DUI or BARE dry suit?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
doug7377
Avid Diver

DUI or BARE dry suit?

Post by doug7377 »

ok i cant figer out which dry suit i should get one made by DUI or one made by BARE what do you all think
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: DUI or BARE dry suit?

Post by Dusty2 »

Well it depends on the depth of your wallet. DUI make great suits but they are pricey. Bare makes good serviceable suits that are allot less expensive but they are not as custom tailored so you need to be within the size ranges they provide. They will trim the arms and legs within certain limits but that is about it.

Either is a good choice and will serve you well. The questions you need to asking is shell or neoprene, front zip or back zip, Latex or neoprene seals and how much can I really afford. I don't know where you live but if your close visit Wally at Tacoma scuba and he can give you good advise on what you need and the best prices on Bare suits.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

BARE, I need to be dry, not broke
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Geek wrote:BARE, I need to be dry, not broke

:supz:
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Dusty2 wrote:Bare makes good serviceable suits that are a lot less expensive but they are not as custom tailored so you need to be within the size ranges they provide. They will trim the arms and legs within certain limits but that is about it.
+1 for Bare (and especially ordering through Tacoma Scuba)

But I also agree that you want to stay within their standard sizes. Everyone I know who has purchased "off the rack" (with minor trimmings only) has been super happy with their suit--including me. Almost everyone I know who purchased a completely custom suit has had one issue or another.
Kelly
doug7377
Avid Diver

Post by doug7377 »

am doing all my diving in the nw i like bare cuz it in my price range right now
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I've had my BARE for over 3 years now and love it. Can't speak about DUI, never tried one.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

You're asking whether one should drive an Accord or a Mercedes. Both will get you from point A to B, but your experience getting there will likely be different.

Both Bare and DUI are suits that will keep you dry while you dive (or at least one hopes). The difference is that one is more expensive and, theoretically, offers a different user experience.

I have a DUI (as does my spouse), but neither of us bought them new. You don't have to spend $3k to dive in a DUI. In fact, each of our used DUI suits cost less than a new BARE, I believe. Even after we added the bells and whistles that we prefer on our suits (e.g. neoprene neck seals).
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

My wife and I dive Bare suits- which we love. We've never had any issues with the suits. I know folks that dive DUI, Whites and USIA and they love their particular suits too. Best thing to do is look at more than a few- try them on (with a thermal- like you are going to dive it), check out the features and quality of build, ease of donning/doffing, crushed neoprene/shell/ trillam or ??, ask folks how their experience with customer service has been, and try to contrast these these things with price.

One thing is for sure- you will be diving whatever you buy for a while so spend a little time checking them all out.

Personally, my suit is the el-cheapo Bare. No booties attached, so I have rock boots, and I've added dry gloves (awesome!) I prefer the latex neck seal- my wife has the neoprene. She has a pocket and suspenders- I wish I had both. Both are rear entry so we need help zipping and I can see how front entry would be nice. She also has a cuff dump which I would like to get too. Can you tell from reading this that her suit is a little cooler than mine? My suit still does great and (best of all IMHO) it is baggy so I can get in and out of it with ease. I probably look like a deflated OMS wing when I'm diving tho- haven't checked out pix of myself yet :)
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Dusty2 wrote:Well it depends on the depth of your wallet. DUI make great suits but they are pricey. Bare makes good serviceable suits that are allot less expensive but they are not as custom tailored so you need to be within the size ranges they provide. They will trim the arms and legs within certain limits but that is about it.
You can order a custom made Bare suit, it costs about $300 extra.

As far as getting a custom made suit correct the first time - it's all about the experience of the person who measures you. My girfriend Cindy had a Bare CD2 custom cut for her. The shop rep who did the fit spent 45 minutes doing the mesurements and explaining the process. Her suit fit perfectly the first time and hasn't leaked a drop in the two years she's had it.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

lizard0924 wrote:You're asking whether one should drive an Accord or a Mercedes. Both will get you from point A to B, but your experience getting there will likely be different.

Both Bare and DUI are suits that will keep you dry while you dive (or at least one hopes). The difference is that one is more expensive and, theoretically, offers a different user experience.

I have a DUI (as does my spouse), but neither of us bought them new. You don't have to spend $3k to dive in a DUI. In fact, each of our used DUI suits cost less than a new BARE, I believe. Even after we added the bells and whistles that we prefer on our suits (e.g. neoprene neck seals).
:joshsmith: :goodpost:

Try 'em both, and try a few more brands as you're able. There's no one brand that's right for everybody, that's why we have such a variety to choose from.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

+1 for Bare .... second choice would be an Atlan .. I get about 6 yrs worth of diving from my Atlan suit
Last edited by H20doctor on Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
msmith80
Just Settling In

Post by msmith80 »

and another for Bare.... cant beat the price and now just waiting for it to show up at Tacoma Scuba.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Had a Bare XCD2 Pro Dry and it was a good suit as far as keeping me warm and dry. And that's the point isn't it? I really thought the DUI TLS 350 suits "Looked" Cool, and well, everyone was diving them at the time. I spent three times the money for the DUI as I did for the Bare, and I was excited to have a suit that was custom fitted, made from lighter material, rolled up and packed more easily, dried faster and as it turned out.............LEAKED constantly.

Keep in mind that both of these suits are completely different from one another. Heavy compressed neoprene vs. Lighter Tri-Lam Shell. There is no perfect suit. The heavy Bare suit didn't offer the flexibility I was looking for. The DUI suit doesn't offer the comfort (ie. Warmth and Dryness). The Bare didn't require nearly the insulation, the DUI required considerable insulation.

Try as many suits as you can. You might just find out that you don't want a Bare or a DUI. There are a lot of options, but in the end, get what you can afford, dive it as much as you can and you'll learn to either love it or hate it.

I've got to make some repairs to my old TLS 350. When I can afford to, I'll be shopping for a new suit too.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

I have a DUI CF200SE Signature Series. According to DUI's website, that suit new will run you $2,878.00. I bought mine for $1100 used. Now granted, I've put a bunch of cash into the suit to improve/repair it (it had some leaks when I bought it, I didn't take good care of the seals or zipper, and I had neoprene socks, a new exhaust valve, and different pockets installed,) but it's been spread out over 2 years, and I still haven't reached the full retail price, which is a pretty good ROI, as far as I'm concerned. Especially since I'm dry and toasty warm at the end of a dive.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

All I can say is that I've had my TLS350 for over 4 years. It's gone on 500+ dives ranging from short funsies dives to extended range dives. It's gone scootering and played with GPOs and all other kinds of things and has literally traveled around the world in planes, boats, trains, and cars. My suit plays hard and takes a licking and keeps on going. Since I got the suit the only 'repair work' I've had done was replacing the zipper once. I did change out the standard seals to zip seals, and that's it. It has kept me dry. I don't know any other suit that would put up with the abuse that I dish out and keep coming back for more diving. :)

A quick suggestion would be to look at DUI's factory closeout or discount list. It's regularly updated and they have a variety of makes, sizes, and undergarments . You get all the bennies of "new" without the new price.

Happy diving!
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I have had a Bare HD tech Trilam for about 6 months or so and put about 100 dives on it so far. If I had to buy another suit tomorrow it would be this one hands down. For about half the price of what an equivalent DUI suit would have cost, I got a great suit, with all the options I wanted and a free undergarment thrown in. My only gripe whatsoever is that the pockets are glued and not sewn and they are showing some signs of peeling a bit at the edges.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

another vote for the CF200. awesome suit.

and + 1 on the DUI factory outlet page...

http://www.dui-online.com/fr.htm
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
doug7377
Avid Diver

Post by doug7377 »

ok went to the DUI factory outlet page and order ther flx50/50
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

huge congrats!! yer gonna LOVE it!!! two of my dive buddies (Rach and Koos) SWEAR by that suit :) best of all worlds...
----
doug7377
Avid Diver

Post by doug7377 »

yeah koos talk me in to dui
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

hehehehe... strong work KOOS!
----
doug7377
Avid Diver

Post by doug7377 »

Oh Wait i think Koos Has Picked Out All My Gear Or Pointed Me To It is some why or the other :notworthy: :thankyouyellow:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Nice One Doug!! I hear you ordered the suit! :) cant wait till you get it and we can work on your drysuit cert :)
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

doug7377 wrote:ok went to the DUI factory outlet page and order ther flx50/50
Excellent choice (that's the suit I have). I love mine. :luv:
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman