Wanna drop some weights? Drop some weight!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
SeattleYates
Aquaphile

Wanna drop some weights? Drop some weight!

Post by SeattleYates »

Well, I did my first dive in a drysuit in over a year this morning! It was actually a bit of a checkout dive (I didn't take a camera), not only because it had been so long, but because I had a kidney transplant 10 months ago (the new kidney is doing great BTW!), and I've lost 50 pounds since then! The silver lining of taking 70 pills a day for months on end and feeling nauseated much of the time is that it's a GREAT diet regimen! ;) Don't worry though - I weighed 280 before and at 230 now (I'm 6'5"), I'm in no danger of wasting away. :)

Anyway, my point is that for my dive this morning I was able to drop 12 pounds(!) of lead (compared to the last time I dove in this drysuit)! :eek:

So if you're feeling like that weight belt is just too damned heavy, either get a kidney transplant (:rofl:), or change your eating habits. For example, you might try having light beer with those tacos! :smt064
;)
Bruce Yates
Photography: http://www.UnderwaterReflections.com
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Wanna drop some weights? Drop some weight!

Post by LCF »

Congratulations on the weight loss, even if it wasn't really very much fun. And double congrats on the successful transplant.

I'd love to cut 12 pounds off my belt, but to lose 50, I'd have to cut off both of my legs :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

WOW! 12 pounds is a LOT! That would be very cool to be able to ditch that much weight. On both me AND my weight belt :D Will skip the organ transplant however, no matter how enticing that sounds... :tomnic:

Thanks for passing along your experience, Bruce.

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Wow. Congratulations on the weight loss and the successful transplant! I wonder if that ratio is about the same for everyone- ie, losing 5lbs of weight let's you lose 1lb of lead from your weightbelt?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Congratulations on the Success!
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
SeattleYates
Aquaphile

Post by SeattleYates »

Joshua Smith wrote:Wow. Congratulations on the weight loss and the successful transplant! I wonder if that ratio is about the same for everyone- ie, losing 5lbs of weight let's you lose 1lb of lead from your weightbelt?
It's actually almost a 4:1 ratio! And I have no idea if that's typical, although I'm sure it has a lot to do with that whole body mass ratio thing, i.e., what percentage of your body is fat vs. muscle. I know I lost a lot of muscle this past year, but at least half of that loss was ugly fat (and I do mean ugly!), which would be pretty buoyant! If you're mostly muscle, losing 8 lbs probably wouldn't drop 2 from your weight belt. That reminds me - I need to go exercise!
Bruce Yates
Photography: http://www.UnderwaterReflections.com
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

And I was going to complain about it being 95 today when my kid MADE me run 2 miles with him on the BPA trail. My goal is 230ish from 270 but I think I'll stick with running and forgo the organ transplants!
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

grats on the transplant bruce! sounds like everything is looking up!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

Wow! I must compliment you on your attitude! Few people would/could take a positive outlook on what you have been through. Positive people are really cool to hang out with.... let's go diving sometime.

Oh yeah, congradulations on your successes.

Jonathan