thoughts on solo CCR diving.

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: thoughts on solo CCR diving.

Post by ljjames »

cool! thanks!!!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Re: thoughts on solo CCR diving.

Post by Gill Envy »

Laura, first off, thank you for taking the time to write this. I think it takes nerve to openly soul search in this community, it should be commended. We do need to keep asking why, whether it's a famous person, a friend or someone none of us have heard of who bites it while diving a rebreather every few weeks.
ljjames wrote:
public' knowledge of the incident leaves too much to speculation...

BUT, step back for a second and ask yourself, what if it wasn't wes we were discussing... what if it was one of us, here on this board? If we can have a reasonable discussion, talking about "what if's" that might influence one of us to get a FFM w/BOV, or give pause when we really want to go dive and can't find a buddy, then it was worth the keyboard time.
I say let's turn each case into a "what if" and just admit that pretty much all fatalities are speculation... I don't think we should hesitate to talk about them, the stakes are too high! Take the searching, take the concern and make it work for you on each dive to help stay alert.
ljjames wrote:... I don't pass any judgement on people who choose to solo dive on OC...

I do however stop and think a bit if someone likes solo diving on a CCR, or diving a CCR without Bailout (I've lost 3 friends in the last 5 years where lack of bailout and/or not having a buddy was considered a contributing factor in their death). Either they think their skills are such that THEY are going to be able to deal with a hyperoxia, hypercapnia, hypoxia event, where many people have not, or maybe they just got complacent, or perhaps they were just not scared enough of the machine (something missed in education?)... in the risk benefit ratio, free solo'ing with a rebreather (diving solo without a bailout) is beyond my comfort zone. It's cool if it's within yours, that's your business...
... if I look at something like the squirrel suit basejumpers in the alps and think "gosh i hope they don't have small children" or "I'll do this until which point i have a family, and then i'll probably take it down a notch", or "who will take care of my dogs if i bite it doing this".... then i question my reasons and see if there is a better/safer way to get the same thing accomplished.
I presume CCR diving is high risk and solo CCR diving as even higher risk and that while one may be able to mitigate those risks with a good attitude and preparation, I think it's best to assume you are taking substantial risk and are ok with that. I don't hold it against anyone who takes the risk with their eyes open. I have an 18 month old and another one on the way... CCR diving at all gives me pause whenever I do it. My wife dives CCR too. Oddly, diving as if my life is at stake turns out to not be as compelling as diving as if others lives depends on it. I've had relatives tell me how they hung the motorcycle helmet up or gave up diving while their kids were growing up and that I should think of doing the same... you know, "if I REALLY care about my family". All of this is sobering stuff, what can I say, it does make me think. I"m still diving, probably won't stop, but I do let it sink in and I think it helps me to renew my commitment to vigilance and that's a good thing. Reading threads like this also helps. Sitting around waiting for truly objective analysis to come out before pondering possible cause is for those who want to avoid an uncomfortable subject... I don't think waiting does anyone any good. certainly not the deceased.

ljjames wrote:Will i dive with someone who solo dives on a CCR? Yes, ask Cameron... Will I stand by and listen without comment if he tells me about his solo CCR dive? No...
I think that is kind of endearing, it shows you care about your peeps and that's cool... your feelings may change over time or not, but I'd be careful to not be judgmental with folks, what they choose to do on their own may seem reckless, but it's very hard to determine if it truly is for them. I do certainly understand the desire to not want to loose any more friends! this community is small enough as it is.
ljjames wrote:Will I let my CCR or OC buddy head to the surface without me? Quite simply, No. because if something happened between XX feet underwater and the parking lot while i was continuing along blissfully unaware, I would feel absolutely horrible. There are divers who don't mind just waiving bye bye and heading up, but i'm not one of them, and my buddies accept that fact. If they want to do 'those' types of dives (every man/woman for themselves), they do them with dive buddies other than me. That is their choice... That is my choice...
that sounds fair to me as long as you are clear with them and they agree. Mutual agreements are key and I do my utmost to keep the ones I make with my buddy.
ljjames wrote:<putting on flame retardant suit now>
I think as a community we really need to be sure that we are creating a good open atmosphere where people feel comfortable sharing posts like this without having to feel like they are sticking their neck out... I mean really, there is room for the jitters here. People do drop like flies in this sport and it is a tragedy and needs to be discussed, rehashed, speculated, etc... until it diminishes significantly. The fact that this forum is so silent suggests to me that we could use a little attitude adjustment and be more open to people "thinking out loud" and getting into the nityy gritty of their fears.
ljjames wrote:Was it complacency that killed them? depends on your definition...
I don't think that what is killing people is complacency per say. Pretty much right from the get go I've spent a lot of time following the abject denial about overall risk that exists in many divers in this community, listening to their arguments and watching the body count rise. the main reason, IMHO that this subject is so slippery is because the danger of diving CCR mainly exists in the obscure realm between design and diver habit, mainly human factors science and cognitive ergonomics. there is so much out there being applied to other fields that could be applied to ours so that we stop bumbling around in the dark, stumbling over misunderstood trail markers. I believe the risks associated with rebreathers befuddles some basic aspects of our human nature.

I do truly wonder if their is not something to be garnered from the human factors science and cognitive ergonomics realm that could not tell us objectively and specifically about why mCCR divers, solo or not, do not seem to be having the same high rate of mortality and in identifying these traits, find creative ways to apply some of those elements to a fully electronic system so that those who need and enjoy the convenience can do so with lower overall risk. I don't think training is enough to overcome the way that eCCR's seem to play into some basic human frailties, in ways that effect global risk, at least not for a substantial number of apparently very adept divers. I do have faith that some subtle design changes, combined with the high training standards that already exist, could make all the difference.

What we need is a big research grant and the people to carry out the studies!

Kind Regards,
George
Gill Envy

...because we weren't born with gills!