looking for info about DIR/UTD

Discuss Team Diving here.
brihno
Avid Diver

looking for info about DIR/UTD

Post by brihno »

Hi guys,
I noticed when checking out the GUE website that there is nowhere to train this style of diving in the PNW. I did find the Frogkick website though.

So is there really no GUE/DIR instructor located here? or is the GUE website not up to date?

Also what are the differences between the GUE style and the UTD International style (if any)?

Thanks for any information you can give; I have been interested in learning the DIR methodology for several years but I am college now. Soon college will be over and I'll make to Washington for a beginner class so I want to know as much as possible in order to make a good decision on org and particular school.

P.S. I am in the middle of reading fundamentals of better diving so I am sort of familiar with the general principles (at least as far as reading a book can get you familiar)

Anyway just want to hear all your thoughts on the matter...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: looking for info about DIR/UTD

Post by Grateful Diver »

If you want GUE, Guy Shockey lives in Victoria and has said he'd be willing to come down here for a class.

The local UTD instructors are well-known and respected here ... you can't go wrong taking classes with them either. Brian (BDub) is a member of the board, so I'll leave it to him to check in to answer your questions about UTD.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
brihno
Avid Diver

Post by brihno »

Thanks Bob,
I just have 1 question: isn't it kind of hard to dive with that giant beard an mustache? (kidding)
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

A group of GUE divers meet for "midweek tweeks" on Thursdays... Guy Shockey will hopefully come down in August to join us for a dive or two, so that people who are interested can meet him! (How cool is that!?!?) Anyhow, we are a really friendly group and Lamont can answer most questions ;)

We are looking to get a primer workshop together with Guy later this summer, and/or a fundies if there is enough interest!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
brihno
Avid Diver

Post by brihno »

I'd like to do fundies; but i am afraid it's not happening this summer. Poor college student and all that...
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

brihno wrote:I'd like to do fundies; but i am afraid it's not happening this summer. Poor college student and all that...
well, come dive with us, get some mentorship, do primer (its less expensive but will get you pointed in right direction and not building bad habits) and have fun diving!!
----
brihno
Avid Diver

Post by brihno »

what's the ~cost of primer?
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

well, that depends a bit on how good i am at rustling up students :)

if i can get together a group of 6 (a paid in advance, real group of 6) I have been in discussions with guy and secured us a group rate of 250 per person. the regular rate is 300 plus travel costs (so likely saving around $100 per person)

i'm very intersted in doing as much as i can to build the community out here, and have already offered up lodging and classroom at my place to help keep costs down :)
----
brihno
Avid Diver

Post by brihno »

Hmm, that's pretty reasonable. I'll have to talk to the wife.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

brian just posted some info on the upcoming UTD class schedule, and both he and jeanna are always very accessible to answer any questions you mighty have about UTD, either through this site or their own frogkickdiving.com.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

brihno wrote:Hmm, that's pretty reasonable. I'll have to talk to the wife.
I already have 1 other for sure, and two possible...
----
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Both GUE and UTD are "DIR" agencies. While there are some nuances and differences, such as the way decompression is taught, etc, they both teach team diving, building a similar mindset, gear configuration, developing awareness and similar protocols. The differences between GUE and UTD training are small enough that typically a simple, proper, pre-dive briefing is all that's needed.

I know Guy. He's a great guy and having completed the GUE Instructor Training Program, I'm sure he's a great instructor.

Given your geographic location, I do have a suggestion...

However, before going in to that, I'm going to throw out the old cliche of (gasp) "it's the instructor, not the agency". As a whole, both agencies teach similar skills in their classes (yes, you can pick apart the differences, but in the grand scheme, they're very similar). However, how well you mesh with your instructor is very important. Though a good instructor is able to read and adapt to his/her students' communication style, if the communication styles are similar, and both are one the same page, it will be a much more productive learning experience.

As far as geographics.....while the skills you'll learn personally will be invaluable to you, whether you choose GUE or UTD, keep in mind that it's team-oriented training, and often times you'll leave the class with a lot of stuff to work on. So, when you leave Seattle with all these new fancy skills and things to work on and return home eager to practice the new skills, you won't have anyone to practice with. Or if you do practice with someone, they won't be able to give you the feedback you need to know how you're progressing, since they haven't had the same training and don't have the eye for it. Basically, what I'm saying is I'd strongly consider building your own team and either come up to Seattle or Victoria, or bring an instructor out to you, so you can get the full benefit of the training, long after the class.

Edit: You may want to consider Don Chennavasin, a UTD instructor, or Beto Nava, a GUE instructor, both in the South Bay and Monterey area.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
brihno
Avid Diver

Post by brihno »

thanks for the great replies, I think I may strongly have to consider building a team as you suggest. This would certainly seem to make the most sense.

I totally agree about the instructor vs. agency thing though. My initial c-card is a PADI card. But the instructor was an old hard hat Navy diver in the 50's and 60's. He was kind of a 'my or the highway' guy. But I consider the training I got from him to be some of the best I have had. Especially when I watched some guys from another of the local shops do things like block up an entire boat ramp with their trucks and gear so that no one else could use the ramp at all (including boaters) or I also saw people from that school walking through the sand at the beach just letting their gear drag through the sand.

So cliche or not the saying is true in my admittedly limited experience.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I don't know any classmates for you in your area but if you come up here for apt. hunting or whatever drop us a note and let's go diving. I (as well as others here) have extras of just about everything gear-wise you could borrow. :)
Richard
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
brihno
Avid Diver

Post by brihno »

Thanks for the offer,
I would love to come up and dive with you all. I will do so at my first opportunity.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Brihno, if you want somebody to dive with in the meantime, you can get in touch with Dave Herbert -- he's *dave* on ScubaBoard. He's in Medford, and has done UTD Essentials and Rec 2 (although before UTD was UTD). He's a nice guy and a beautiful diver, and would love a like-minded teammate.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Why would you want to dive DIR? Those divers all dive exactly the same way! Where's the fun in that?! :koolaid:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Sounder wrote:Why would you want to dive DIR? Those divers all dive exactly the same way! Where's the fun in that?! :koolaid:
Well, they try to anyway. Right, Doug? You're still trying, right? :tomatoe:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

airsix wrote:
Sounder wrote:Why would you want to dive DIR? Those divers all dive exactly the same way! Where's the fun in that?! :koolaid:
My favorite color is black...
brihno
Avid Diver

Post by brihno »

haha! but that's the beauty of the system right? After watching DIR 3 on google video, (and as a martial artist) I really like the idea of massive repetition of skills to become proficient. I also like black.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:
airsix wrote:
My favorite color is black...
I like cookies. Come to the dark side - We have cookies. :blackblink:

(Of course I have no idea what I'm talking about, I've just always wanted to say that. :neener:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

brihno wrote:haha! but that's the beauty of the system right? After watching DIR 3 on google video, (and as a martial artist) I really like the idea of massive repetition of skills to become proficient. I also like black.
DIR diving, martial arts, and the color black... oy, you're already a lemming. You don't happen to have an affinity for Crown Royal and tactical shooting, do you?
brihno
Avid Diver

Post by brihno »

I don't care for the crown but I do like tactical shooting...
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

brihno wrote:I don't care for the crown but I do like tactical shooting...

Crown is just a Sounder thing. To Truly be DIR you must like Beer. Or Koolaide.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
brihno
Avid Diver

Post by brihno »

I like microbrews just fine! One of my favorites is Rogue Ale. On a bigger scale I am a fan of Pyramid and Widmer. I really used to love that Widmer Black Raspberry. too bad they don't make that one anymore (at least that I can find)