DCS and the road back - Edmonds 1/7/06

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

DCS and the road back - Edmonds 1/7/06

Post by John Rawlings »

I took another step today on the road back from my DCS hit, diving with Grateful Diver, Cheng and.....believe it or not.....Lostnbrownsmead, who was up from Astoria, Oregon. We dived at the Edmonds Underwater Park, making it easy to stay above 50 FSW as per my neurologist's instructions - you couldn't get that deep at EUP without a SHOVEL!

The visibility was poor due to the recent rains with a LOT of particulate material in the water, but the Cabezons were out in force, guarding their eggs and launching torpedo attacks on passing divers. Personally, I have a "deal" with the cabbies....they never go after me, but they DO ram the people I am diving with! That's the way that it worked today as well. Cheng took a shot of me staring eye-to-eye with a big cabbie on the dry-dock, and it didn't move an inch while I was there just inches away. Perhaps she'll post the photo here if it turns out.

Max depth for me was 38 FSW and total dive time was 1 hour, 11 minutes.....coulda stayed down longer but my wife Ginny had her world famous pot-roast waiting at home on the table! \:D/

I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and it felt like old times diving with Bob and Cheng again after so long. It was GREAT finally meeting Lostnbrownsmead as well! (NOW.....if I can just see with my own eyes that the fabled "Sparky" exists!).

Thanks to my three buddies for a most delightful dive =D> .....another step on the road back!

- John
Last edited by John Rawlings on Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Hey John :

Welcome back in the water Bro i see hou you are dive with my dive budy but not me . I knew I should have made the trip up today I actuly thought about heading up but decided to stay home and do some laundry instead

I cant belive it you guys are all out haveing a good time with out me

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Well John ... that's quite a deal you have with the cabbies. That one cabbie must've thumped me five or six times ... one time it actually HURT!

Damn thing was determined ... I thumped him right back every time ... hit him so hard with my light once I think I spun him around a time or two. Stupid thing just charged right back.

Good dive ... now all I have to do is figure out why my suit flooded ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Well for a return dive back in Edmonds UWP the attacking Cabezons must have been a nice touch. Welcome back to the water.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Glad to hear another good report John. I guess the entry at EUP wasn't as "interesting" as at Redondo last weeK?

By the way, I had a better look at the Redondo entry on Saturday, and it really has changed. More rocks exposed due to the increased runoff eroding away the sand and gravel. The bottom step is a long way from the ground now! (especially for a short person). The channel from the runoff is substantially deeper and longer than it's been before.

-Valerie
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Grateful Diver wrote:Well John ... that's quite a deal you have with the cabbies. That one cabbie must've thumped me five or six times ... one time it actually HURT!

Damn thing was determined ... I thumped him right back every time ... hit him so hard with my light once I think I spun him around a time or two. Stupid thing just charged right back.

Good dive ... now all I have to do is figure out why my suit flooded ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Wow! 5 or 6 times?!!!! That's a far, FAR better deal than I actually made with him! I only suggested that he ram you ONCE! HA! (Hmmmm.....I wonder if he's going to want more money for the extra bumps...... #-o )

Zen Diver 2 wrote:Glad to hear another good report John. I guess the entry at EUP wasn't as "interesting" as at Redondo last weeK?

By the way, I had a better look at the Redondo entry on Saturday, and it really has changed. More rocks exposed due to the increased runoff eroding away the sand and gravel. The bottom step is a long way from the ground now! (especially for a short person). The channel from the runoff is substantially deeper and longer than it's been before.

-Valerie
SO.......you really WERE standing in a hole as I suggested? \:D/

I'll be diving again this Friday and hopefully one or two more times this weekend, weather permitting.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:Glad to hear another good report John. I guess the entry at EUP wasn't as "interesting" as at Redondo last weeK?

-Valerie
That last step changes regularly with the tides ... next week we have some large exchanges during the late evening/early morning hours. That's likely to push the sand right back up to the top step (it's happened three or four times recently) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Bob - Don't you have a similar deal with the cabbies? Maybe Sparky is a better one to ask about it! #-o
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great Report John!

I also can see a movie coming on... "Dances with Cabbies", starring GD!

It's sure to be an Oscar winner!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Grateful Diver wrote:

-Valerie
That last step changes regularly with the tides ... next week we have some large exchanges during the late evening/early morning hours. That's likely to push the sand right back up to the top step (it's happened three or four times recently) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Glad to hear that... I was thankful for a couple of rocks next to the wall that I could step on to hoist myself up. It was a LONG way to that first step! I had suggested an escalator or at least a hoist, but the idea didn't get far!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Tom Nic wrote:
Glad to hear that... I was thankful for a couple of rocks next to the wall that I could step on to hoist myself up. It was a LONG way to that first step! I had suggested an escalator or at least a hoist, but the idea didn't get far!
I was getting ready to request the Dive Butler be present for Redondo dives! :prayer:

-Valerie
H20doctor

Post by H20doctor »

we dove Edmonds last sunday the 7th and it was also quite exciting to see the cabbies protecting the eggs.. they didnt bother us though... possibly because we were using my dive scooters and we were zipping around...
peo
Avid Diver

Post by peo »

H20doctor wrote:we dove Edmonds last sunday the 7th and it was also quite exciting to see the cabbies protecting the eggs.. they didnt bother us though... possibly because we were using my dive scooters and we were zipping around...
Be cautious. Last time I checked, scooter diving is not allowed in the city of Edmonds.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

That is my understanding too Peo. It's in the Edmonds City Code and I think it is posted at the park.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!