Just Realized I'm Missing Something...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Just Realized I'm Missing Something...

Post by Tom Nic »

I did my first dive at Three Tree North in about 3 or 4 months last week. Dropped in poopstorm viz and a ripping current. After pushing our way down to the Cabin Cruiser we discovered that there was lots of downrigger cable broken off and attached to the boat (as well as more on the tire piles). I attempted to pull some of it off and quickly realized there was too much of it for me to mess with. At the same time I got some wrapped loosely around my arm, and was able to quickly free myself.

I need to carry wire cutters.

I know this is a big "duh" for many of you, but after a first hand encounter with the downrigger cable I realized I am short on a critical piece of safety equipment. My dive knife would have done me precious little good if I had gotten too tangled.

This was not a "big", "deep", wreck dive, just a simple dive at one of our local mud holes. But that cable could be dangerous.

Thought I'd pass this along...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Re: Just Realized I'm Missing Something...

Post by scottsax »

Tom, approximately what gauge was that wire? Would EMT shears have worked, or would you have needed something like diagonal cutters?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Ya got me there... Being the non-mechanical type I can't tell you what gauge the wire was. Pretty flexible and pretty standard downrigger cable from what I've seen.

Perhaps I'm being unrealistic? Not sure, but I will certainly be looking for something I can carry with me in the future.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Tom Nic wrote:Ya got me there... Being the non-mechanical type I can't tell you what gauge the wire was. Pretty flexible and pretty standard downrigger cable from what I've seen.

Perhaps I'm being unrealistic? Not sure, but I will certainly be looking for something I can carry with me in the future.
I'll get a length of it from my brother and try out some cutting implements on it. I think I remember reading somewhere that EMT shears work for cable, at least once....

Does anyone make stainless/titanium dyke cutters?
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Answered my own question http://www.amazon.com/Aven-10355-ER-Sta ... B003E48D0I

Now, how do you rig a bolt snap to that?

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Paramedics shears should do it.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Standard EMT shears work great on the steel leader used with downrigger balls. I've had occasion to find out ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Anyone want some? They're $6.97 + tax for black handles through Amazon, and since I'm a Prime member, there's no shipping charge.

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

scottsax wrote:Anyone want some? They're $6.97 + tax for black handles through Amazon, and since I'm a Prime member, there's no shipping charge.
Heck, yeah! Since I managed to lose my last pair up in BC and haven't replaced it yet! I'll take two, please.....one for the drysuit pocket and the other for the good ol' Save-a-Dive-Kit!

Before I leap, though, is the hinge pin stainless? Nothing sucks more than the pin rusting away....

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

John Rawlings wrote:
scottsax wrote:Anyone want some? They're $6.97 + tax for black handles through Amazon, and since I'm a Prime member, there's no shipping charge.
Heck, yeah! Since I managed to lose my last pair up in BC and haven't replaced it yet! I'll take two, please.....one for the drysuit pocket and the other for the good ol' Save-a-Dive-Kit!

Before I leap, though, is the hinge pin stainless? Nothing sucks more than the pin rusting away....

- John
I have no idea... These are them:

http://www.amazon.com/Aven-10355-ER-Sta ... B003E48D0I

I'll see if I can find some additional information.

Edit: no immediate info on the rivet, except for: "Extra large rivet with a rated strength of 88kg assures rugged durability." I've sent an email to ADC asking for further information, explaining that they're for scuba diving.

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Hmmmm....the link is not of EMT shears....
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

John Rawlings wrote:Hmmmm....the link is not of EMT shears....
Whoops...
http://www.amazon.com/ADC-Medicut-Shear ... 335&sr=1-1

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Works for me!

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

REALLY appreciate all the replies. I'm also an Amazon Prime member so I'll order it myself.

I suppose if I'd taken one of Bob's classes or a tech class or some such someone would have talked to me about this - or perhaps they did and my worn out memory muscle simply forgot.

In any case, appreciate the affirmation and feedback!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Grateful Diver wrote:Standard EMT shears work great on the steel leader used with downrigger balls. I've had occasion to find out ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
And I'll bet there's a good story there!
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Could you order me a couple pairs and I'll pick em up at the club dive? does that work?
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

2 for John
2 for Blaiz
2 for me

Anyone else?

whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

I got tired of the EMT shears failing on me - I've tried a bunch of different kinds and they all seem to fail the same way - after only a few months of diving. The pin is generally made from a material that tends to corrode, but it is the blades that break - mine have all snapped right by the pin. I generally get the shears at no cost, and while they have worked well for me on stainless fishing leader, downrigger cable, monofilament, fluorocarbon, braid and handfuls of gillnet among other things, I am weary of pulling them out to use them only to find that one of the blades has snapped off. I spent ~$30 on a different type of cutters recently (bulkier but much heavier duty) and I'm hopeful that they'll provide better service.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

whatevah wrote:I got tired of the EMT shears failing on me - I've tried a bunch of different kinds and they all seem to fail the same way - after only a few months of diving. The pin is generally made from a material that tends to corrode, but it is the blades that break - mine have all snapped right by the pin. I generally get the shears at no cost, and while they have worked well for me on stainless fishing leader, downrigger cable, monofilament, fluorocarbon, braid and handfuls of gillnet among other things, I am weary of pulling them out to use them only to find that one of the blades has snapped off. I spent ~$30 on a different type of cutters recently (bulkier but much heavier duty) and I'm hopeful that they'll provide better service.
Link?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

I wasn't recommending them (yet) as I haven't had them long enough to find out if they hold up very well. But they seem quite sturdy, and a month in they're really not showing any signs of corrosion. Anyway - here is a link...

http://www.omsdive.com/cuttool.html

They're the "Emergency Cutting Shear" at the bottom of the page.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

scottsax wrote:2 for John
2 for Blaiz
2 for me

Anyone else?
The funky people would like 2 pairs if they can get here by the club dive? (oregondiver and funky diver)
THanks!
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

oregondiver wrote:
scottsax wrote:2 for John
2 for Blaiz
2 for me

Anyone else?
The funky people would like 2 pairs if they can get here by the club dive? (oregondiver and funky diver)
THanks!
+2 for the funky divers.

I'm going to go ahead and place the order.

scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Order's placed. After tax, they're $7.50 per shear, $15 for a pair.