Dive Clubs remove invasive tunicates from Sund Rock

General banter about diving and why we love it.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Dive Clubs remove invasive tunicates from Sund Rock

Post by nwscubamom »

Two northwest dive clubs have stepped forward volunteering their membership to help clean up the ever-spreading invasive tunicate, Ciona savignyi at a popular dive site in Hood Canal, Sund Rock.

The Kelp Krawlers of Olympia WA - president Amy Kurtenbach, and the Pacific Dive Club of Aloha OR – dive coordinator Dennis Lynn, combined forces with a showing of about 35 people to help with the cleanup effort on Saturday, Jan 27th, 2007. Special thanks go to Amy and the Kelp Krawlers for organizing the event and making the day go smoothly.

With chilling air temperatures in the mid-30’s, the dedicated divers geared up and waded into the cold 45 degree waters of Hood Canal to seek and remove the invasive tunicate Ciona savignyi. The pest has been plaguing South Hood Canal for the past year and spreads rapidly, taking over underwater ‘real estate’ and crowding out native species.

Divers removed the tunicate with varying methods – kitchen tongs, spatulas, hand removal and even homemade devices. All tunicates were collected in mesh bags and brought to the surface and put into a common bucket for counting. About 1500 individual animals were removed from the site.

The two dive clubs spent an hour in training learning about invasive tunicates prior to the event. A special collection permit from WDFW made the removal efforts possible. The two clubs were coordinated through Washington Scuba Alliance.

About 25 divers put in 33 hours underwater collectively over two dives. While divers worked underwater, others worked on record-keeping and cooking chili for the crowd. Altogether both clubs put in over 200 man-hours on the project. Thanks to Hood Sport ‘n Dive for donating free access to Sund Rock for this event.

Photos of the event can be found here:
http://nwgeogirl.smugmug.com/gallery/2402150

More information about the Washington Scuba Alliance can be found on their website:
http://www.wascuba.org

To learn more about invasive tunicates in Washington State, visit this website:
http://www.pnwscuba.com/critterwatchers/invasive.htm

- Janna :)
Last edited by nwscubamom on Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Woohoo! :boxing: Great work! :prayer:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

That's great ... where were we? We could have gotten even more of those varmints!
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Awesome effort!

:prayer: :prayer: :salute:
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Great job!=D>
Thank you :prayer:
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

The Kelp Krawlers plan on doing this cleanup on possibly a quarterly basis - at least several times throughout the year. And, it appears as though there's a good chance they'll want other dive clubs to participate with them, so stay tuned!

It was such a fun time, with divers getting really excited about the task.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------