Diving with Redundancy

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Diving with Redundancy

Post by Mongo »

Do you dive with redundant equipment?

If so, what equipment?

How is it configured?

Thanks for your time,

Jonathan
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Re: Diving with Redundancy

Post by WylerBear »

Yep. Second computer, AL40 pony, spare mask, back up light even on day dives, 3 cutting instruments, spool, safety sausage (in addition to the small lift bag and reel on my BC). Computer is wrist mounted, pony is slung, mask, extra light & spool in pockets. Knife on my BC hose, cutter attached to one of my wrist computers, shears in pocket.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

WylerBear wrote:Yep. Second computer, AL40 pony, spare mask, back up light even on day dives, 3 cutting instruments, spool, safety sausage (in addition to the small lift bag and reel on my BC). Computer is wrist mounted, pony is slung, mask, extra light & spool in pockets. Knife on my BC hose, cutter attached to one of my wrist computers, shears in pocket.

dido
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

loanwolf wrote:
WylerBear wrote:Yep. Second computer, AL40 pony, spare mask, back up light even on day dives, 3 cutting instruments, spool, safety sausage (in addition to the small lift bag and reel on my BC). Computer is wrist mounted, pony is slung, mask, extra light & spool in pockets. Knife on my BC hose, cutter attached to one of my wrist computers, shears in pocket.

dido
did you say dil....oh wait nm

I sling a 40
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Recreationally? Not really, I bring expect a buddy to carry "my" spares and the reverse. For bigger dives I start adding redundant stuff but usually just a spare mask, shears on wreck dives (above and beyond the knife I have all the time), and sometimes an extra gauge. This is not counting doubles and sufficient (deco) gas reserves.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I often carry a spare mask, because I use bifocals and without them, can't see my gauges or anything small (although I've gotten quite lax about it since I bought the Liquivision, because I CAN read it without them).

Otherwise, I have redundancy (doubles) for staged deco dives, cave dives, and sometimes for dives with new or unknown divers, depending on site and proposed dive.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

loanwolf wrote:dido

I was never much of a dido fan. Her music is just to whiny for me. Kind of like a watered-down version of Natalie Merchant.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i keep a spare brain in my left ass cheek. it's actually way more efficient than the one in my skull, but it's a bit of a hassle to deploy, especially at work where they look at me funny when i have my butt up on the edge of my desk facing my co-workers.
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

spatman wrote:i keep a spare brain in my left ass cheek. it's actually way more efficient than the one in my skull, but it's a bit of a hassle to deploy, especially at work where they look at me funny when i have my butt up on the edge of my desk facing my co-workers.
that's an interesting new place for a man to keep his spare brain...

back on topic, im glad you asked, mongo, since these questions have begun to roll through my mind, too
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

spatman wrote:...they look at me funny when i have my butt up on the edge of my desk facing my co-workers.
So....you're the one teaching lil' spatty all the bad habits. I knew it..... :stick:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

spatman wrote:i keep a spare brain in my left ass cheek.
(Oh boy . . . so many things to say here . . . but Blaiz beat me to it.)

But seriously . . . I carry a spare mask because with contacts, I'm NOT opening my eyes underwater. I also carry a back-up light on night dives. And even though my computer is air-integrated, I also have an spg. Of course, I'm rarely going deeper than 100 ft, NEVER going into overhead environments, and not diving solo.
Kelly
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:Recreationally? Not really, I bring expect a buddy to carry "my" spares and the reverse. For bigger dives I start adding redundant stuff but usually just a spare mask, shears on wreck dives (above and beyond the knife I have all the time), and sometimes an extra gauge. This is not counting doubles and sufficient (deco) gas reserves.
LCF wrote:I often carry a spare mask, because I use bifocals and without them, can't see my gauges or anything small (although I've gotten quite lax about it since I bought the Liquivision, because I CAN read it without them).

Otherwise, I have redundancy (doubles) for staged deco dives, cave dives, and sometimes for dives with new or unknown divers, depending on site and proposed dive.
+1 for both.

I always have a spare mask, and enough gas + more. Doubles and/or an Al40 (with a variety of gas depending on what dive we're doing and who I'm diving with) if in a dive as LCF outlined. Otherwise my buddy has my spare "whatever." Next time I'm in Bonaire, I'll be slinging an Al80 for redundancy with a DSS travel-stage-kit but will likely only break it out if I elect to go solo or monkey diving.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

So, err, where do you guys keep your spare mask? I finally took off the bloody snorkel because I kept grabbing it instead of the BC inflater hose, but then found I couldn't cram it in my BC pocket.... Can't imagine I'd be able to cram a mask in there?
The student was ready.

Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Blaiz wrote:So, err, where do you guys keep your spare mask? I finally took off the bloody snorkel because I kept grabbing it instead of the BC inflater hose, but then found I couldn't cram it in my BC pocket.... Can't imagine I'd be able to cram a mask in there?
Dry suit pockets, or glue them on a wetsuit if you're diving wet. Most useful devices, those pockets.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Mongo wrote:Do you dive with redundant equipment?

If so, what equipment?

How is it configured?

Thanks for your time,

Jonathan

To answer a bit more seriously:

I always have a spare mask in my pocket. I carry 2-3 cutting devices, and I have a computer as well as a bottom timer, supplemented by tables for deco dives.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Penopolypants wrote:
Blaiz wrote:So, err, where do you guys keep your spare mask? I finally took off the bloody snorkel because I kept grabbing it instead of the BC inflater hose, but then found I couldn't cram it in my BC pocket.... Can't imagine I'd be able to cram a mask in there?
Dry suit pockets, or glue them on a wetsuit if you're diving wet. Most useful devices, those pockets.
wuts a wetsoot? :partydance:

So can one glue pockets onto a tri-lam dui drysuit? or do they fall off? Dive shop to add them? I just don't know enough yet!
The student was ready.

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

You can glue pockets on a trilam suit, and it's not all that difficult to do. The pockets are better if you have them sewn on and sealed by a professional, but glued-on pockets do work (they tend to peel off over time from the corners). Although I don't enjoy sending anyone there, you can buy very serviceable pockets at the lowest price I know from 5thD on Alki.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

I'm looking for a pocket solution for my Fusion drysuit w/ the basic skin that's light and has no pockets (short of getting a new skin... someday, but not now).
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
SeattleYates
Aquaphile

Post by SeattleYates »

I've never carried an extra mask or more than one cutting instrument (this thread is making me think I should start!), but I generally have an extra computer in my BCD pocket, and most important (IMO) a pony - or for shallow dives at least a SpareAir. I'm a big believer in having a totally redundant air supply of my own, especially if I'm taking photos, when a buddy might drift around a corner while waiting for me to get a shot.
Bruce Yates
Photography: http://www.UnderwaterReflections.com
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

lavachickie wrote:I'm looking for a pocket solution for my Fusion drysuit w/ the basic skin that's light and has no pockets (short of getting a new skin... someday, but not now).

Check out PDM.

http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/category/ ... -Pants-188
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

loanwolf wrote:
lavachickie wrote:I'm looking for a pocket solution for my Fusion drysuit w/ the basic skin that's light and has no pockets (short of getting a new skin... someday, but not now).

Check out PDM.

http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/category/ ... -Pants-188

Oooooo! Me likey the tec jump pants.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

X-shorts
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

Blaiz wrote:
back on topic, im glad you asked, mongo, since these questions have begun to roll through my mind, too

Thanks. I have been growing my redundancy gear pile for a while now. It started with a spare mask, light, and cutting device. I now have worked my way to a 30 cu ft pony bottle and safety sausage. My most recent purchase was a wrist mounted computer with compass. It may be overkill but I would rather be safe. I believe I am almost too comfortable in the water and that in itself tells me I should plan for an epic failure.

I am also seeking input on how best to manage risk and how to best use this gear in the event of an emergency. I plan on joining the thursday TWEEK'ers one of these days to get an experienced point of view.

Thanks for your time,

Jonathan
Last edited by Mongo on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Nwbrewer wrote:
X-shorts
Yeah I was checking those out a couple weeks ago, just slip em on and go

**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Depends on the dive whether I have redundant equipment or not and just what the equipment is. For a shallow dive on a reef where maximum depth to sand is like 20 or 30 feet and I'm using an AL80 none. On the other hand on a fairly deep wreck dive where I'm going to be nosing around and maybe even penetrating I duplicate and maybe triplicate everything.

Now there is a very good argument for always doing all dives with essentially the same configuration to develop and maintain muscle and mind memory. I used to do that and may again. But, with the diving I'm doing now I just don't make that a habit.

Since masks have been mentioned I should say that it is rare indeed that I dive without a spare mask, even for shallow dives. I don't need the vision correction. But, sessions in training and actual persuaded me that the pain of diving with no mask was a painful thing that could be easily avoided by carrying a spare mask.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.