newbie question on diving gear???

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Acquatic
Avid Diver

newbie question on diving gear???

Post by Acquatic »

Hello all,

I am very new to diving and currently i am looking to get my certification. But, meanwhile i am collecting info on the diving sport and i was wondering what is the function of diff gear/equipment. I know some of it coz its quite obvious.. but what about other things: e.g.

1) Wet suit: I assume that wet suit allows water to flow inside and actually water is touching your skin .. huh?? but then why its said that 6mm is more warmer than 3mm ?? <-- pls enlighten.

2) then what is the functionality of a dry suit ???

3) Hood: I believe if you are without hood then your head, ears and hair will get wet.. but then if you are wearing hood .. then does that mean they will be dry ?? so is the hood that tight around your face that it doesn't allow water to pass in at all ?? <-- pls enlighten.

4) Mask: i believe that mask acts like swimming goggles. Its tight and keep air between your eyes and the glass. So does that mean i can dive wearing my contacts ?

5) Dive computer: What does it do ? does it take readings of the dept, direction and pressure ?? but then we have other gauges for that.. don't we ?? <-- pls enlighten.

6) Dive knife: why do we need a knife underwater ?? is it for self protection from the marine life ? just in case a fish attacks ?? <-- pls enlighten.

7) Mouth piece regulator: Not sure if thats what its called but its that thing which goes into your mouth for respiration.. so i believe you inhale using that mouth piece but how do you exhale ? from the nose ? or you have a clip around your nose so that you don't accidently breathe water?? <-- pls enlighten.

8) BCD: Buoyancy compensator, does it take air from the tank when inflated ? but then when you want to dive, does it release the air out in the water? or stores it in another small tank ? and keeps using the same by doing in out in out ?
well i am assuming that if it releases the air then we are wasting precious air by moving up and down don't we ? <-- pls enlighten.

9) Ear equalization: Can we not use ear plugs when we dive ? <-- pls enlighten.

10) Are there any side effects of frequent diving on human body ? :))

Sorry for many questions but i want to learn as much as i can and make myself ready for my certification :D

Again thanks so much in advance.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Re: newbie question on diving gear???

Post by Dashrynn »

Hmm..... :popcorn: :popcorn:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Those are good questions ... and all of them are addressed and answered as part of the entry-level class. It would take several hours for me to provide you with suitable answers ... and that would undoubtedly only cause you to think up more questions.

My best answer is to suggest that you take the class ... and pay attention as your instructor covers this material as part of the curriculum. If something doesn't quite make sense, ask the question in a real-time environment. You'll get more understanding that way.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Welcome to the club, Please tell us where you live and what you think you want to learn and we can recomend local instructors that can help.

Your best bet would be to get your class materials for the agency that you are going to train with. Most all of these questions and a whole lot more will be answered by reading these.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Youy cert class will answer all of these questions.
1. The wet suit holds the water next to your skin so that it doesn't flow so that your body heat can warm it up. The thicker the suit, the thicker the insulation.
2. A dry suit keeps the water off so that you are insulated either with a layer of air or undergarments. They are warmer. I use wet in summer and dry in winter. Most experienced divers prefer dry year around.
3. Diving in Puget Sound without a hood is excruciatingly cold. A wet hood lets your head get wet, a dry hood doesn't. Both keep your head warm.
4. The mask covers your eyes and nose. Individuals are different, but my son dives with contacts.
5. Different computers do different things. Mine keeps track of my air, depth, time, and temperature. It computes my projected dive time based upon my air consumption and nitrogen absorption. If I incur a decompression obligation, it tells me the depth and time for my staged decompressions. It also monitors my ascent rate. If I change my gas mix, i.e. nitrox, it adapts to that. It is capable of a lot more but this gives you an idea.
6. The dive knife is a tool, not a weapon, to be used if you foul in fishing line, nets, etc.
7. With the overwhelming majority of regulators, you inhale and exhale through your mouthpiece. Since you need air delivered at greater pressure at greater depths, the regulator "regulates" the air.
8. Most people inflate their BC from their tank. With an ideal dive profile you add air while going down, and vent it off while ascending. A small amount of air is involved, so don't sweat it. (You argon divers can add to this if you want.)
9. Water pressure would drive earplugs into your ear and cause major damage. Don't even think about it. o.k., I know you already did.
10. Saturation divers have experienced osteonecrosis. Sport diving is different. I have been diving for half a century, and have experienced no ill effects, other than grumpiness if I haven't dived in awhile.
Good Luck
Happy to be alive.
Acquatic
Avid Diver

Post by Acquatic »

Thanks Oldsalt, that gives me a rough idea of what things are :)

The best answer which enlightened me the most was about the ear plugs :). I am a regular user of ear plugs coz i am a motorcycle rider and i need it on the freeway when i am doing 70+ in the wind. And they are the most imp thing for me.. but i never thought things are diff underwater :)

Thanks for all the answers.
Acquatic
Avid Diver

Post by Acquatic »

Oh also what is a back plate? And what are wings?

:)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Acquatic wrote:Oh also what is a back plate? And what are wings?

:)
It's a type of buoyancy compensator ("BC" or "BCD") that many people prefer up here for a variety of reasons. www.deepseasupply.com
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Acquatic,

If you can't get your class materials early, you might try picking up a copy of "Scuba Diving & Snorkeling for Dummies." It really exists and I'm not joking! By no means does it replace any OW training materials, but it *will* help answer some of those initial "What is that? How do you use it? Why is it important?" questions.

Enjoy your new obsession! :)

(P.S. And I dive with contacts all the time.)
Kelly
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

I agree with Ktb, surprisingly Scuba Diving & Snorkeling for Dummies is actually a good book *checked it out from local library instead of buying it*
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Ear Plugs - there is a variety call Doc's ProPlugs:
http://www.proplugs.com/

There is a version for SCUBA that has a tiny equalization hole specifically for diving. My wife and I use them and have for years. IMO (contrary to the marketing claims) they do not help equalization, but they don't hurt it either. They DO help keep cold water out of your ears and may be helpful for preventing a nasty condition called Surfer's Ear/extosis:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfer%27s_ear
Divers are not too prone to this but surfers (I'm a windsurfer) are prone to it and I have some early problems I'm trying to make sure don't get worse.

They are also useful in keeping lots of seawater out of the ear and may be helpful in preventing outer ear infections. This is far more common in the tropics than in our cold water but does happen here. Other preventative actions to help prevent this should also be taken.

Kudos for using ear protection on the bike. I also did when I realized all the wind noise wasn't doing my (declining) hearing any good.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

ktb wrote:Acquatic,

If you can't get your class materials early, you might try picking up a copy of "Scuba Diving & Snorkeling for Dummies." It really exists and I'm not joking! By no means does it replace any OW training materials, but it *will* help answer some of those initial "What is that? How do you use it? Why is it important?" questions.

Enjoy your new obsession! :)

(P.S. And I dive with contacts all the time.)
I'm going to get a copy and then have a video of me reading it underwater :angelblue:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

acquatic, I think you have a lot in common with the Elephant's Child . . . A good place to satisfy your 'satiable cursiosity is to buy the PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving. It's a very accessible book, full of tons of information about diving equipment, procedures, and physics, and more about the underwater environment. It'll keep you thoroughly amused until your class starts. You can buy the book at any PADI dive shop.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

LCF wrote:acquatic, I think you have a lot in common with the Elephant's Child . . . A good place to satisfy your 'satiable cursiosity is to buy the PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving. It's a very accessible book, full of tons of information about diving equipment, procedures, and physics, and more about the underwater environment. It'll keep you thoroughly amused until your class starts. You can buy the book at any PADI dive shop.
Gotta say- it's a fantastic book. Not without flaws, but it's an excellent overview of all things dive-related. Well worth the price.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Take the class and all of those questions will be answered!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Acquatic
Avid Diver

Post by Acquatic »

Again thanks for the pointers on the book. I will surely check it out at the library or buy it at the PADI shop and read :).

I have one more question though :) .. how long do we dive with one tank ? I am sure two tanks will lengthen that time but i read somewhere that one dive lasts around 15-20 mins... is that it ?

trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

That depends on a large number of factors, not limited to:

1) How much gas you personally consume (this varies greatly based mostly on comfort level, skill, physical fitness, etc)

2) The capacity of your tank (tanks vary in volume of gas and working pressures quite a bit). In cold water it is often beneficial to use a steel tank with higher volume. This both extends your bottom time and helps eliminate some of the weight you need to place on your bc/harness.

3) Your dive plan.

I frequently will dive ~ 1 hour on a single tank with gas to spare (I have a high pressure 119cf (cubic foot) tank). Moving to doubles (multiple tanks) is not as simple or affordable as one might think. There are lots of added considerations when diving doubles.

All that said, yes, your first few dives will probably only be about 20 mins long (maybe 25)! :)
Acquatic
Avid Diver

Post by Acquatic »

Thanks trevor. So the reason first dives are shorter is because we will be newbies ?

btw i already ordered the "Scuba diving and snorkeling for dummies" book at my local library :)
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Acquatic wrote: So the reason first dives are shorter is because we will be newbies ?
As a new diver there are many factors that come into play.
Smaller tanks are usually used during class and as rentals.
Being a new diver there are several factors that will cause you to breathe more air on a dive.
Unless you are a girl. I'm not entirely sure why, but girls seem to always use less air than boys.
Some day I hope I get accused of breathing like a girl :queenliz: :joshsmith: .
After nearly 600 dives I'm not there yet. :ballandchain:
But with my 100 cu ft, high pressure tank, I squeeze out 1 hour dives.
Many times a little less, because it's always better to have plenty of extra air at the end of a dive if something goes wrong.
Some day I will own a couple of High Pressure 130's. :pirate:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

Acquatic wrote:Thanks trevor. So the reason first dives are shorter is because we will be newbies ?
Long story short, yes. Everyone is going to be so excited they are going to be hoover-ing their air. It takes practice.
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

BASSMAN wrote:[
Unless you are a girl. I'm not entirely sure why, but girls seem to always use less air than boys.
That would be the amazingly small lungs that we girls have :taco: smaller lung capacity=less air used :neener: . I've got to say that it is definitely one thing that's actually useful about female anatomy.
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

citycatred wrote:I've got to say that it is definitely one thing that's actually useful about female anatomy.
i can't speak for anyone else, but there are many things i find useful about female anatomy.

:angelblue:
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

spatman wrote:
citycatred wrote:I've got to say that it is definitely one thing that's actually useful about female anatomy.
i can't speak for anyone else, but there are many things i find useful about female anatomy.

You mean like their small hands for getting in and washing the bottom of your favorite glass?
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

ORDiver wrote:
spatman wrote:

You mean like their small hands for getting in and washing the bottom of your favorite glass?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh yeah, that's EXACTLY what he meant.
Kelly
Acquatic
Avid Diver

Post by Acquatic »

I sm sure I am going to use up lot if air in the beginning coz I am nervous and excited :))