Next time I'm calling Pop-A-Lock!

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ketralis
Aquaphile

Next time I'm calling Pop-A-Lock!

Post by ketralis »

So, we had a great dive at Edmonds today, myself, Norris, MZ, and Bfan all showed up. Dropped down into an eelgrass bed with SCORES of Hooded Nudibranchs, and I got some decent shots (only five because I didn't have a memory card :banghead: ) but not too bad for my first time taking any pictures underwater which I'll upload later.

But MAN I had terrible luck leading up to the dive. Forgot my boots, which it turns out I may have actually lost because I couldn't find them at home, and wound up buying a new pair; then, and this is the kicker, locked my keys in the car. So we dove, and it was nice, then I called first coast lock and key, my wife looked them up because apparently they're closest to the Edmonds waterfront. The girl that answers the phone then asks me a few questions:
#1 What city are you in... :penelope:
Response "Ummmm... E d m o n d s..." Okaaaaayyy

#2 Where are you?
Legitimate question right? so I gave a legitimate answer "I'm by the Edmonds Kingston Ferry terminal, in the parking lot just to the right of it."

#3 I can't find that in the computer, do you have an address?"
My response: "The Edmonds to Kingston Washington State Ferry Terminal" I said this slowly in case she missed it the first time...

#4 Do you have an address?
Once again: "The Edmonds to Kingston WASHINGTON STATE FERRY TERMINAL... It is a MAJOR LANDMARK!!!"

#5 But I need an address because otherwise the computer doesn't know?
For those of you who may not know, the Wa state ferry terminals do not HAVE physical addresses, apparently this makes it very difficult for the girl in the locksmiths office to have her technician contact me so I can just give him directions directly.

Finally, I gave her the zip code and address of the coffee shop right on the corner there, at which point she says to me, well, I just needed the zip code and the locksmith will call you in 5 minutes.......
45 minutes later
... :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

So anyway, the guy finally shows, and unlocks my car for the highway robbery price of 114 dollars and 0 cents, and when he tells me he has a credit card machine what he MEANS it that he'll use his pen to rub the top of a sheet of transfer paper with my card underneath it. So now I'm probably going to be wondering where that 30,000 dollars in credit card debt suddenly sprung up from. Yeah... Fun day.

Finally saw Mz and Bfans bubbles and waited for them to get out of the water before I left, and had a good laugh with Mz about the whole deal. But damnit, next time my wife can just suck it up and drive out to me with the keys!

-Kevin
Divers have to be safe when they go under the water. Divers can't go down alone, so they have to go down on each other. (Becky, age 8)
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: Next time I'm calling Pop-A-Lock!

Post by fmerkel »

Pretty funny, and sadly common.
After seeing it too many times my wife and I both have a spare key clipped to the BC.
Now I'm thinking I'll get a 3rd for the person most likely to make it back to shore first so they can get the O2 kit without busting out a window.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

fmerkel wrote:Pretty funny, and sadly common.
After seeing it too many times my wife and I both have a spare key clipped to the BC.
Now I'm thinking I'll get a 3rd for the person most likely to make it back to shore first so they can get the O2 kit without busting out a window.
I carry a key on my BCD; spares for my buddies probably wouldn't hurt. But I have to say, if the O2 kit is needed, the window is expendable!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I completely agree. But just like a key on my BC saves personal frustration, a properly place key on someone else's BC might save even more frustration. I think people might be reluctant to bust out a window for unclear decompression symptoms which would seem to be the most common kind.

Fritz
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

fmerkel wrote:I completely agree. But just like a key on my BC saves personal frustration, a properly place key on someone else's BC might save even more frustration. I think people might be reluctant to bust out a window for unclear decompression symptoms which would seem to be the most common kind.
IMVHO, if it's unclear, then there's time to get a car key out of a drysuit pocket. if it's obvious, the window is expendable.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Leave it to NWDC to help you out next time Kevin!
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

fmerkel wrote:I completely agree. But just like a key on my BC saves personal frustration, a properly place key on someone else's BC might save even more frustration. I think people might be reluctant to bust out a window for unclear decompression symptoms which would seem to be the most common kind.

Fritz
Good point. Last time we needed our O2 kit my wife had VERY serious pulmonary edema so there was no question. Since then I tend to see things in black & white, which probably isn't the best approach.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Mac
Aquaphile

Post by Mac »

An affordable adhesive-mounted keypad can be added to any Ford vehicle with electronic door locks. (http://tinyurl.com/2cdjqts) Just lock your keys in your car, go diving, then punch in the code when you get back.

I don't know if any other manufacturers make a similar keypad, or if there's a universal aftermarket product (A quick Google-search didn't turn up anything). A solution for Ford-owners though...
kagey747
Avid Diver

Post by kagey747 »

I keep spare door key in a magnetic box on all my vehicles, and brief my dive buddies where it is as part of the "emergency services" portion of my dive brief. I'd like to say that I've always done this, but it took paying a locksmith to learn.
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

I lock my keys in the trunk, then have a spare key on my BC and another tucked into the pocket of my drysuit underwear... but I'm considering getting a fourth key and maybe welding it to the exhaust or something. because I'm a ditz and I forget where the hell my keys are.
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Blaiz wrote:I lock my keys in the trunk, then have a spare key on my BC and another tucked into the pocket of my drysuit underwear... but I'm considering getting a fourth key and maybe welding it to the exhaust or something. because I'm a ditz and I forget where the hell my keys are.
Tough to find them in your underwear? Sounds like a job for a NWDC thong :rofl:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

My first truck was a little 75 Ford Courier. It was a very basic vehicle even for the time. Didn't really need a key, just a coat hanger and a pair of needle nose pliers (which I kept under the sheet of plywood "bed liner"). I would cut the hanger and shape a hook to pull the inside the door lock. Then cut a couple of jumpers off the hanger for the ignition and starter. I would just reach up under the dash and pull the plug off the key switch and jumper the plug. Took less than a minute, tops.

A while back I locked my self out of my car and was pining for the days when there were a hundred backup keys hanging from the rod in my closet.

I think I better put a key in my dive gear.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I Locked my van Running with the Keys In the ignition at Edmonds with Norris.. Ha Ha Ha Ha , so don't feel bad, I borrowed the ferry Dept Bag of Jimmy wires and got my lock open Via the window door trim
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen