"Team" diving

Discuss Team Diving here.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: "Team" diving

Post by airsix »

I think Richard's original post is great. Nowhere does it say these criteria are exclusive to team diving, but you can't really have team diving without them. They are fundamental and sometimes we get caught up in the minutia and forget important fundamentals.

I like what the late Coach John Wooden said about teams. He said that a team player is not someone who is willing to sacrifice personal interests for the sake of the team, rather they are eager to. All of the things Richard listed are fundamentally about not being selfish. I think that really is the root of it. To be a true and excellent team diver means you are not selfish. Again, this isn't exclusive to team diving, but it's not team diving without it.

With that being said, I want to be clear that selflessness is not in short supply here. I count many of you among the most selfless people I know.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Great post, Ben.

Although it's hard to take you seriously when there's a dog pooping in your avatar....
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

scottsax wrote:Great post, Ben.

Although it's hard to take you seriously when there's a dog pooping in your avatar....
Scott, Scott, can't you see that the dog is pooping in perfect trim? You could play cards on his back! This only adds to the great seriousness with which you can take Ben! :tomnic:

Boy, good thing it's the weekend, and glad to see that a few have not lost their sense of humor. :tomatoe:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I can't believe anyone is bickering about different styles of diving or who they would or would dive with while I can't even get wet for months. Screw you all, you should all be appreciating diving and the variety of styles of diving available to you, and the plethora of dive buddies who are able to go diving!

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Tangfish wrote:I can't believe anyone is bickering about different styles of diving or who they would or would dive with while I can't even get wet for months.
Cherry picker
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Tom Nic wrote:

Scott, Scott, can't you see that the dog is pooping in perfect trim? You could play cards on his back! This only adds to the great seriousness with which you can take Ben! :tomnic:

Boy, good thing it's the weekend, and glad to see that a few have not lost their sense of humor. :tomatoe:
His back is arched the wrong way ;)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

CaptnJack wrote:His back is arched the wrong way ;)
:rofl: :rofl:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

BDub wrote:
Tangfish wrote:I can't believe anyone is bickering about different styles of diving or who they would or would dive with while I can't even get wet for months.
Cherry picker
TWSS
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

limeyx wrote:
BDub wrote:
Cherry picker
TWSS
Aren't you supposed to be on a plane or something?

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

BDub wrote:
limeyx wrote:
BDub wrote:
Cherry picker
TWSS
Aren't you supposed to be on a plane or something?
Did she say that too ?

730 mate
Hoping for a surprise upgrade to "first" so we can get slaughtered for free
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Ewwwwww!!! I had to look after I read that..... again I say Ewwwww! that's a rather shitty avatar... Kidding airsix!
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Sorry about the avatar, everybody. It was what you might call an inside shout-out to some specific people and now that they've seen it I can change back to something less... crappy.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Team diving ... it starts with an attitude that I'm going to be supportive of my team mates ... I'm going to do my part to make them feel comfortable ... and be a welcoming, active part of the team. And when we have differences, or experience problems, we'll discuss it in a calm, professional, and PRIVATE manner so that nobody on the team feels like they need to respond defensively. Because defensive attitudes only make the team weaker.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong ... but this thread feels like a slam ... even if that's not what it was meant to be. Let's not do that ... especially to the friends we dive with.
We're all guilty. Maybe instead of reading it like a personal slam everyone can just step back and think about the little things they bitch about in private. And realize that someone else probably has a nit they are griping about you (or me or whomever). And that you may have mad skills in the water but that being "team player" starts a little before that.
Yeah, maybe so, but it still feels like something out of "Everything I really need to know, I learned in Kindergarten", or one of those dumbed down self help books. Kinda hard to believe it wasn't directed at someone in particular. Let me put it this way: If I really felt the need to write something like this to the local dive community, I'd probably just quit diving. Finding the right dive buddies can be a challenge, but this seems.....excessive.
CaptnJack wrote:
John Rawlings wrote:Dude....I cannot believe that you are so uneducated about certain things. They have a patent. :smt064
I put this thread here for a reason, the fact that you had a sharky response anyway just reiterates why I don't want to dive with you.
Your loss, boss. By the way, kettle, have you met my friend, pot? You're like, the undisputed heavyweight champion of "sharky" responses, Richard. Come on, just admit it. You are. You know it, I know it, and every single person reading this thread knows it.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Here I am in 98 degree heat having just finished a 31 mile road bicycle ride in the foothills of the rockies that makes 105 miles in the past three days. Having come up here from 435' elevatioin and a bit cooler this is an adaptation. I thought I'd check in with the PNW divers and see whats up. Maybe drool a little.

No drooling over this thread. I'm only chiming in to maybe ask the OP to be a bit more pointed if he is unhappy so it doesn't hit at the wrong people. Very few people I know deliberately antagonize others. Fewer yet don't respond to well delivered criticism. Most I know get upset when they are hit by a broad side that has the context that might include them.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

I'm not going to speak for him, but I have spoken to Richard.

This thread is not directed at anyone, nor is he pointing fingers at anyone.

Nick and Jamie are in town and they're all out diving today and we're all diving the Diamond Knot and Warren Car tomorrow, so it'll be a bit before he chimes in, so I figured I'd chime in before speculation runs rampant.

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Okay, I am officially really ticked at Richard.

I needed to sleep last night, but instead I had a dream that I showed up for today's dive in my undergarment but with only a pair of shortie pajamas underneath it. Then I dropped a gauge and mount in the water, and dove in after it (soaking said undergarment) and came up with the mount empty and the gauge lost. Then, wet and despondent, I realized I had forgotten my dry suit and was going to have to tell the guys I couldn't dive, anyway.

Richard, it was all your fault!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

LCF wrote:Okay, I am officially really ticked at Richard.

I needed to sleep last night, but instead I had a dream that I showed up for today's dive in my undergarment but with only a pair of shortie pajamas underneath it. Then I dropped a gauge and mount in the water, and dove in after it (soaking said undergarment) and came up with the mount empty and the gauge lost. Then, wet and despondent, I realized I had forgotten my dry suit and was going to have to tell the guys I couldn't dive, anyway.

Yeah, but you showed up, did the dive, and had everything squared away. I enjoyed having you aall out on the boat, it was good catching up. Glad I didn't drop you on a pile of rocks.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

You could not have done a better job of placing that shot, if you'd swum down there to do it!

It was a good day; felt like old times, except nobody yelled, "Lynne, are you PEEING?" at me.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

BDub wrote: Nick and Jamie are in town and they're all out diving today and we're all diving the Diamond Knot and Warren Car tomorrow, so it'll be a bit before he chimes in\.
Diving?? Like in that cold water instead of on the Internet ??
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

limeyx wrote:
BDub wrote: Nick and Jamie are in town and they're all out diving today and we're all diving the Diamond Knot and Warren Car tomorrow, so it'll be a bit before he chimes in\.
Diving?? Like in that cold water instead of on the Internet ??
I know....It can be a tough concept to wrap your head around...... :idea:

Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

There are an awful lot of "I's" in all these post's about "Team" diving.. :angelblue:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Geek wrote:There are an awful lot of "I's" in all these post's about "Team" diving.. :angelblue:
Well, there are two "I"s in Team Diving.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

And "M" "E"..... "M" "I" "N" "E"....
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:Okay, I am officially really ticked at Richard.

:angelblue: :goodpost:

I will go back to movie quotes and mindless NWDC innuendo now.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.