UW Cameras - Sea&Sea MX-10 Steal of a Deal!

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

UW Cameras - Sea&Sea MX-10 Steal of a Deal!

Post by nwscubamom »

I've been using this camera system for years now. It's a good entry-level camera, but with optional lenses (that you can change underwater) it can do more advanced tricks too.

It certainly has its limitations however. Super closeups are a problem. And it's a film camera - which most people don't want nowadays. Add the cost of film developing to it...and it can be a hassle.

But anyone who has sat through any of my Marine Life ID classes has seen what it can do - and it takes pretty decent shots, yes?

With the onslaught of digital cameras I highly suspect Sea&Sea might phase out this camera completely. I was thinking that if my current one breaks/floods, etc, it would be good to have a replacement. :)

So the other day I looked into a replacement from a dealer online. When I first bought it, about 6 years ago, it cost me in the neighborhood of $500.
Looking the other day I saw the price was only $149!! For camera AND strobe! Wow! I bought it. Today I notice the price is up higher, to $199. Still a steal.

Now I have my backup camera and I'm happy as a clam!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

What kind of clam? :book:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I think a Piddock Clam would be nice. Happy as a Piddock Clam.

Yeah, that's it.

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Janna "PC" Nichols for short...

-Valerie
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Hi Janna: About 3 years ago I picked up a complete camera set up with lens on Ebay for $250. I have since seen them go for under $200. It does seem nobody wants a film camera. When I bought my setup years ago I paid over $1000 (10 scuba units) for it. I do think that when mine dies I will just go digital since I love my digital land camera so much. I agree that they will quit making it. In fact I think I heard that they had last year.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Oh my, you're totally right. I just went to Sea&Sea's website and they have discontinued them.

Glad I got it when I did!!!

- Janna PC Nichols \:D/
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

They are great camera, take great land pictures also. If you are selective you can go several dives on one roll. The only disavantage I have run ito is when I go on trips I can't see what I took till I get home (or pay the god awful prices resorts charge for developing) Or when I am in a photo contest I can't retake like I can with a digital right away.

But very good beginner cameras.

Charles
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Yup, the disadvantages are there, that's for sure. But the color richness and depth can't be beat with digital (at least not the ones in my price range).

So, I use both depending on the type of dive.

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Well, gee Janna, if you have TWO of those cameras you can take 'em both down with you and shoot twice as many film pix, then still use the digital as a "back up" for the other shots.

(isn't Claude's middle name "Camera Caddy?")

-Valerie
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

J-
I'm probably never gonna use mine again. I'm keeping it as back up. So you have another back up with mine. Just let me know if you want it anytime and it's yours to borrow. Not that you'll need it now since you have 2 but you never know.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option