Anybody have some canon weights?

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Anybody have some canon weights?

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I just tested my new canon housing (S90) in my fishtank and realized how buoyant it is without some lead. I know Canon makes some weights for their housings and I believe it's interchangable and with so many canon user on here I was wondering if anyone had any they aren't using and would like to part with? If so let me know how much you'd like for it.

Or, does anyone have some cheap easy DIY solution for this?
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Re: Anybody have some canon weights?

Post by WASP7000 »

I've got some extra split shot fishing weights, maybe you could just dump a bunch of those in the housing. I'm sure them rolling around won't hurt anything......
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:I just tested my new canon housing (S90) in my fishtank and realized how buoyant it is without some lead. I know Canon makes some weights for their housings and I believe it's interchangable and with so many canon user on here I was wondering if anyone had any they aren't using and would like to part with? If so let me know how much you'd like for it.

Or, does anyone have some cheap easy DIY solution for this?
You can just go get a 1/4" stainless bolt, drill a hole through a fishing weight and bolt it up Matt. Cut chunks of lead off the weight until it's neutralish.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

They are just a chunk of led with a 1/4" hole in them and a 1/4"x20 stainless bolt to hold them on. You might think about getting a metal tray and handle from optical ocean sales that's not a cheap fix but it will provide a mount for a strobe when you want one.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Have you tied a bolt snap on yet? A good sized SS bolt snap make mine negative. Otherwise a 1/4-20 SS bolt and some washers will do it. Let me know if you need something ground down.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

Nwbrewer wrote:Have you tied a bolt snap on yet? A good sized SS bolt snap make mine negative. Otherwise a 1/4-20 SS bolt and some washers will do it. Let me know if you need something ground down.

I tried this... I also have the S90 with canon housing, I put a rather large bolt snap on it to try and make it a little less positive, helped some, but not enough.

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

Or we could spend a few hours making a custom weight. It wouldn't be too much fab time to make a custom mold out of some steel and then pour a little lead. Its been a while since I've poured some lead, its about time for another pour.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Or just go to Home Depot and find a bolt, rubber washer and some SS washers. That's what I've done for many Canon housings. I finally just broke down and bought the darn Canon weight set since I'm on like my 5th Canon housing. I think it's ridiculous that they don't just design them to be neutral-ish.