Back to film for a while

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Back to film for a while

Post by gutholmj »

Now that I've gotten over my mourning period from losing my camera, I'm back to film for a while. I took the Nikonos V out to Sunrise and Redondo this week. At Sunrise I was shooting with a 1:1 extension tube. On full-frame 35mm the depth of field is ridiculously shallow. Even at f22 it's only a few mm. I forgot how hard it is to get right. Then all my pics are not framed correctly. I need to get used to how far into the framer the imaging area is.

At redondo, I switched to a 1:3 which is quite a bit easier be still challenging. I'm actually amazed ho close I could get the framer to some of the subjects. Film definitly has some nice advantages in dynamic range but I can't wait to get a new digital. I'm lusting for a Oly PEN in a 10bar housing.

Anyone looking for a Nikonos V and Substrobe MV (TTL). I need to fund my new camera.
Attachments
The one advantage of absolutely manual, instant reaction of the shutter when you hit the button.
The one advantage of absolutely manual, instant reaction of the shutter when you hit the button.
If I would have framed it better, this might have come out pretty nice.
If I would have framed it better, this might have come out pretty nice.
1:1, the framer was a mm away from his skin
1:1, the framer was a mm away from his skin
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Back to film for a while

Post by Norris »

That eye picture has amazing clarity.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

where are te rest of the film pics..? More More more
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I told you, doc! Digital can't touch film in clarity and color saturation......
Nice job, James. I look forward to seeing you with a new camera in the next couple of weeks.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

H20doctor wrote:where are te rest of the film pics..? More More more
The rest were too horrible to post but since you asked, here are a few more plus a few of my favorites shot with the same camera in Cozumel.

I think the nudibranch shot does really show off the high DR of film and the superb metering that the camera is capable of. This is just the TTL of the camera, no EV adjustments.

If I keep playing around with this camera, I need to get some better film and scan them myself. Perhaps I need to get chemicals for processing E-6 slide film and have a little lab fun.
Attachments
Image159.jpg
Image157.jpg
Image156.jpg
00200028.jpg
00200035.jpg
00200009.jpg
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I know , That fish eye picture Rocks... thats a Photo contest winner for sure :supz: :supz:
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

I'm curious as to what type of film you used for these.... I'm trying to work up the courage to take my nikonos out again sometime. Kodak Ektachrome VS has to be the best color film in the universe for UW photos! But it's nearly impossible to find a lab that will develop slide film anymore.

As for dynamic range, color negative film is a bit better than slide film, slide film is slightly better than a 'full-frame' digital SLR, a 'full frame' SLR is a bit better than a consumer level DSLR and point and shoots are the worst. The difference in dynamic range for film is based upon the differences in positive vs negative film, while with digital it all has to do with the physical size of the photosensor.

Digital images are sharper than film though.....so there's at least one advantage we can point to!
:rawlings:
Dan Hershman :smt024
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

H20doctor wrote:I know , That fish eye picture Rocks... thats a Photo contest winner for sure :supz: :supz:
I agree ... the "fireworks" effect is quite striking ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

dphershman wrote:I'm curious as to what type of film you used for these.... I'm trying to work up the courage to take my nikonos out again sometime. Kodak Ektachrome VS has to be the best color film in the universe for UW photos! But it's nearly impossible to find a lab that will develop slide film anymore.

As for dynamic range, color negative film is a bit better than slide film, slide film is slightly better than a 'full-frame' digital SLR, a 'full frame' SLR is a bit better than a consumer level DSLR and point and shoots are the worst. The difference in dynamic range for film is based upon the differences in positive vs negative film, while with digital it all has to do with the physical size of the photosensor.

Digital images are sharper than film though.....so there's at least one advantage we can point to!
:rawlings:
The new shots are with Kodak Gold 200. It was the only color film I could find at the local camera shop. They did not have any slide film. The Cozumel shots are on Ectachrome, ISO 400 IIRC. I'm really tempted to get an E-6 chemical kit. I think I still have my developing tank somewhere around the house.

I definitely will not be sticking with film as a long term solution but it is fun to do once in a while. Particularly using extension tubes, the framing is fixed so you really have to be creative in finding things to shoot that work with the frame you've chosen. I'm eyeing micro four thirds for my next camera but I'm still a little undecided. If I could get a housing for my DSLR, I'd go that route instead so I could take advantage of the lenses, etc that I already have.
SeattleYates
Aquaphile

Post by SeattleYates »

Wow - that eye photo ROCKS! :supz:

There's a reason so many images that graced the pages of dive magazines (and won contests) in years past were taken with the Nik V! You're right - the trick is getting the subject juuuuust right in the framer. But when you do, this eye shot shows how stunning the results can be! Great job! :notworthy:
Bruce Yates
Photography: http://www.UnderwaterReflections.com
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields