DEMA 2010 Highlights

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

DEMA 2010 Highlights

Post by Tangfish »

Despite the turkey coma I finally got all my thoughts on paper, er.... screen from DEMA last week. Highlights include the new X-Ray dive light, Liquivision and Uemis dive computers, a new recreational KISS SCR, a Light & Motion line of lights, and John Rawlings staying up past midnight (well, just barely).

You can read about the highlights from DEMA and see the photos of the shiny new toys over at AtlasOmega. :taco:

http://www.atlasomega.com/2010/11/dema- ... ear-guide/
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: DEMA 2010 Highlights

Post by kat »

way cool dive xtras light!!!
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

what is up with that monster rebreather?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

DEMA 2010 Highlights

Post by Tangfish »

It looked really, really nice.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

DEMA 2010 Highlights

Post by Tangfish »

Oh, somehow matt snuck that comment in between my reply to Kat. Yeah, Andy's Meg is ridiculous. Basically his bailout is also his diluent. It's sort of a hybrid between doubles and a CCR.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

so that's a UTD MX ccr?
dscuba
Aquaphile

Post by dscuba »

Did you happen to see the BARE SB System drysuit? I'm interested if anyone has any feedback about it.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:so that's a UTD MX ccr?
As I understand it, that breather is not affiliated with UTD, however there are many similarities. The concept is to have the bail-out gas be on your back, as your bottom mix. O2 is injected from the deco bottle which can also be used in OC mode. One thing I like about it is the gas-volume ability to bring a team-mate (whether they're on OC or CCR) connected to a traditional long-hose set-up for continuity. I'll admit, I've definitely got my eye on it... and now that Tobin's involved with modifications, I'm even more intrigued. :burntchef: It is, however, a large apparatus no matter how you slice it.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Negative. The UTD MX series is different. It has no solenoid or orifice, so 02 addition is fully manual. And current models appear to be made of Hammerhead parts.

This one is basically a stock COPIS Megalodon with some nifty Tobin hardware that more or less attaches a set of OC doubles to a CCR canister. The 02 is carried in a stage bottle, but still feeds a constant mass flow orifice as well as a manual add button.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

DEMA 2010 Highlights

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:
This one is basically a stock COPIS Megalodon with some nifty Tobin hardware that more or less attaches a set of OC doubles to a CCR canister. The 02 is carried in a stage bottle, but still feeds a constant mass flow orifice as well as a manual add button.
So similar to the MX predecessor, the MC?
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

So that kinda-of-a-rebreather-but-not GEM sounds pretty hot!!
Kelly
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

DEMA 2010 Highlights

Post by Tangfish »

My only beef with the GEM is that the bubbles come out right in front of your right eye. They're probably going to make an attachment to deflect them off to the side. Pretty cool if you can really triple the BT of an AL80.
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

Its absolutely rediculous, I spent some time looking it over at DEMA and its huge and cluttered amd basically IMO gives you the worst of all options. M thought is if you are going closed go closed, dont try and combine two very different tecnologies to solve a problem that doesnt exist. :angry:
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Agent 47 wrote:
Its absolutely rediculous, I spent some time looking it over at DEMA and its huge and cluttered amd basically IMO gives you the worst of all options. M thought is if you are going closed go closed, dont try and combine two very different tecnologies to solve a problem that doesnt exist. :angry:
Sounds like it's definitely not for you.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
So similar to the MX predecessor, the MC?

Yeah, pretty much.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."