Dive/Ocean-related tattoos

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

So as I'm sitting here, sifting through images to come up with ideas for my upcoming turtle tattoo on my upper right arm, I'm realizing that most divers I know have some sort of dive- or ocean-related tattoo. So if you don't mind sharing . . .

What is your tattoo?
Where is it?
What does it mean to you?

And if so inclined, please share a pic!

I'll go first. I currently have a stylized wave anklet that goes all the way around my left left to symbolize my connection to the ocean.
wave.jpg
Kelly
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Re: Dive/Ocean-related tattoos

Post by ORDiver »

I have a full chest piece of a nude King Neptune riding a mighty, giant squid while holding a mermaid with one arm and throwing his trident at a warrior crab with the other.
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

ORDiver wrote:I have a full chest piece of a nude King Neptune riding a mighty, giant squid while holding a mermaid with one arm and throwing his trident at a warrior crab with the other.
Normally I'm not superstitious, but that tattoo has good luck written all over it!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

blackwater wrote:
ORDiver wrote:I have a full chest piece of a nude King Neptune riding a mighty, giant squid while holding a mermaid with one arm and throwing his trident at a warrior crab with the other.
Normally I'm not superstitious, but that tattoo has good luck written all over it!
+1
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Funny as I just got done drawing up my SCUBA related tattoo. I cant say what it is, but will post a pic when I get it, I think next week. I was really considering a lumpsucker as those are easily my favorite fish, but that may have to wait for another time.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

It took ages to finish it considering all I had to work with was a bic pen, a pushpin and a cigarette lighter. Good thing we were both serving 5 year sentences or I never would have completed it.
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

amusingly kelly ive been pondering getting a dive tattoo myself

should get a full chest tattoo of a lumpsucker or something
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Funny, that truck driver you met at the rest stop didn't mention it.
Kelly
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Norris wrote:Funny as I just got done drawing up my SCUBA related tattoo. I cant say what it is, but will post a pic when I get it, I think next week. I was really considering a lumpsucker as those are easily my favorite fish, but that may have to wait for another time.
Can't wait to see it!!!
Kelly
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

spatman wrote:
It took ages to finish it considering all I had to work with was a bic pen, a pushpin and a cigarette lighter. Good thing we were both serving
5 year sentences or I never would have completed it.
Hell Yeah brother. OSP's a bitch yo! S1W's!, Huey! All that s%&t! Power!
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

spatman wrote:
It took ages to finish it considering all I had to work with was a bic pen, a pushpin and a cigarette lighter. Good thing we were both serving
5 year sentences or I never would have completed it.
How did you get your rig inside, past the Man? You've got some talent!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

spatman wrote:
It took ages to finish it considering all I had to work with was a bic pen, a pushpin and a cigarette lighter. Good thing we were both serving 5 year sentences or I never would have completed it.
+1 LOL
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

ktb wrote:So as I'm sitting here, sifting through images to come up with ideas for my upcoming turtle tattoo on my upper right arm, I'm realizing that most divers I know have some sort of dive- or ocean-related tattoo. So if you don't mind sharing . . .

What is your tattoo?
Where is it?

I'll go first. I currently have a stylized wave anklet that goes all the way around my left left to symbolize my connection to the ocean.
wave.jpg

I feel like the tattoo should match to some degree the shape of the body part it's going on. For instance, a sea pen on the back of your calf matches shapes and the curve of both, adding to the tat's realism.

Makes you wonder about guys wanting lumpsucker tat's. Gee, where would they go? :angelblue:
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Re: Dive/Ocean-related tattoos

Post by Norris »

Fishstiq wrote:
ktb wrote:So as I'm sitting here, sifting through images to come up with ideas for my upcoming turtle tattoo on my upper right arm, I'm realizing that most divers I know have some sort of dive- or ocean-related tattoo. So if you don't mind sharing . . .

What is your tattoo?
Where is it?

wave.jpg

I feel like the tattoo should match to some degree the shape of the body part it's going on. For instance, a sea pen on the back of your calf matches shapes and the curve of both, adding to the tat's realism.

Makes you wonder about guys wanting lumpsucker tat's. Gee, where would they go? :angelblue:
well let's just say, at times it morphs into a blue whale

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
April
Dive-aholic

Post by April »

Octo on my foot and kelp on my left shoulder. What's next? A life sized hermit crab on my other foot the next time I see my tattoo guy... Unless I find someone up here I really like.
April
April
Dive-aholic

Post by April »

Oh, and they don't really have any special significance.

I've also been wanting a shark for longer than I can remember, I just haven't found the right spot for it.
April
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Octopus on my right ankle/calf area and a Spotted Ratfish on my right clavicle area. They are just 2 of my favorite critters. Next ocean critter will be a tropical fish-I'm thinking Boxfish cuz they are too cute for words. But I have to get another dog tattoo first so it will be awhile.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

WylerBear wrote:Octopus on my right ankle/calf area and a Spotted Ratfish on my right clavicle area. They are just 2 of my favorite critters. Next ocean critter will be a tropical fish-I'm thinking Boxfish cuz they are too cute for words. But I have to get another dog tattoo first so it will be awhile.
Georgia--I so agree with you on the boxfish! Did you see my FB pic of the blue one in Hawaii?
Kelly
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

My wife Kathy has this one on her right arm/shoulder. In case you can't tell, it's a diver and a boat, with a giant octopus and what's supposed to be a red rock crab, though the artist got the claws wrong (serrated on top). It's not finished yet; he needs to fill in some color on the rocks that the octopus is sitting on, and she's going to have him add our little friend Thomas the baby wolf-eel in the space to the right of the crab. Yes, it really is as huge as it looks. And I have to say, this guy is one amazing artist.
tattoo2.jpg
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

ktb wrote:
WylerBear wrote:Octopus on my right ankle/calf area and a Spotted Ratfish on my right clavicle area. They are just 2 of my favorite critters. Next ocean critter will be a tropical fish-I'm thinking Boxfish cuz they are too cute for words. But I have to get another dog tattoo first so it will be awhile.
Georgia--I so agree with you on the boxfish! Did you see my FB pic of the blue one in Hawaii?
Agreed :) Soooo adorable
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Anchor on the inside of my right forearm. Got it done about 6 months ago. Gonna add water/ocean stuff around it- haven't made up my mind what, exactly, I want yet.......
Attachments
21963_1245152683165_1059814582_30713156_6029032_n.jpg
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

I have an ever-growing "story tattoo" that you can sort-of see in my profile pic. So far, the diving related parts are waves/water, a sea-turtle, and two cave-arrows indicating completion of the 2 levels of training. In a few weeks I'm adding to the story, part of which will be to incorporate some of my dive activities this year. When it's done I'll have to shoot a photo of it.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Hey Kelly,
Just in case you didn't see it on FB. Here's my final design for the arm tattoo. :)
Attachments
1202001148.jpg
Cynthia Heimel
Berritt
Aquaphile

Post by Berritt »

I want a giant red octo wrapped around my torso with it's head under my ribs and the legs reaching to my mid back. But it'll never happen.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Berritt wrote:I want a giant red octo wrapped around my torso with it's head under my ribs and the legs reaching to my mid back. But it'll never happen.
Hey, we can arrange for that! All we have to do is put a Red Rock Crab right on.....oh, you mean a tattoo?

Never mind.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/