most folks would consider common courtesy. But yanno what? We're all human ... and sometimes life gets in the way of perfection. Deal with it. We dive to have fun ... fun also starts on the surface. If you're all buggered out because your dive buddy shows up late, maybe it's not a good day to dive ... maybe your buddy got stuck in traffic or had some issues preventing them from getting there on time. Maybe they're just one of those personalities that doesn't handle schedules well ... we all know people like that. I have several of them that I consider dear friends (not to mention a sister who showed up late for her own wedding). So what? It's up to you whether or not you're going to let it bother you.

Forgetting stuff? Geez ... is there anybody who dives who hasn't forgotten something? More than one thing? I'll never forget the day I showed up at Cove 2 only to realize my entire doubles rig was still sitting home in my garage. Some of those of you reading this thread probably also remember it ... you were there ... and you had to wait an hour while I went home and got my gear. So what? Does that make me somehow less of a diver? Thank God my dive buddies didn't get all upset about it, and decided just to have a little good-natured fun at my expense instead. That's how it should be.

Give to get? I don't know a single person in this whole dive community who needs to be told that. If you feel like someone's short changing you on the exchanges we all naturally give to each other, well, perhaps a discreet word is more appropriate than a public reminder on an internet forum ... I think we all WANT to consider ourselves reasonable, giving people ... especially to our friends and dive buddies. And nobody's gonna respond to the a public thrashing in a desireable fashion.

Geez louise ... don't we do this for fun? If you're not having fun, maybe it's not your buddy's fault.

Team diving ... it starts with an attitude that I'm going to be supportive of my team mates ... I'm going to do my part to make them feel comfortable ... and be a welcoming, active part of the team. And when we have differences, or experience problems, we'll discuss it in a calm, professional, and PRIVATE manner so that nobody on the team feels like they need to respond defensively. Because defensive attitudes only make the team weaker.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

spatman wrote:
dude ... ya forgot one ... :stir:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Grateful Diver wrote:
spatman wrote:
dude ... ya forgot one ... :stir:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Several actually, :taco: , :bootyshake: and the ever popular :pirate: .

Since this is the Team Diving forum, everybody go have a nice big glass of :koolaid: and relax in the sun. It's Friday.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

BDub wrote:
John Rawlings wrote:

I prefer to call it "intellectual property", we are "thinking divers" yanno
Now THAT'S the best way to respond to a smart-ass! :rofl:

And, just in case folks don't know, "I ARE one"! Most certainly!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/